Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant is operational

In summary: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that the Bushehr power plant is operational, Press TV reported on Wednesday. The reactor design is the Soviet VVER-1000 PWR. Good for them. They have every right to enjoy the benefits of nuclear power and other peaceful nuclear science and engineering, and a light-water power reactor is not particularly useful for proliferation, even in rogue hands. I wonder what their arrangements are with regards to IAEA safeguards or inspections?
Bodge
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that the Bushehr power plant is operational, Press TV reported on Wednesday.

"As we have previously announced, Bushehr power plant has reached the criticality stage, meaning it has been successfully launched," Salehi reportedly said.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=221118

After Fukushima, let's all hope they have a sucessful operating record!

It's too late for Israel to pull another Operation Opera, as they did in Iraq.

Will Stuxnet make another appearance? Can the Iranians safely operate a reactor?

"Not only do they have active faults, but many, many unmapped active faults," says Andrew Freed, an associate professor with Purdue University's Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. "(It's) not a good place to build a nuclear plant."

The reactor design is the Soviet VVER-1000 PWR.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good for them. They have every right to enjoy the benefits of nuclear power and other peaceful nuclear science and engineering, and a light-water power reactor is not particularly useful for proliferation, even in rogue hands. I wonder what their arrangements are with regards to IAEA safeguards or inspections?

I trust their cyber-security is better this time.

minerva said:
Good for them. They have every right to enjoy the benefits of nuclear power and other peaceful nuclear science and engineering

Considering how nuts their state ideology is, I am not excited about this in the least.

Every country has the right to own nuclear power facilities, not only USA and Israel.

That's good for Iran, and I wish that for all other countries.

Concerning the safety, I think Iran has many nuclear scientists qualified to deal with accidents, etc.

ayahsafety said:
Every country has the right to own nuclear power facilities, not only USA and Israel.

Yes.

That's good for Iran

Economically speaking, it is not. Iran has vast reserves of cheap oil, and there are byproducts of oil extraction, such as gas, which cost almost nothing (at the point of extraction).

This is yet another reason to suspect that Iran regime does not build reactors because they want cheaper electricity.

ayahsafety said:

That's good for Iran, and I wish that for all other countries.

Concerning the safety, I think Iran has many nuclear scientists qualified to deal with accidents, etc.

No. Only Sovereign nations with truly democratically elected governments and leaders should have the "right" to nuclear technology. That being said, I do not really have a problem with Iran contracting the russkies to build and operate a LWR for electricity.

Bodge said:
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that the Bushehr power plant is operational [...]
The reactor design is the Soviet VVER-1000 PWR.

More or less news, more or less true. :grumpy:
http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2011_06/IranReactor

nikkkom said:
Considering how nuts their state ideology is, I am not excited about this in the least.

Yes ,quite,you must ask how many countries these fruit loops have bombed into oblivion in recent years:biggrin:

Thus far the thread has generated two facts.
  • Bushehr is operational.
  • It is a VVER reactor design.

and one potential discussion on seismic risk.

The rest is politics, not nuclear engineering.

If memory serves, the initial designs and construction were for a Siemens/AREVA offering, so there must have been substantial re-engineering to fit the VVER into a different construction envelope. That may be as much a factor in the delay as foot dragging for political purposes.
More broadly, the reactor will help train new generations of nuclear technicians in quantity. With a sufficiently deep talent pool, Iran's nuclear development will gradually become largely impervious to outside pressures.

etudiant said:
If memory serves, the initial designs and construction were for a Siemens/AREVA offering, so there must have been substantial re-engineering to fit the VVER into a different construction envelope. That may be as much a factor in the delay as foot dragging for political purposes.
More broadly, the reactor will help train new generations of nuclear technicians in quantity. With a sufficiently deep talent pool, Iran's nuclear development will gradually become largely impervious to outside pressures.

What is known about the extent of uranium resources inside Iran, are they dependent on imports? I know they have initially bought foreign enrichment equipment (thus the vulnerability to stuxnet). It also appears large nuclear vessels and large valves have been purchased outside Iran, so they may still have foreign dependences.

Caniche said:
Yes ,quite,you must ask how many countries these fruit loops have bombed into oblivion in recent years:biggrin:

They did not, because they can't.

It was 1944-55 last time when a country was bombed into oblivion. Evil Allies, they bombed poor Germans and Japanese civilians? Right??

Seriously though.

I am not careless enough to dismiss presence of raving lunatics in power just because *so far* they were unable to force their insane beliefs to the rest of the world.

NUCENG said:
Thus far the thread has generated two facts.
  • Bushehr is operational.
  • It is a VVER reactor design.

and one potential discussion on seismic risk.

