Did Louis Rukeyser revolutionize financial journalism?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Louis Rukeyser was a popular journalist who hosted Wall Street Week from 1970 to 2002. He was known for his wit and ability to make finance news entertaining. The show's format remained the same throughout his career and it became an iconic part of the Reagan to Clinton era. Despite being an industry pioneer, Rukeyser remained humble and joked about not having "stretch marks".
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Boy, I watched this guy almost every week for most of his career. He was always fun to watch.

From 1970 until 2002, at 8:30 p.m. on Friday evenings on public television, the dapper journalist began his half hour-long show Wall $treet Week with Louis Rukeyser to the clacking sound of an old stock ticker machine.

Rukeyser reviewed the week's news with witticisms, wordplay and factoids and then moderated a panel discussion. The better the market outlook, the more he liked it, his brother said. The format never changed.[continued]
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=peopleNews&storyID=2006-05-03T141848Z_01_N03365613_RTRIDST_0_PEOPLE-RUKEYSER-DC.XML

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard of him.

Yes you have.

Honest, never heard of him. Same way I never heard about that last radio guy you posted about.

:biggrin: Obviously you had since you read my post.

No, I read about him, I never heard about him. :biggrin:

They were just showing one of his show intros after one of the worst weeks in Wall Street History. He began by reminding his viewers that their families still love them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Boy, I watched this guy almost every week for most of his career. He was always fun to watch.
I watched him too. He and Wall Street Week are certainly icons of the era from Reagen through Clinton.

Commenting on Rukeyser's landmark format and success, a friend and fellow journalist once asked: "Lou, how does it feel to give birth to an entire industry?" Rukeyser responded: "I don't even have stretch marks".

1. Who was Louis Rukeyser?

Louis Rukeyser was an American financial journalist and television host, best known for hosting the popular business news show "Wall Street Week" on PBS from 1970 to 2002.

2. When did Louis Rukeyser die?

Louis Rukeyser passed away on May 2, 2006 at the age of 73.

3. What was the cause of Louis Rukeyser's death?

Louis Rukeyser died from multiple myeloma, a type of cancer that affects the plasma cells in bone marrow.

4. What impact did Louis Rukeyser have on the financial industry?

Louis Rukeyser was a pioneer in financial journalism and helped to make complex economic concepts more accessible to the general public. He also gained a large following and became a trusted source of financial information for many viewers.

5. How is Louis Rukeyser remembered today?

Louis Rukeyser is remembered as a trailblazer in financial journalism and a beloved television personality. He is also remembered for his wit, charm, and ability to make complicated financial topics easy to understand for the average person.

Back