What Makes an Expert? Defining Qualifications and Misconceptions

• Thread starter Geographer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, experts are people who have sufficient experience with a subject or related subject to provide a solution to a new problem.
Geographer
Quite often, especially in science, I hear the term 'expert' used. Whether it be fashion expert, decorating expert, chemistry expert, bird flu expert, whatever it may be.

So what is YOUR definition of 'expert'? What, in your opinion, qualifies a person to be an expert? Is the term used too loosely?

Some people tell me "An expert is someone who knows EVERYTHING about their field of work". And other people might say other things.

Just looking for some opinions, as it's something I've been thinking about. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
This was covered years ago in school. You have to break it down into its component parts to understand.
x, as you are well aware, is an unknown. A 'spurt' is a drip under pressure. Put them together and...

Last edited:
Usually an expert is one who has sufficient experience (both educational and professional) with a subject or related subject, particularly one who can provide a solution to a new problem which actually works, i.e. the solution correctly solves the problem.

I do think sometimes the term is use rather loosely in the media. For that matter, the news media tend to be less rigourous than I would like.

My definition?

Astronuc

Geographer said:
Some people tell me "An expert is someone who knows EVERYTHING about their field of work".

Another list consisting of the empty set!

Regards,
George

Pengwuino said:
My definition?

Astronuc

Hahaha! I have to agree!

I'd have to say that the Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework helpers are experts.

And I hope all of our PF student members become experts in their own right.

Make us proud ladies and gentlemen! :cool:

Astronuc said:
I'd have to say that the Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework helpers are experts.
Except Evo, it seems.

Physics Nut said:
Except Evo, it seems.

Why would you say that ?:uhh:

Physics Nut said:
Except Evo, it seems.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Evo is the awesome expert

I think one thing that is looked over in the definition is a very important oversight IMO. I have had the opportunity to work with people who I have no doubts are experts in their fields. One thing that I notice about them is that they do not pretend to know everything. The thing that sets them apart is that when they do not know something, they have the experience and knowledge to figure out what they need to know. They sit down and methodically go through their rituals for understanding the situation at hand. Watching someone go through that process and seeing how they go about things, to me, shows me that they are indeed an expert.

You can be an expert in a particular field, but eg. in the media, I think an 'expert' has a lot of knowledge about a general field.

FredGarvin said:
I think one thing that is looked over in the definition is a very important oversight IMO. I have had the opportunity to work with people who I have no doubts are experts in their fields. One thing that I notice about them is that they do not pretend to know everything. The thing that sets them apart is that when they do not know something, they have the experience and knowledge to figure out what they need to know. They sit down and methodically go through their rituals for understanding the situation at hand. Watching someone go through that process and seeing how they go about things, to me, shows me that they are indeed an expert.
Definitely. Acknowledging that one does not know everything, but being able to understand and offer an insightful educated guess, or even asking a meaningful question is the mark of an expert.

Conversely, I have seen people touted as experts in one area in which they have no direct experience, and from their testimony, clearly do not understand the subject area for which they are giving testimony. :grumpy:

Physics Nut said:
Except Evo, it seems.
:mad:
Evo has demonstrated her expertise in several areas, particularly data networks.

And given the skill with which she moderates this forum, I suspect that she's had extensive training as a zookeeper.

Danger, danger, you got it all wrong. Well, half of it.

Ex - meaning a "has been"
Spurt - a drip under pressure.

FredGarvin said:

I agree with you and Astronuc, and this is what I meant by my somewhat crypic comment.

Even an expert can learn more by doing, by reading, by talking to another person, by ..., and even an expert should be able to acknowlegde ignorance in their field of expertise.

Regards,
George

Danger said:
And given the skill with which she moderates this forum, I suspect that she's had extensive training as a zookeeper.

Get back in your cage, monkeyboy.

Fine. I'll just sit here quietly and throw **** at the toursits.

Astronuc said:
:mad:
Evo has demonstrated her expertise in several areas, particularly data networks.
Yes, I'm actually a designated SME (subject matter expert) in Wide Area Networks, as unbelievable as that seems. :tongue:

Evo said:
Yes, I'm actually a designated SME (subject matter expert) in Wide Area Networks, as unbelievable as that seems. :tongue:
Well, when someone says that some moderator is an expert, I think that's typically taken to mean that he's an expert in the subject he's moderating. You're in the wrong forum. Also, an expert in mathematics or the sciences (the latter term is used loosely and encompasses many subject areas) should probably at least have a Ph.D. in his field.

Physics Nut said:
Well, when someone says that some moderator is an expert, I think that's typically taken to mean that he's an expert in the subject he's moderating. You're in the wrong forum. Also, an expert in mathematics or the sciences (the latter term is used loosely and encompasses many subject areas) should probably at least have a Ph.D. in his field.

Two comments.

1) Read Douglas Hofstadter's essay "Changes in Default Words and Images, Engendered by Rising Consciousness" either in the column Metamagical Themas of November 1982 issue of Scientific American of November, or in the book Metamagical Themas. (mea culpa)

2) Freeman Dyson.

Regards,
George

Physics Nut said:
There are many experts who do not bother with PhD's. Expertise comes from experience, i.e. by doing or working in a field for years.

Then again, I have met many PhD's whose expertise was rather limited, and surprisingly so. And I have met PhD's who are completely wrong about a particular matter.

The problem with having a PhD, courtesy of one of Pheobe's creepy dates on Friends

Creepy date : ...and you know, I have a PhD.

Phoebe (impressed) : Really?

Creepy date : Oh yeah! A Pretty Huge Di-...

Phoebe (disgusted) : Alright, that's it! (walks out)

Physics Nut said:
I don't think it takes much to be an expert at "General Discussion". :biggrin:

Evo said:
I don't think it takes much to be an expert at "General Discussion". :biggrin:
I don't think there is such a thing as an expert at "General Discussion."

That's funny coming from a guy with zero posts.

General discussion is the talking about generals. An expert would be someone who knows about generals and admirals and such.

Physics Nut said:
Would you rather GD be unmoderated? I would not. GD moderation has got to be one of the hardest jobs because you get all the spam and the weird speculative crap that was immediately unnaceptable to the other forums re-emerging here.

MIH, your new avatar is so cute! :approve:

Physics Nut said:
Evo moderates with such finesse and subtly, that you don't even realize you are being moderated.

Now that's an expert!

What is an expert?

An expert is someone who has extensive knowledge, experience, and skills in a particular field or subject. They are recognized for their expertise and are able to provide valuable insights and solutions in their area of expertise.

What qualifications make someone an expert?

Qualifications that make someone an expert can vary depending on the field or subject. Generally, an expert has a combination of education, training, and experience in their area of expertise. They may also have certifications, awards, or publications that showcase their knowledge and skills.

Can anyone become an expert?

Yes, anyone can become an expert with dedication, hard work, and continuous learning. Becoming an expert requires a deep understanding and mastery of a subject, which can be achieved through education, experience, and self-study.

What are some misconceptions about experts?

One common misconception is that experts know everything about their field. In reality, experts are continuously learning and expanding their knowledge. Another misconception is that experts are always right. While they may have a high level of expertise, they are still human and can make mistakes.

How do experts contribute to society?

Experts play a crucial role in society by providing valuable insights, solutions, and innovations in their field. They also often serve as mentors and teachers, passing on their knowledge and skills to the next generation. Experts can also help shape policies and decisions that impact society.