Favorite Movie Ending: "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: I liked the way it ended, where the building started to collapse and the man ran away. It was a really emotional and well-done ending.In summary, the best movie ending is from "The Life Of David Gale".
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Borrowing from Mk's thread, what's your favorite movie ending? I absolutely loved the climax of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I especially like the music when Tuco searches the graveyard.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite movie "ending" (it wasn't quite the very last scene) was in The Sixth Sense. I saw it on Opening Day before it caught fire, and was COMPLETELY fooled by the whole movie till that wedding band rolled off her hand towards the end of the movie. I love a movie that can do that to me.

On a separate note, the most frustrating movie ending was The Swimming Pool. At the end of the movie, I wasn't sure if I wanted to scream, gasp, cry, or yell profanities at the ending. Someone in the theater even yelled "Can someone tell me what the hell did that ending meant?!" People were discussing what it was even outside the theater! I had to chimed in that Roger Ebert had his interpretation of the ending in his review on his website. Till this very day, I still get "mad" at the ending in the sense that one doesn't have a "unique solution" to the movie.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
My favorite movie "ending" (it wasn't quite the very last scene) was in The Sixth Sense. I saw it on Opening Day before it caught fire, and was COMPLETELY fooled by the whole movie till that wedding band rolled off her hand towards the end of the movie. I love a movie that can do that to me.
Zz.
Please don't remind me of that movie. Even before I saw the film someone told me the plot (wasn't intentional). :cry:

That's horrible!

Zz.

My favourite movie ending was that of "Titanic", the part when the ship sinks :biggrin:. I have only seen the last part of the movie because I just hate the overall plot of the movie.

Reshma said:
My favourite movie ending was that of "Titanic", the part when the ship sinks :biggrin:.

Arrgghh. Looks like I have to see another movie tonight then...now when you have revealed how it ends...

Favorite ending, The Royal Tenenbaums, I've never been so glad to see the end of a movie in my entire life! :yuck:

Seriously, I like these endings: Casablanca (round up the usual suspects), Jaws (smile you S.O.A.B.), Seabiscuit (The comeback race shown would have been the equivelent of a forty year old athelete breaking a track record), MASH ("Did Hawkeye steal that Jeep?" "No it's the one he came in."), Allistar Sims Christmas Carol ("I don't deserve to be so happy," *flips his quill in the air* "but I can't help it."), Arsenic and Old Lace (I'm not a Brewster, I'm the son of a seacook!),

Nothing beats the end of Braveheart. Whoa.

Hannibal: Spoiler: When you find out he's actual chopped his own hand of AND he gives a piece of brain to a kid on the plane :biggrin:

~H

My favourate ending was to Jackie Chan's The Medallion.

The best thing about it was that it was less than an hour into the movie. At least it was for me...

It is the only movie in http://www.davesbrain.ca/reviews.php" that did not get a rating at all, since I did not finish watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Artman said:
Favorite ending, The Royal Tenenbaums, I've never been so glad to see the end of a movie in my entire life! :yuck:
You never saw Vanilla Sky? When I saw it, you would have thought someone opened a jar of lightning bugs, there were so many people checking their watch.

Best ending credits were for Rainman (the snapshots).

BobG said:
Best ending credits were for Rainman (the snapshots).
Nah. Best ending credits goes to Ants: the "outtakes".

My favourite movie ending is from "The Life Of David Gale".
Yet another good film that doesn't suffer from corny good beats evil endings is "Arlington Road"

GregA said:
Yet another good film that doesn't suffer from corny good beats evil endings is "Arlington Road"
Funny you mention that one. I was thinking of mentioning it too.

The ending did its trick on me, the moment of realization for the character happened exactly in parallel with my own moment of horrified realization, causing me to gasp and nearly jump out of my seat.

With the exception of the 'Antz' one, I didn't read any of the responses because I haven't seen the other movies. I frequently like the blooper reels more than the actual shows, such as the remake of 'Fun with Dick and Jane'. My favourites are Jackie Chan's, though, and I really like the movies too. I'm quite sorry that the 'Trinity' movies didn't include them.
As for an actual movie ending, it would probably be the one from my own favourite movie. It was called 'Birds of Prey'.

DaveC426913 said:
Nah. Best ending credits goes to Ants: the "outtakes".
Nah. Best ending credits goes to Monty Python and Life of Brian.

Fred you, of all people, I would have figured to agree with mine. Have you ever seen it?

Nobody's mentioned SE7EN's ending?

