Why do people insist on using big words they don't know the meaning of ?

• Thread starter Curious3141
  • Start date
In summary: In reality, it made him look like an idiot. In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of big words and idioms. One person shared a pet peeve about receiving an email invitation to a conference with a "checkered history". Another person questioned the use of the idiom and speculated about the meaning behind it. The conversation then shifted to talking about people who try to sound smarter by using big words and idioms incorrectly, with humorous examples shared. The expert summarizer notes that using big words and idioms just to impress others often backfires and makes the person look foolish.
Curious3141 said:
"Checkered history" ?! Does this guy even know what that idiom means ? :rolleyes:

Halazoon!

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious3141 said:
This is a big, big pet peeve of mine. I just got this email inviting me to a BioMechanics conference. Here's a snippet :

"Checkered history" ?! Does this guy even know what that idiom means ?:rolleyes:

I'm sure he meant "glorious" or "distinguished", but ended up giving us all the impression that the conference has previously been embroiled in controversy and shady happenings.

See what happens when you try to convince others you're smarter than you are ? You just end up looking like a great, big fool. :rofl:

Yes I wish people would stop making a shamokery of the english language. It's not a stupendiferous as they make it out to be :biggrin:

Back