Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Anyone not getting snow?

My forecast for tomorrow aka "Evo Alert"
* AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THROUGH THE REGION WEDNESDAY EVENING... WITH WINDS INCREASING TO BETWEEN 20 AND 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH POSSIBLE BY THURSDAY MORNING. THIS WILL CREATE SIGNIFICANT TO SEVERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE AT TIMES. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO BELOW ONE HALF MILE WITH ROADS BECOMING NEAR IMPASSIBLE... ESPECIALLY OVER RURAL AND OPEN AREAS.

* DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THURSDAY AS TEMPERATURES FALL THROUGH THE SINGLE DIGITS AND BELOW ZERO. WIND CHILL VALUES OF 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD... CREATING A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR Evo CAUGHT OUTDOORS AND UNPROTECTED FOR MORE THAN A FEW MINUTES.
And I am supposed to see the doctor tomorrow and I still haven't replaced my donut tire from when I got that flat, and the stupid car is only a few inches off the ground.

Turbo has been hit pretty bad, Even Kurdt in England is getting 5 inches of snow today.

My aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchards near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.

How's your weather?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.

I actually like it :biggrin:.

My mother was in the hospital last week. She wants to live independently in her own house, but that is increasingly difficult for her to do. While she was laid up, I rounded up some of her grandchildren and we rearranged the furniture in her house so that she no longer needs to climb stairs. This involved putting some things from downstairs into the basement to make room for things from upstairs to come down. When we were done, one of the kids turned off the lights in the basement, except it wasn't the lights, it was the furnace. When I brought her home Sunday night, it was frigid, and being in the house just cut down on the wind-chill factor. We didn't get any snow, just bitter cold.

I'm not even going to tell you about the weather here.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm not even going to tell you about the weather here.
Come visit me MIH! The weather will be lovely.

I will bring you some sunshine. :cool:

Math Is Hard said:
I will bring you some sunshine. :cool:
Bring heat.

In central Illinois (America), highs maybe in the high teens (+ or- 5 degrees F) for about the last week and lows at night basically zero (+ or - five degrees F)---same forecast for the next week.

---with only one frozen pipe (on an exterior wall) so far

even the new dog, now house broken, is setting new time records for getting her jobs done when outside to get back inside

-now is the time for a good woman friend with a nice warm way of thinking

Can I recommend you host the winter olympics?
This time last year we had been under 1m of snow for a month.
This year warm, sunny and snow free.

And my poor wife is stuck "working" in Hawaii. Life's tough all around.

We're not getting snow in Houston... yet. Right now it's in the mid 40s. There's a chance of sleet/snow later this week and friday it's going to be close to freezing all day (very strange for Houston).

We'll see how my ski trip to Colorado later this month turns out :bugeye:

on these coldest days ---usually a high pressure dome---there are no clouds or few--PERFECT for rooftop solar panels----

--thats another desire for the new year---SOLAR PANELS ON EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE ROOF

A little bit of snow lying on the ground (say 5 inches) and few degrees below our zero, closer to your zero during the night. No wind, so it is quite bearable.

well, this is the first snow in my area all winter basically. It had snowed on Christmas Eve but that was all melted by Christmas morning. Right now it's been snowing quite steady since yesterday morning but it seems only to have accumulated around 6cm.
I remember as a child we would always have a white Christmas and although it wasn't as much as most of the areas surrounding us we still got quite a bit. (Mississauga is weird, I think it gets the least amount of snow in all of Southern Ontario) I hope sometime soon we start getting heavy snowfalls :smile: I like it when it snows.

Here in central southern England (near Southampton), we've got snow tonight, but so far here it's melting immediately here as we are a whisker above freezing. Only a few miles to the east (towards Portsmouth), traffic is now at a standstill because of heavy snow, and there's a "severe weather warning" for most of the area around here warning of a foot of snow overnight, which would be the most in this area since about 1963. However, Southampton and its immediate vicinity are now excluded from this warning, much the annoyance of my kids, who were hoping to be off school and playing in the snow tomorrow.

Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions. Major routes will be salted and gritted, but we don't have snow ploughs or similar in this area and smaller roads will be very difficult, especially where there is any slope. If there is snow, most schools in the area will close. However, I work from home, so I'd still be working as normal.

Temperatures holding steady 20 F/ -7 C for entire week with an inch blanket of snow.

I'd like to do some outdoor activities but it's too cold. Can't wait until it warms up.

-7 deg C and it is TOO COLD? Where do you live, Bora-Bora?

lisab said:
Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.

I actually like it :biggrin:.

I would rather be there.

Evo, MIH and I will send you some sunshine care packages.

Borek said:
-7 deg C and it is TOO COLD? Where do you live, Bora-Bora?

Borek-Borek, I should have been more clear. For the outdoor activity I had in mind was running a couple miles on the trail, but inhaling too much chilled air from a vigorous exercise can have some unforeseen health effects on the immune system. Other than that the temperature is not that bothersome.

Jonathan Scott said:
Here in central southern England (near Southampton), we've got snow tonight, but so far here it's melting immediately here as we are a whisker above freezing. Only a few miles to the east (towards Portsmouth), traffic is now at a standstill because of heavy snow, and there's a "severe weather warning" for most of the area around here warning of a foot of snow overnight, which would be the most in this area since about 1963. However, Southampton and its immediate vicinity are now excluded from this warning, much the annoyance of my kids, who were hoping to be off school and playing in the snow tomorrow.

Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions. Major routes will be salted and gritted, but we don't have snow ploughs or similar in this area and smaller roads will be very difficult, especially where there is any slope. If there is snow, most schools in the area will close. However, I work from home, so I'd still be working as normal.

7 inches (ish) in Manchester and it's only just stopped snowing, and to boot they ran out of grit. Good times.

We got hammered by a storm that took two passes over us. It started Friday with some moderate snow as the storm moved along the coast heading north east, then the snow moved up from the coast a bit and began backing over us (to the West) for another pass. We had wind conditions Saturday similar to a low-grade hurricane, with blowing snow that finally turned to light rain by Sunday, just to make the clean-up even more difficult. The ski-areas are happy. I am not. Our last two winters have been much warmer than normal (very few sub-zero days) with a LOT more snow, and it looks like we might be on-track for another one. 4-5 years ago and longer, people were practically giving away snowmobiles or mothballing them because the cold, dry winters didn't result in enough snow to ride them.

It's hard to judge just how much snow we got from Friday to Sunday, due to the blowing, drifting, etc, and the compaction from the rain. Suffice it to say that you aren't a native of Buffalo or Oswego, you would say we got a LOT.

I have been freezing cold sense New Years day. Highs have been -6 C for the day time. But night time with clear skies and wind, has become deadly cold.
We are really low on snow this year, we should already have 9 or more inches fall, with around 45 inches for the season. We have only had 3, leaving ski areas to make snow.

http://imgwe.com/accessbee/27/1.png [Broken]IT[/URL] get's even colder every year. A friend of mine in Hawaii said there temp drops half of a degree every year below normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing the 'reports' of 4 to 6 inches of snow in the next day or so here with highs of 11 F for Fri and Sat and lows of 0 plus wind.

It's been bitter cold and snowing here all week. More snow forecast tomorrow and Friday. We're actually getting lake effect snow! I didn't know that WV GOT lake effect snow! :bugeye: Darn blowhard Canadians! :biggrin:

I'm sick and tired of having to get up at 5:30 AM just so I have time to shovel the driveway before I have to get to work...which of course requires leaving an extra half hour early to navigate the snowy/icy roads too.

A couple weeks of temperatures where they are is not unusual for this time of year, but the constant snow sure is!

waht said:
Borek-Borek, I should have been more clear. For the outdoor activity I had in mind was running a couple miles on the trail, but inhaling too much chilled air from a vigorous exercise can have some unforeseen health effects on the immune system. Other than that the temperature is not that bothersome.
Um, you are wrong, there is nothing dangerous about running when it is cold except that you might slip. Or else every cross country skier would have all ruined their immune system, and everyone else living in a colder place than you do.

What you should make sure of is to dress down a bit when you run so you don't get soaked, and immediately when you stop you should dress up again to avoid letting your body temperature drop, that is bad.

Jonathan Scott said:
Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions.

I agreed with this last year when London was brought to a stand still by the snow, but now that it's happened again to the rest of the country within about 9 months, I think it's time we reviewed our policy on "once a decade" weather management.

Temperatures are in the -20 to -25 C area here in Norway. I can handle it, but I'm hoping it doesn't drop below -30 C.

I am so tired of this cold! Just letting my dog out to do his *thing* is downright painful. Even breathing through my nose, my lungs hurt. Thank goodness he's very fast, no messing around.

It was -15° F (-21° F with windchill) here around the 20th of last month -- at 10AM! The rest of the week was single digits. Temperatures are now in the twenties during the day. I am looking forward to warmer weather as well.

Evo said:
I am so tired of this cold! Just letting my dog out to do his *thing* is downright painful. Even breathing through my nose, my lungs hurt. Thank goodness he's very fast, no messing around.
I have an old outdoor cat that I had to let in today and probably tomorrow too. She's about 12 or 13 years old and has never been "house broken" (if that's possible) and I don't own a kitty litter box. What should I expect in the morning? :yuck:

I wasn't able to go to work today because of 4 foot drifts down our 1/4 mile drive. Thank god for PF. At least I won't go crazy the next couple of days.

rootX said:
I am glad that I am not living in Oymyakon.

Me too, because I can't pronounce it :confused:.

dlgoff said:
I have an old outdoor cat that I had to let in today and probably tomorrow too. She's about 12 or 13 years old and has never been "house broken" (if that's possible) and I don't own a kitty litter box. What should I expect in the morning? :yuck:

I wasn't able to go to work today because of 4 foot drifts down our 1/4 mile drive. Thank god for PF. At least I won't go crazy the next couple of days.
Can you confine the cat to the kitchen or some other similar area so you can limit the bathroom options?

lisab said:
Me too, because I can't pronounce it :confused:.

"non-freezing water" might be a better name?

<h2>1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.</p><h2>2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.</p><h2>3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?</h2><p>The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.</p><h2>4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?</h2><p>The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.</p><h2>5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?</h2><p>During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.</p>

1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.

2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.

3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?

The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.

4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?

The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.

5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?

During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.