Danger said:
Fred you, of all people, I would have figured to agree with mine. Have you ever seen it?
Absanively (if you're talking about the David Jansen one). I liked it very much. I always agree with you.

Last edited:
I like the ending of Paulie. It's a very happy reunion with a surprise in it.
21m.jpg

Tsu's favorite movie ending was the death of Captain Kirk. :biggrin:

I watched so many movies in-flight over a few years that they're mostly a blur, but I seem to remember being quite surprised by the ending to Memento.

Memento (open ended and intriguing)

The Matrix (only the first).

Gone With the Wind (I *never* expected a love story to end with the hero telling the girl (basically) to go to hell. Of course, "Scarlett" spoiled all that, stupid sequels.) :grumpy:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (IMHO, the very best story about aliens put to film. The part where the missing pilots exit the ship not having aged is brilliant).

Minority Report (kind of a nice happy ending...until you realize that this may have been a cryo-dream and the reality is more disturbing and cynical).

The Abyss (especially the director's cut).

yomamma said:
Nobody's mentioned SE7EN's ending?
SE7EN put me off psycho killer movies forever. It was the seminal moment where I realized that I was no longer the target audience.

DaveC426913 said:
SE7EN put me off psycho killer movies forever. It was the seminal moment where I realized that I was no longer the target audience.

Why?

*This "message too short" warning is beginning to get on my nerves*

Hootenanny said:
Hannibal: Spoiler: When you find out he's actual chopped his own hand of AND he gives a piece of brain to a kid on the plane :biggrin:

~H

That's a really great ending but the other one I really like is in the old Monty Python movie "The Life of Brian". There is an argument among those being crucified about who has to die next to whom and the Roman centurian asks those that want to be moved to raise their hand - problem solved. Then when we fade out to a couple of dozen people all hanging on crosses and singing "Always look on the bright side of life" it has to give you a different perspective. :rofl:

FredGarvin said:
Absanively (if you're talking about the David Jansen one).
That is indeed the one. I can't hear 'Three Little Fishies' without seeing that stand-off and the Mustang flash-backs. :biggrin:

And while I appreciate the loyalty, you don't have to agree with me every single time. Sometimes I make stuff up just to see if you're paying attention.

I'd have to say the end of "The Jagged Edge". That movie really had me going back and forth about whether Bridges was the murder or not. I won't spoil the ending for those of you who haven't seen it -- worth watching IMO.

The ending part of 'Leon'.

DaveC426913 said:
SE7EN put me off psycho killer movies forever. It was the seminal moment where I realized that I was no longer the target audience
Curious3141 said:
Why?

Se7en was a celebration of human suffering. It reveled in the pain of the victims, examining it in excruciating detail. Not that Se7en is unique in this, but this movie did it for no morally-justifiable reason. What I mean by that is that, in the end, the bad-guy won - there was no moral message to the movie, no lesson to be learned, no coming out of the movie a better person than you went in.

This can be said of any gore/slasher movie, but Se7en was not a gore/slasher movie. Gore/slashers are not meant to be taken seriously - they're simply dark entertainment. Texas Chainsaw massacre etc. are a genre unto themselves and you go in suspending your mores.

Se7ev dragged your morals in with you, set everything up in a realistic world for you to judge good and evil, and then simply showed suffering. It is difficult for a person to comew out of the film without being polluted by it - and not in a good way.

It was the realization that I no longer had the need to be stimulated this way that caused me to forego psycho killer stuff thereafter. I've seen enough of the world now that I don't need to get my pain and suffering artificially. It doesn't mean I don't happily watch movies of all types - eg. I absolutely loved Kill Bill and Sin City (they were cartoons, not drama). But Se7en was bereft of all the elements that put suffering in context.

I guess, to use a (bizarre) pr0n analogy, I have lost interest in the glaring, faceless sexual-zombie extreme-closeup explicitness of Hustler, and have come to prefer the more subtle and alluring, teasing eroticism of Playboy.

Last edited:
Bladibla said:
The ending part of 'Leon'.

yep ,that one was good.

and the ending of life of brian was also great.

hoodwinked had a nice ending too.

hmm... snatch was good too.

and howcome no one mantioned fight club?
i think this one deserves the title.
all the big coorporation buildings, banks, credit card companies, being blown up with "where is my mind" playing in the background after he shot himself in the head to get rid of his split personality... i love this scene!

"The Chronicles of Riddick" had a sweet ending. The movie ruled all around but especially the final scenes.