The rest is politics, not nuclear engineering.

I will add one, which was implied by the stuff I posted earlier.

Bushehr has been operational for quite some time. This is known. Someone in Iran chose to remind us of this fact. This thread is pure politics, because it a reaction to that (redundant) announcement.

So maybe we can all stop hyperventilating and go back to the nuclear engineering talk?

nikkkom said:
They did not, because they can't.

It was 1944-55 last time when a country was bombed into oblivion. Evil Allies, they bombed poor Germans and Japanese civilians? Right??

Seriously though.

I am not careless enough to dismiss presence of raving lunatics in power just because *so far* they were unable to force their insane beliefs to the rest of the world.

Hmm ,more than a little disconcerting.

nikkkom said:
Iran has vast reserves of cheap oil, and there are byproducts of oil extraction, such as gas, which cost almost nothing (at the point of extraction).

This is yet another reason to suspect that Iran regime does not build reactors because they want cheaper electricity.

#1) Iran's reserves are currently in the depletion phase.

#2) The US and the EU have, in their wisdom, decided to impose sanctions upon Iran's economic jugular, its oil exports, and also upon the banks that finance deals involving Iranian oil. This is tantamount to an act of war, and is intended to destabilize the regime and provoke regime change. Unintended consequences to many parties are possible.

#3) In response, Iran has threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz - their choke point to the Persian Gulf and a big percentage of global oil production. Some in the West have said this (a form of MAD?) is their right, and that they have the ability to do it. This is of course in some dispute. But the situation threatens to become grave.

Apparently the sanctions are to go into effect in July.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

NUCENG said:
What is known about the extent of uranium resources inside Iran, are they dependent on imports?

They have ten mines in production. Internationally it was judged to be a minimal quantity. It may be enough to produce local electricity.

On the politics side, I'm inclined to the opinion that you don't give guns to madmen.

I don't think their government is sustainable, but the people seem to accept it. This month they moved to implement an 'halal' isolated version of the Internet. I imagine it will become as bad as North Korea.

Bodge said:
Can the Iranians safely operate a reactor?
In the sense that I think you mean it, yes. But I think that their nuclear efforts are going to get bombed/missiled -- in the foreseeable future. Unless it's clearly established that their nuclear programs aren't producing materials for massively destructive devices. But even then -- why take a chance. Plus they control substantial oil reserves. There seem to me to be some good reasons to think that Iran's going to get hit hard.

Some of the comments in this thread decry the fact that much of the thread is about politics and not science. Did anyone notice the forum in which it is posted? I just don't get why a thread in the Politics and World Affairs forum is supposed to avoid discussion of Politics and World Affairs.

ayahsafety said:

I seriously doubt that that (factual though it may well be) has any particular relevance to the issues at hand. The main issue is that the leadership in Iran in the hands of people whose actions make them appear to be lunatics and it's not wise to let lunatics play with guns.

Oh for the gift of seeing ourselves as others see us. Just a thought

phinds said:
I seriously doubt that that (factual though it may well be) has any particular relevance to the issues at hand. The main issue is that the leadership in Iran in the hands of people whose actions make them appear to be lunatics and it's not wise to let lunatics play with guns.

Fun fact: they already have guns.
Fun fact 2: they have shown considerable restraint with regards to WMDs by not retaliating in kind when Saddam gassed their front line troops during the war.
Fun fact 3: The current Ayatollah was in favor of stopping at Iraq's border, when the war started turning.
Fun fact 4: Prior to Amano being instated as DG of the IAEA, the agency had stated repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that there is no Iranian nuke program. Now it's all "coulda woulda mighta" and still the inspections turn up nothing untoward.

Last edited:
zapperzero said:
Fun fact: they already have guns.
Fun fact 2: they have shown considerable restraint with regards to WMDs by not retaliating in kind when Saddam gassed their front line troops during the war.
Fun fact 3: The current Ayatollah was in favor of stopping at Iraq's border, when the war started turning.
Fun fact 4: Prior to Amano being instated as DG of the IAEA, the agency had stated repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that there is no Iranian nuke program. Now it's all "coulda woulda mighta" and still the inspections turn up nothing untoward.

You feel real comfortable w/ them have nukes, huh?

Nothing untoward? Are you reading the same news stories I am? The IAEA seems to have shown conclusively, even with the limited information they have been able to obtain, that Iran is unequivacably doing refinement operations that have NO possible use other than building a bomb. Do you figure they are making this up?

phinds said:

Nothing untoward? Are you reading the same news stories I am? The IAEA seems to have shown conclusively, even with the limited information they have been able to obtain, that Iran is unequivacably doing refinement operations that have NO possible use other than building a bomb. Do you figure they are making this up?

