Understanding Planetary Spheres: The Role of Gravitational Compression

In summary, large bodies in space, such as planets, are pulled into spherical shape due to the force of gravity. This is because a sphere produces maximum volume with the least possible surface area, making it easier for planets to form. This process is called isostatic adjustment and is present in all planets, though some may have slight deviations from a perfect sphere. Rotation can also cause oblateness in planets, but gravitational compression remains the main cause for their spherical shape.
jldibble
Why planets are "spheres"

I was reading the specifics on why large bodies in space, such as planets, are pulled into spherical shape and they had a very technical term for the process.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gravity is the short answer. A sphere produces maximum volume with the least possible surface area. A planet forms via accretion. Small particles clump together, most likely by electrostatic attraction. As the clump grows gravity takes charge. Gravity is an equal opportunity employer and each particle attracted tries to get as close to the center of gravity as possible. This forces the planet to become spherical over time. The high spots eventually migrate into the lowest available spots. A certain amount of oblateness is present in all planets due to centrifugal force.

I understand the forces at work when it comes to the shape. I'm just trying to track down the term that was used that I can't seem to find.

I believe term was three words and was something along the lines of "gravitational ____________ __________"

I apologize that I can't be more descriptive on what I'm looking for.

That's it! Thanks

They aren't all spheres. Jupiter is significantly wider at the equator than pole to pole. Look at Haumea, a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt. It has a highly ecliptic shape!

I know there's an equation to find out how much an object shifts from being a true sphere. I forgot it though :(

Well, Jupiter would be a sphere but the force of its rotation causes the oblateness. That's going to be true of any rotating sphere, even a relatively solid one such as the earth.

In addition, the fact that a spherical shape minimizes surface area is key when it comes to understanding planet formation. Planets are more easily formed when there are a bunch of ice particles floating around (they accrete material more easily), so minimizing surface area minimizes exposure to sunlight, which minimizes the amount of ice that gets melted, which makes it easier for the planet to from. But yeah, gravitational compression is going to be the main cause for anything larger than a few tens of kilometers in radius.

1. Why are planets shaped like spheres?

Planets are shaped like spheres because of gravity. Gravity pulls matter towards the center of an object, resulting in a round shape. As planets form from rotating disks of gas and dust, gravity causes them to collapse into a spherical shape.

2. What about smaller planets or dwarf planets?

Smaller planets and dwarf planets may not be perfectly spherical due to factors such as their size, composition, and rotation speed. However, they are still round enough to be considered spherical.

3. Are all planets perfect spheres?

No, not all planets are perfect spheres. Some may have slight deviations from a perfect sphere due to factors such as their rotation, composition, and geological processes. For example, Jupiter is slightly flattened at its poles due to its rapid rotation.

4. Can a planet's shape change over time?

Yes, a planet's shape can change over time due to various factors such as volcanic activity, tectonic movements, and impacts from other objects. These processes can cause the planet's surface to shift and change, altering its overall shape.

5. Do all celestial bodies in space have a spherical shape?

No, not all celestial bodies have a spherical shape. Some may be irregularly shaped due to their smaller size or unique composition, such as asteroids and comets. Others, like stars, may have a spherical shape but are not considered planets.