Healthy Recipe Ideas: Peanut Butter, Liquorice & Tomatoes

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I know vegemite is freely available most places but I still tend to travel with a little jar -force of habit. Twisties, Nutrigrain and Tim-Tams are harder to find, although there is a store in my city that stocks them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
liquorice , it is supposed to help stop tooth decay, so i just bought 2ibs

peanut butter, :yuck: full of good oils, so i bought 2 jars

Tomatoes , supposed to help stop heart attacks, yes i bought some of those as well

Now if i can just find a recipe with that lot in i should be well fit, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stuffed tomatos?

Stuffed licorice?

Peanut butter is loaded with aflatoxin, a carcinogen produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, so you should be a "healthy" liver cancer sufferer in no time.

OK, that's needlessly alarmist but it's true that peanut butter carries health risks unrelated to cardiovascular risk.

Aflatoxin levels are apparently lower in big commercial brands like Skippies than in the organic variety. Not to mention, organic p.b. tastes like crap (I have a jar of this sitting in my fridge that I regret buying).

It's hard to know what to believe sometimes, fish oils are good for us but each to much fish and you run the risk of acquiring high levels of toxins.

Coffee is bad for you and causes high blood pressure but only in people who don't drink it regularly, it also reduces the chance of heart disease and certain cancers. But it can lead to increased risk of heart attack or cannot? Depending on who you believe?

The only thing I know for sure that's bad for you absolutely and is ultimately fatal in all cases these days is life.

Last edited:
Or should we all be eating soylent green :yuck: seems to me that every thing is bad (and) good for you, heck there is a woman in the uk ,THAT EATS NOTHING BUT CHOCOLATE, she seemed ok on tv.

I'd go with Marmite though as good for you absolutely, minimal protein, trace carbohydrate and no fat, best source of vit B12 on the planet short of B12 tablets. Yeast extract, if your unfamiliar, tastes devine on toast with butter,butter aghh, damn :frown: nice try though.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'd go with Marmite though as good for you absolutely, minimal protein, trace carbohydrate and no fat, best source of vit B12 on the planet short of B12 tablets. Yeast extract, if your unfamiliar, tastes devine on toast with butter,butter aghh, damn :frown: nice try though.

Ha, Ha. :rofl:

Mk said:
Why the hell would you buy that crap? It tastes like crap because they don't put any sugar in it. The peanuts are the same.

I don't know about sugar, but it certainly lacks salt.

The peanuts are not the same. Apparently the big name manufacturers have to satisfy some US govt regulation certifying that the aflatoxin levels are lower than some limit.

No such regulation is enforced on the organic foodstuff manufacturers (most of which are cottage-industry types).

So branded commercial peanut butter is probably healthier than the organic crap.

Marmite is good, except it's ram packed with salt.

I believe a little bit of what you like is good for you. It's excess which causes problems. (Obviously if you happen to 'like' cyanide then this probably falls apart a bit.)

MARMITE is great! Especially with cheese on toast or crackers.

VEGEMITE is great too! Vegemite made me what I am today - for better or perhaps worse. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
VEGEMITE is great too! Vegemite made me what I am today - for better or perhaps worse. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Let's see, how do the lyrics of that Men At Work song go -

"He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Let's see, how do the lyrics of that Men At Work song go -

"He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"

Regards,
George
Yeah! Cheers, George.

VEGEMITE ? i have never seen any in the uk, but if it is as bad marmite :yuck:

Wooly, Vegemite is next to the Bovril in the supermarkets, as opposed to the Marmite. Bloody beautiful stuff, not as bitter as Marmite but saltier still!

Its good for you.

Don't forget that good old-fashioned medicated goo.

I stopped taking Vegemite when I discovered they shared a machine with some meat processing set-up. I'm a vegetarian, but I'm also funny/obsessive in having a serious aversion to meat products.

So I stuck to Marmite - that's manufactured in a completely vegan way.

VEGEMITE is great too! Vegemite made me what I am today - for better or perhaps worse.
:yuck: I've never tried vegimite, I'll admit, but it sure looks disgusting.

VEGEMITE ? i have never seen any in the uk, but if it is as bad marmite
I thought vegemite was stricktly south pacific and Australia and New Zealand?

Mk said:
I thought vegemite was stricktly south pacific and Australia and New Zealand?
Vegemite is made in Victoria in Australia, and its exported. It pretty much goes wherever Australians go. :biggrin:

I know vegemite is freely available most places but I still tend to travel with a little jar -force of habit. Twisties, Nutrigrain and Tim-Tams are harder to find, although there is this shop in Notting Hill that sometimes has them. If not there are these chocolatey-penguiny-things in the UK that are slightly similar to Tim-Tams.

How about Violet Crumbles and Cherry Ripes?

I haven't found them. I'm not fond of Cherry Ripes, but my husband is a fan, and an even bigger fan of Cherry Ripe ice-blocks! (icey-poles US, iced-lollies UK). We get to the Science and Natural History Museum a lot and they sell honey-comb there- almost as good as a Violet Crumble without the chocolate.

1. Can peanut butter, liquorice, and tomatoes be combined into a healthy recipe?

Yes, these ingredients can be combined into a healthy and delicious recipe. Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats and protein, liquorice has antioxidant properties, and tomatoes are rich in vitamins and minerals.

2. What are the health benefits of using peanut butter in a recipe?

Peanut butter can provide a good source of protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients like vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium. It may also help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.

3. Is liquorice a healthy ingredient to use in recipes?

Yes, liquorice has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for various health issues. It contains antioxidants that can help to reduce inflammation and may have anti-cancer properties. However, it should be consumed in moderation as excessive amounts can be harmful.

4. How can I incorporate tomatoes into a healthy recipe?

Tomatoes are versatile and can be used in a variety of healthy recipes. They can be added to salads, used as a topping for whole grain toast, blended into a pasta sauce, or roasted with other vegetables. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can benefit overall health.

5. Are there any potential health concerns with using these ingredients in a recipe?

While these ingredients can be used in a healthy recipe, it is important to note that they may not be suitable for everyone. Those with peanut allergies should avoid peanut butter, as well as those with high blood pressure or heart disease should consume liquorice in moderation due to its potential to raise blood pressure. As with any food, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating new ingredients into your diet.