Please, show me those reports. Such IAEA documents are public. Show them to me.

Am I comfortable with Iran having nukes? No, not particularly. I wish no-one had nukes. I hate the idea of a nuclear-armed North Korea, of nuclear armed Pakistan (a terrorist-supporting islamic state on the brink of dissolution btw) etc etc.

zapperzero said:
Please, show me those reports. Such IAEA documents are public. Show them to me.

that reasonable. Here's just a quick example that took me 1 miinute to find:

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Board/2011/gov2011-65.pdf

from page 8:
44. While some of the activities identified in the Annex have civilian as well as military applications, others are specific to nuclear weapons.

phinds said:

Personally, I am not comfortable with any state having 'nukes' ...but it seems hypocritical of any state that has a supply of nuclear weapons to tell another they cannot, if that is Irans ultimate purpose.

Nothing more annoying and likely to set off tempers than saying do as I say, don't do as I do.

OnceMore said:
Personally, I am not comfortable with any state having 'nukes' ...but it seems hypocritical of any state that has a supply of nuclear weapons to tell another they cannot, if that is Irans ultimate purpose.

Nothing more annoying and likely to set off tempers than saying do as I say, don't do as I do.

I agree w/ you about America's arrogance. It's one of the things we're best at.

That still doesn't make it a good idea to let lunatics play with guns.

phinds said:
That still doesn't make it a good idea to let lunatics play with guns.

Oh very true, but, if you will excuse the analogy, we are not their parents. We do not have the right to tell anyone what to do.

Like I said, I would rather no one had nuclear bombs ...or guns for that matter. All you can do is live in the world, respect those around you, and deal with situations as and when they arise.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan or Iran. Ahmadinejad is on the wrong side of crazy. But that is the world.

Also, as a side point, I am sure Isreal have nuclear weapons raises tensions more than a little bit in that part of the world.

OnceMore said:
Oh very true, but, if you will excuse the analogy, we are not their parents. We do not have the right to tell anyone what to do.
Actually, the US does, because "might makes right". That might not conform to some ethical picture of the way things should work, but it's the way things do work.

Iran is a threat. With nuclear weapons it's an immediately grave and unacceptable threat. Plus they have vast oil reserves. Iran is going to get hit ... in the foreseeable future. Bet on it.

phinds said:
that reasonable. Here's just a quick example that took me 1 miinute to find:

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Board/2011/gov2011-65.pdf

from page 8:
44. While some of the activities identified in the Annex have civilian as well as military applications, others are specific to nuclear weapons.

These activities are not identified in the report text. Annex C is full of
Information the Agency has received from Member States
(which Member States go unnamed) and that
information, collectively referred to as the “alleged studies documentation”, which was made known to the Agency in 2005, indicated that Iran had been engaged in activities involving studies on a so-called green salt project, high explosives testing and the re-engineering of a missile re-entry vehicle to accommodate a new payload.

Green salt! Oh noes! Is this anything like the Iraqi/Sudanese yellow cake?

Irony aside, the agency has nothing new. They have dug up a bunch of documentation dated 2002-2003 and fed to them by the CIA in 2005, given it a polish and are now presenting it as new evidence that Iran is up to no good. (Incidentally, Iran announced its policy of transparency and started permitting inspections in 2003).

They are trying to pass off absence of evidence as evidence of a cover-up. That's pretty sad. By the same standards of evidence, I could accuse you of being the Marquis de Carabas (because the Puss in Boots told me so and you refuse to grant me access to your manorial archive).

ThomasT said:
Iran is a threat. With nuclear weapons it's an immediately grave and unacceptable threat.

To whom? Certainly not the US, as Iran's biggest, best missile might possibly be capable of flying 2000 km with a reduced payload.

ThomasT said:
"might makes right"

Ah, the philosophy of the school yard bully.

The problem with this philosophy though, is that usually the person been bullied is push to a point, and lashes out.

zapperzero said:
To whom?
It would be a threat to the US interest in being the predominant bully wrt middle eastern affairs, imo. I could be wrong about that, but it seems to me that the US wants a certain kind of 'peace' in the ME that, for obvious reasons, doesn't include any ME states except Israel having nuclear weaponry.

OnceMore said:
Ah, the philosophy of the school yard bully.

The problem with this philosophy though, is that usually the person been bullied is push to a point, and lashes out.
Which is one reason to prevent any ME state except Israel from developing nuclear weapons.

Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant is operational

:eek: Funny name.

ThomasT said:
Which is one reason to prevent any ME state except Israel from developing nuclear weapons.

I hope you're trolling. You best be trolling.