Dot Product: Understand When to Use Each Method

• Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot Vector
In summary, the dot product can be calculated using two different equations depending on the given information. If the vectors are known, the first equation can be used. If the lengths and angle between the vectors are known, the second equation can be used.
mindheavy
I'm reading up on dot products and keep seeing two different examples.

One states that u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = u[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{i}[/itex] + u[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{j}[/itex]

Another: u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = |u|[itex]\cdot[/itex]|v|cosθ

I'm not understanding when to use the first or second method?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mindheavy said:
I'm reading up on dot products and keep seeing two different examples.

One states that u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = u[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{i}[/itex] + u[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{j}[/itex]

Another: u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = |u|[itex]\cdot[/itex]|v|cosθ

I'm not understanding when to use the first or second method?
At the risk of stating something obvious, it depends on what information you are given and what you are trying to find. If you know the two vectors then you can find the dot product using the first equation. Then you can find the angle between the vectors using the second equation.

On the other hand, if you are given the lengths of the vectors and the angle between them, you can use the second equation to find the dot product.

Makes sense, I think the way the book I'm looking in words it was confusing me. Thanks

For example, if you are given that one vector is <1, 0, 0> and the other is <2, 2, 0> it is easy to calculate that the dot product is 1(2)+ 0(2)+ 0(0)= 2.

But if you are given that one angle has length 1, the other has length [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex], and the angle between them is [itex]\pi/4[/itex], it is easiest to calculate [itex](1)(2\sqrt{2})(cos(\pi'4)= 2[/itex].

By the way, in spaces of dimension higher than 3, we can use the "sum of products of corresponding components" to find the dot product between two vectors, then use [itex]|u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] to define the "angle between to vectors".

The first method, u\cdotv = u_{i}\cdotv_{i} + u_{j}\cdotv_{j}, is used to calculate the dot product of two vectors in Cartesian coordinates. This method is useful when working with vectors in 2D or 3D space, as it allows us to break down the vectors into their components and calculate the dot product for each component separately.

The second method, u\cdotv = |u|\cdot|v|cosθ, is used to calculate the dot product of two vectors in polar coordinates. This method is useful when working with vectors in a polar coordinate system, such as when dealing with circular motion or forces acting at an angle.

It is important to understand when to use each method depending on the context of the problem you are working on. If you are working with vectors in Cartesian coordinates, use the first method. If you are working with vectors in polar coordinates, use the second method. It is also important to note that both methods will give the same result for the dot product, so you can choose the method that is most convenient for you.

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a single number. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing up the products.

2. When should I use the dot product?

The dot product is commonly used in vector algebra and geometry. It is especially useful in calculating the angle between two vectors, determining the projection of one vector onto another, and solving problems involving work, force, and energy.

3. How do I calculate the dot product?

To calculate the dot product, you simply multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add up the products. For example, if you have two vectors A = (a1, a2, a3) and B = (b1, b2, b3), the dot product would be calculated as a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

4. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This means that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in a negative product. If the dot product is positive, it means the two vectors are pointing in the same direction.

5. How is the dot product related to the cross product?

The dot product and cross product are two different mathematical operations involving vectors. The dot product produces a scalar, while the cross product produces a vector. However, the dot product can be used to calculate the magnitude of the cross product, and the cross product can be used to determine the direction of the resulting vector from the dot product.