My university is a waste of time. Please help

In summary: I've been there for 1 painful unproductive semester. I'd like to point how unproductive the last 3 years already were because of high school that was even worse.In summary, the author is a self-learner who has been programming since they were 10 years old. They are currently studying Electronics and Computer Engineering at their local university, but they find that 40% of the curriculum is things they already know and that the remaining 60% is either outdated or irrelevant to them. They have also spent a significant amount of time on their own studying for classes, but this has been cut into due to their college attendance. They have talked to their professors about the difficulty of the classes, and have been advised
WindScars
I'm a self learner. I've been programming since I'm 10 years old. I'm cursing Electronics and Computer Engineering on the best university of my city. But there are many problems. 40% of the curriculum consists of things I already know, 40% consists of things that are either irrelevant for me or outdated, and the remaining 20% I could do better studying home. Then there are useless essays and hours on traffic. For example, last semester I wasted 90 hours in Computer 1 classes, plus the time to program and write an essay about 5 useless software like calculators and agendas. Serioulsy? I could do that at 12. And Pascal?

I'm wasting a precious time I could be using to learn things that matter for me like advanced math, physics, chemistry and biology. But I can't leave the university because of the diploma and social and parental pressure. So I'm giving up knowledge for a diploma. This is an absurd. Please someone tell me there is an alternative to this.

Essentially I want to learn and can't because of college. The irony.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How long have you been at the university? I felt the same way in calculus. Every once in a while I learned something that I couldn't learn otherwise, but it was slow. Things are better for me now that I am nearing graduation and taking higher level classes with fewer students in them. This may not be the same for you.

Have you spoken to anyone about skipping classes. If you truly know the subject, you might be able to convince a professor. Otherwise... I don't have any good answer.

Even if I skip some classes there would still be a huge amount of time wasted for numerous reasons. I've been there for 1 painful unproductive semester. I'd like to point how unproductive the last 3 years already were because of high school that was even worse.

WindScars said:
Even if I skip some classes there would still be a huge amount of time wasted for numerous reasons. I've been there for 1 painful unproductive semester. I'd like to point how unproductive the last 3 years already were because of high school that was even worse.

One of the things that having a diploma says about a person is he can stick with something, even if it's boring/useless/irrelevant/etc. You may think that's unimportant, but to an employer, it's critical because not every job is fun all the time.

You're in the very early part of your education, and the classes geared for people who don't have the experience you have. You're just going to have to bear with it until the rest of the students catch up to where you are.

Have you tried talking to one of your instructors about your situation? I strongly advise you to that. And when you do, ask about DrewD's suggestion of skipping classes (note: in some places, it's called "challenging classes").

I'm in the same boat, I'm studying Physics in my first year atm.
BUT
I've been studying for a good 2 years or so on my own for a large portion of my spare time (~9+ hours a day)
For me going to university takes me 3 hours alone in travel (and £25 a week!) for me to sit in classes going over Newtons second law problems whilst I could be at home reading more of Sakurais Advanced Quantum Mechanics.. :blushing:
So yeah, university (at the moment) is really cutting into my studies.
Hopefully I'll be able to take better classes next term /fingerscrossed

You've just got to stick with it though, you're pretty much an undeucated bum in the eyes of the rest of the world without a degree.

Do you want a degree or not? Most places you want to work at won't let you in the door without one...and if they do they won't pay you much based on your credentials.

If you are really that truly gifted...maybe find a good online college. Then you can just breeze through all the tests and not waste a minute of your time. That being said...sooner or later you will get bogged down with a REAL course.

If you are really that bored with your classes then I would recommend asking the professor for more challenging material. Since the other stuff is so easy it shouldn't take you long to finish it and move on. This is what I did in Calc 1 and 2. Most of the assignments in those classes felt more like busy work than me actually learning anything. So I would finish the assignments asap then grab some challenge problems either from the book or the professor. Of course, once the professors knew I needed more they laid it on fairly thick. If they can't challenge you then yeah I guess the only other option is transferring schools. But I highly doubt that would the case. Good luck

When I went to community college, I asked them if I could test out of classes and get the credits. So I took 2 tests (general education) and passed them both, whereby I didn't have to attend the class and the college credits were mine ALL MINE...mwhahahaha!

My intentions were to get my state mandated general education requirements out of the way so that when I transferred to the university, I took classes that I wanted to take concerning my degree.

At my University there was an option to take non-honors courses for honors credit. Essentially it was the same class but I worked with the professor to do an additional set of advanced problems. Maybe you could set up something similar?

Also, have you thought about doing a dual major? Maybe something you're really interested in but haven't learned as much about?

Another thing that may be helpful would be to get involved in research. I don't know your exact field, but in physics this type of experience is extremely helpful. For me, the projects I worked on were proposed by an adviser who was available to help but largely were self-guided/motivated. Publications are excellent if you intend to later pursue an advanced degree.

(I suggest these things because they are ways to improve your knowledge while obtaining necessary documentation of your hard work and abilities. As annoying as it is, this kind of "proof" is very important to future employers/graduate schools)

Last edited:

What are some signs that my university education is a waste of time?

Some signs that your university education may not be valuable include: not feeling challenged or engaged in your courses, struggling to find relevant job opportunities after graduation, and not seeing the value in the material being taught.

What can I do if I feel like my university education is a waste of time?

If you feel like your university education is not providing value, you can consider talking to your academic advisor or career services department for guidance. You can also try networking and gaining hands-on experience through internships or extracurricular activities.

Are there any benefits to completing a university education?

Completing a university education can have many benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, gaining knowledge in a specific field, and increasing job opportunities and earning potential.

How can I make the most out of my university education?

To make the most out of your university education, it is important to choose a major or program that aligns with your interests and career goals. Additionally, actively participate in class, seek out internships or research opportunities, and build relationships with professors and peers.

Is it ever too late to change my mind about my university education?

No, it is never too late to change your mind about your university education. Many students change their majors or career paths during their time in university, and some even pursue further education or a different career after graduation. It is important to prioritize your own happiness and fulfillment in your academic and career choices.