Canadian going on a ski trip to the US - Need insurance

• News
  • Thread starter dacruick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insurance
In summary, Danger says that if you do not have medical insurance, you will likely be responsible for a large chunk of any medical bills if you get injured while skiing in the US. He also says that if you are a Canadian, you do not have to worry about any of this as your province will cover your medical expenses.
dacruick
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about attaining insurance while going to the US.

Since I will be skiing (that could be considered a dangerous activity), is there a more comprehensive insurance package that I will need?

Also, what role do pre-existing injuries have in this process. I had knee surgery about three years ago, could they say that a knee injury isn't covered because of that?

I was thinking about getting insurance with my bank. Does anybody have any experiences with this type of thing?

Thanks,

dacruick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hah, I live in the US, am a lifelong skier. I do not carry extra insurance because I ski. I do have a bit of advice that lowers your risk of injury. Do NOT ski on weekends, period. I have had little terror's run into my wife on snow boards twice in one day (on a weekend), I have narrowly missed and almost been hit by either parents and/or small children (again on weekends). If it is crowded do not crest bumps or small hills that hide what is on the other side. People congregate there trying to improve their odds of being taken from this planet from the principle of natural selection. If your knee is sketchy wear a knee brace and I am told use magnets that surround it can reduce swelling and inflamation, and take ibuprofen before you ski (I usually do this, it does work). Good luck and God Speed John Glen...

Rhody...

Hi rhody,

thank you for your response. I'm not terribly worried about an injury, but as a Canadian, I do not have medical insurance. It's all free! If I were to get seriously injured on the slopes there would be huuuge fee's associated with medical attention.

The knee brace with magnets sounds like a cool idea, I've never heard of this before. I'll look into it :smile:

If you just get basic travelers insurance it's unlikely to cover skiing, but it is likely that the company you're getting it from offers a hazardous activities option which will cover your medical bills in the case of an accident while doing things like skiing. I don't know anything about getting travelers insurance from a bank but there are plenty of companies that you can find on google that offer these services. Here's a link with a couple of them (and a more in depth explanation of what you should expect from your coverage)
http://www.travelinsure.com/why/skitravelinsurance.asp

If you aren't already a member, join AMA (that's Alberta Motor Association; if you live in a different province, you should have some other branch of the national CAA.) Their travel insurance is very inexpensive and yet comprehensive. Talk to them, though; don't just take my word for it.

What's a knee brace with magnets? Like, uh, Q-Bracelets?

Out of curiosity, where are you going skiing?

dacruick said:
Hi rhody,

thank you for your response. I'm not terribly worried about an injury, but as a Canadian, I do not have medical insurance. It's all free! If I were to get seriously injured on the slopes there would be huuuge fee's associated with medical attention.

The knee brace with magnets sounds like a cool idea, I've never heard of this before. I'll look into it :smile:

You have medical insurance, even though you do not pay a premium (as you say free ) through your provincial health board. You are covered for hospitalization and the like anywhere in your own province.
For travel within Canada, if you happen to fall ill, certain procedures are fully covered and others require an extra fee or not covered at all. It all depends upon intra-provincial aggreements.
For travel outside of Canada, again you are covered but only to a certain degree. Hospitalization may cost upwards of $1000/day depending od the severity of the illness. Your provincial health board may cover only $200/day and you will be liable for the balance.

You may have to contact your provincial health board to discuss what is covered outside the province, such as ambulance service, medicines, treatments, single hospital rooms, surgery, etc. In certain cases if the surgery for the province is more expensive than what could be performed within a hospital in the province they may pay for a medivac transportaion back home.

While most american hospitals are under a directive to not refuse treatment to anyone who does not have insurance, that does not mean they are not able to charge for treatment and attempt to collect afterwards. What the consecquences are if you do not pay or do not come to any arrangement for payment, should you attempt to cross the border again into the United States are something to look into.

Danger has mentioned AAA, CAA. Blue Cross is another company offering medical insurance. Your bank as well.

Keep in mind that a ski accident is as remote an occurance as a car accident or a an appendicitis attack, but they do occur.

