Need Peltier Devices? John is Looking for Help!

• Thread starter jpt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peltier
In summary, John is looking for any burned out Peliters' there might be lying around in labs or workshops. Andy is using TECs for their senior design project. John is trying to figure out if it is worth the trouble to try to fix one of these devices. Andy says it is worth the trouble and they have already done the homework for John.
jpt
Peltier Devices Wanted!

Hi, I am a mechanical engineering student using Peltier units in my dissertation work. I am looking for any burned out Peliters' there might be lying around in labs or workshops.

The idea behind this is to 'open it up' by machining away part of one ceramic surface to demonstrate the semiconductor arrangement for a presentation I have to give in a few weeks..

I have a working Peltier I am using for my uni work but I cannot afford to purchase another given my current budget..

Any help would be appreciated, any condition accepted!

Cheers,
John

Engineering news on Phys.org

John,

I have a picture of a TEC (peltier) with the top ceramic missing. You can see all the pellets and the interconnecting tabs on the top of each pair of pellets. If you PM me your email address, I will send it to you. We also have dead devices if you still need one.

Andy
<< e-mail address deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:

We're using TEC's for our senior design project! I would give them to you, but we need them until the middle of december!

You can get a good size one for like 20$ though, I think.

I just got a peltier (12v 60w TEC1-12706) and tried to check it out.

I have never had a peltier before and don't really know how they work.

Mine has a red and black lead so I connected them accordingly to a 12v DC trickle charger.

BOTH SIDES got hot (very hot right away).

I thought a peltier was supposed to make cold not hot - what did I do wrong ??

Without a heat sink to remove the heat or not current limiting (too much current from the charger perhaps), the diodes probably failed.

DrAlloway said:
I just got a peltier (12v 60w TEC1-12706) and tried to check it out.

I have never had a peltier before and don't really know how they work.

Mine has a red and black lead so I connected them accordingly to a 12v DC trickle charger.

BOTH SIDES got hot (very hot right away).

I thought a peltier was supposed to make cold not hot - what did I do wrong ??

I did the exact same experiment a few weeks ago when I purchased the exact same device. Ouch!

I just did a slightly more controlled experiment with some heat sinks and insulation.

After applying ~60 joules over 10 seconds to the device, I measured the following values:

Tcold dropped 2 °C
Thot jumped 14 °C

The temperatures then of course over time equalized

But it is obvious that a massive heat sink is required on the Thot side to make the device operate as advertised.

Peltier devices should not be operated naked, as they will quickly exceed their rated temperatures ( 138 °C for the TEC1-12706 ).

OmCheeto said:
Peltier devices should not be operated naked, as they will quickly exceed their rated temperatures...

This brings back memories. I put a little current through one with my thumb and index finger as the heat sinks. I did learn how fast it worked. :redface:

dlgoff said:
This brings back memories. I put a little current through one with my thumb and index finger as the heat sinks. I did learn how fast it worked. :redface:
I do believe that you, I, and DrAlloway, have all done the same experiment. Trial by ouch. :smile:

Eek!

Without the heat sinks, the temperature jumped 52 °C!

OmCheeto said:
I do believe that you, I, and DrAlloway, have all done the same experiment. Trial by ouch. :smile:

I feel better now. Thanks :wink:

So all you guys are telling me that my design won't work.

I was going to get a bunch of these Peltiers and wire them into my motorcycle vest and be cool riding down the road in the summer.

DrAlloway said:
So all you guys are telling me that my design won't work.

I was going to get a bunch of these Peltiers and wire them into my motorcycle vest and be cool riding down the road in the summer.

Sounds a lot like cronxeh's invention.

I'm sure it will work. The question is, is it worth the trouble?

And just be glad we did the homework for you, before you sewed all those TEC's into your vest, and it started smoking. (My closed cell foam insulation started to melt on that last run.)

1. What are Peltier devices?

Peltier devices are solid-state heat pumps that use the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side to the other when an electric current is applied. They are commonly used for cooling or heating applications in various industries.

2. How do Peltier devices work?

Peltier devices work by creating a temperature difference between two sides of the device when an electric current is passed through them. This temperature difference causes one side to become hot and the other side to become cold, making it a useful tool for cooling or heating.

3. What are the benefits of using Peltier devices?

Peltier devices offer several benefits, including their compact size, silent operation, and precise temperature control. They also do not contain any moving parts, making them more reliable and durable compared to traditional cooling or heating methods.

4. Where can Peltier devices be used?

Peltier devices have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices, refrigeration systems, medical equipment, and even in the aerospace industry. They can be used for both cooling and heating purposes, making them versatile tools in various industries.

5. How can I choose the right Peltier device?

When choosing a Peltier device, it is important to consider factors such as the required cooling or heating capacity, voltage and current requirements, and the operating temperature range. It is also essential to select a reputable and reliable manufacturer to ensure the quality and performance of the device.