Emf of a battery

by pb23me
Tags: battery
Share this thread:
pb23me
Mar31-11, 10:25 PM
P: 207
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
determine the terminal voltage in each battery.
Emf1=18V
r1=1 ohm
EMF2=12V
r2=2 ohm
R=6.6 ohms
also the batterys currents are opposing each other.
2. Relevant equations Vab=emf-Ir

3. The attempt at a solution i used kirchnoffs rule to find the current I , 18-I6.6-12-I2-I=0 and got I= .625 then i thought i would just use Vab=emf-Ir to find the terminal voltage of each battery however im not getting the correct answer... could someone please explain this to me i have a test tomorrow morning and i really need to figure this out! the answers i got were 17.375 for the 18V batt and 10.75 for the 12V batt
Attached Thumbnails
tn.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
gneill
Mar31-11, 10:39 PM
Mentor
P: 11,829
Watch out for the current direction and the thus the polarity of the voltage drop it creates on the internal resistors. If current is being forced into a battery's positive terminal it's possible for it to have a higher terminal voltage than its internal EMF.
pb23me
Mar31-11, 10:44 PM
so on the larger voltage batt would i use equation Vab=Emf-Ir = 18-(.625*1) and on the batt with voltage being forced across it use Vab=Emf+... idk

pb23me
Mar31-11, 10:59 PM
Emf of a battery

what are the equations you would use in this situation?
gneill
Mar31-11, 11:02 PM
Mentor
P: 11,829
Quote Quote by pb23me View Post
so on the larger voltage batt would i use equation Vab=Emf-Ir = 18-(.625*1) and on the batt with voltage being forced across it use Vab=Emf+... idk
Yes. It can be helpful to sketch in your current and the polarities of the voltage drops across the resistors. You did fine writing the KVL loop equation.
Attached Thumbnails
Loop1.jpg  

Register to reply