Keep in mind that a ski accident is as remote :bugeye: an occurance as a car accident or a an appendicitis attack, but they do occur.
If you ski you must never have skied on weekends like my family did when we were a bit younger, had more close calls, bumps and bruises than I care to remember.

I broke a rib two years in a row spring skiing as well, so accidents do happen. I am living proof, and I might add a decent skier to boot. Both were spring skiing, corn snow accidents at the end of the day when fatigued.

Rhody...

Last edited:
256bits said:
Keep in mind that a ski accident is as remote an occurance as a car accident or a an appendicitis attack, but they do occur.

I guess it really depends how you like to ski. Most people go onto the road not taking many risks, not everyone skis that way.

rhody said:
I broke a rib two years in a row spring skiing as well, so accidents do happen.

It seems that you should seek out a hobby that you are better at.

Danger said:
It seems that you should seek out a hobby that you are better at.
Nah, it was a fluke, end of the year, warm day, and corn snow (slush) caused suction and me to fall. I normally don't fall unless someone takes me out, literally, thanks for your concern. I still drive a wicked beast of a motorcycle too, and have his little brother in the wings for track day this year, you have to do what you love, or what is the point !

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

KingNothing said:

I'm heading down to Gore Mountain from Toronto for a week. So excited.

Thank you all for your replies. I rarely fall when skiing, let alone get hurt but I'd rather be on the safe side in this type of situation. I know that I can pay 50 bucks for insurance and not sweat it, but 20 000 isn't plausible. Especially when mountains are remote and usually not close to medical attention, if anything serious happens I can expect a large transportation fee. If it's a broken arm or something like that, I'll likely just come back to Canada to deal with it.

dacruick said:
I'm heading down to Gore Mountain from Toronto for a week. So excited.

Thank you all for your replies. I rarely fall when skiing, let alone get hurt but I'd rather be on the safe side in this type of situation. I know that I can pay 50 bucks for insurance and not sweat it, but 20 000 isn't plausible. Especially when mountains are remote and usually not close to medical attention, if anything serious happens I can expect a large transportation fee. If it's a broken arm or something like that, I'll likely just come back to Canada to deal with it.

If you break your arm, your strategy is to suck it up and go back to Canada to get it treated? :eek:

I'm pretty sure THAT is exactly the situation that this kind of insurance is purchased to protect against

Office_Shredder said:
If you break your arm, your strategy is to suck it up and go back to Canada to get it treated? :eek:

I'm pretty sure THAT is exactly the situation that this kind of insurance is purchased to protect against

Sounds reasonable to me. A broken arm isn't that bad, usually.

KingNothing said:

Office_Shredder said:

If it was included in the insurance I might very well get it treated there. I'd just generally like to avoid getting insurance companies involved if I don't have to, as they tend to do anything they can to screw you.

If my arm is broken, my trip is over anyhow, and I'd rather start heading back to Canada as opposed to possibly going out of my way to find a hospitable in and Adirondack region.

1. What type of insurance do I need for a ski trip to the US?

For a Canadian going on a ski trip to the US, it is recommended to have both travel insurance and sports insurance. Travel insurance will cover any unexpected medical expenses or trip cancellations, while sports insurance will cover any injuries or accidents that may occur while skiing.

2. Is my provincial health insurance valid in the US?

No, your provincial health insurance is not valid in the US. It is important to have travel insurance to ensure you are covered for any medical emergencies that may arise during your ski trip.

3. What does sports insurance cover?

Sports insurance typically covers any injuries or accidents that occur while participating in sports activities, such as skiing. This can include medical expenses, ambulance fees, and even emergency evacuation if necessary.

4. Can I purchase insurance once I arrive in the US?

It is not recommended to wait until you arrive in the US to purchase insurance. It is best to have insurance in place before your trip to ensure you are covered from the moment you leave Canada.

5. Are there any specific insurance requirements for skiing in the US?

Some ski resorts in the US may have specific insurance requirements, such as a minimum coverage amount or a specific type of insurance. It is best to check with the ski resort beforehand to ensure you have the appropriate coverage.