DaveC426913 said:
Se7en was a celebration of human suffering. It reveled in the pain of the victims, examining it in excruciating detail. Not that Se7en is unique in this, but this movie did it for no morally-justifiable reason. What I mean by that is that, in the end, the bad-guy won - there was no moral message to the movie, no lesson to be learned, no coming out of the movie a better person than you went in.

This can be said of any gore/slasher movie, but Se7en was not a gore/slasher movie. Gore/slashers are not meant to be taken seriously - they're simply dark entertainment. Texas Chainsaw massacre etc. are a genre unto themselves and you go in suspending your mores.

Se7ev dragged your morals in with you, set everything up in a realistic world for you to judge good and evil, and then simply showed suffering. It is difficult for a person to comew out of the film without being polluted by it - and not in a good way.

It was the realization that I no longer had the need to be stimulated this way that caused me to forego psycho killer stuff thereafter. I've seen enough of the world now that I don't need to get my pain and suffering artificially. It doesn't mean I don't happily watch movies of all types - eg. I absolutely loved Kill Bill and Sin City (they were cartoons, not drama). But Se7en was bereft of all the elements that put suffering in context.

I guess, to use a (bizarre) pr0n analogy, I have lost interest in the glaring, faceless sexual-zombie extreme-closeup explicitness of Hustler, and have come to prefer the more subtle and alluring, teasing eroticism of Playboy.

Interesting. We had a thread that went along these lines where marlon and I ended up defending horror movies and psych thrillers against some other posters. That thread quickly became acrimonious and got locked. Interestingly one of the people posting in that thread said nearly the exact same thing you're saying now about Seven.

Personally, I loved Seven. In terms of the way the film is crafted, it's nearly perfect. It doesn't overdo the visual gore, in that sense, it is an artistic movie.

It *is* meant to be a disturbing movie, and I think, from the way you reacted to the material, it achieved it's purpose. But I believe there were lessons the film was trying to convey : firstly, that sometimes (often?) in life, evil does triumph over good and secondly, that we shouldn't give up on life just because it happens, we should continue to fight evil (Somerset's closing words, quoting Hemingway).

Those are some of the most honest lessons a movie could possibly impart, because they ring so true. It's what we see everyday with our own eyes. Would you rather see a fairy tale with a happy ending or a contrived over-the-top morality play like most of the insipid slasher movies out there?

Actually, I do like a good fairy tale ending myself, but when the rare movie comes along with a straight hitting punch, that makes me appreciate it all the more. Seven was just one of those rare movies which didn't compromise.

Last edited:
There are so many great endings I agree with Riddick, Life of Brian, Fight Club but it seems we all like movies with a twist. Almost a Citizen Cane or The Sting type ending where the whole story comes down to a single summary line. How long has this been going on? Probably since "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damn!"

1. What makes the ending of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" so iconic?

The ending of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is considered iconic because it perfectly encapsulates the themes and characters of the film. The three main characters, Blondie, Angel Eyes, and Tuco, all come together in a final showdown that showcases their individual motivations and moral codes. Additionally, the tension and suspense built throughout the film is released in a satisfying and unexpected way.

2. How does the ending reflect the overall message of the film?

The ending of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" reflects the film's message about the futility of greed and the destructive nature of violence. Despite their ruthless pursuit of wealth, the three main characters ultimately end up with nothing and their actions only lead to more bloodshed. The final scene, where Blondie walks away with the gold but leaves Tuco with an empty grave, highlights the emptiness and consequences of their actions.

3. Is the ending of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" historically accurate?

While the film is set during the American Civil War, the events and characters depicted are not historically accurate. However, the ending does incorporate elements of historical accuracy, such as the use of a Civil War cemetery and the inclusion of the Confederate flag. Director Sergio Leone intentionally blended historical elements with fictional storytelling to create a unique and engaging narrative.

4. How does the music enhance the impact of the ending?

The iconic score by Ennio Morricone plays a crucial role in the impact of the ending. The use of the haunting and intense music builds tension and suspense throughout the final showdown, adding to the overall atmosphere of the scene. The music also helps to emphasize the emotions and motivations of the characters, making the ending even more powerful.

5. What is the significance of the final shot in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"?

The final shot of the film, where Blondie rides off into the distance, is significant in that it represents the end of the characters' journey and the end of the Civil War. It also symbolizes the idea that the pursuit of wealth and power is never-ending, as Blondie rides off to find his next adventure. The shot also reinforces the idea that the three main characters are ultimately alone in their pursuit of wealth and power, despite their temporary alliance.