Utlilizing Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures

In summary, when a 2.0 L container of oxygen at 3 Atmospheres of pressure is mixed with a 5.0 L container of hydrogen at 3 atmospheres of pressure, the partial pressure of oxygen in the new container is 1.2 atm and the total pressure in the container is 4.2 atm.
Integral0
If a 2.0 L container of oxygen at 3 Atmospheres of pressure is poured into a 5.0 L container of Hydrogen at 3 atmospheres of pressure. What is the partial pressure of oxygen in new container? What is the new total pressure in the container?

I'm not sure how to start this . . . if you could help me, I'd appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If a 2.0 L container of oxygen at 3 Atmospheres of pressure is poured into a 5.0 L container of Hydrogen at 3 atmospheres of pressure. What is the partial pressure of oxygen in new container? What is the new total pressure in the container?

Pressure is the only dependent variable in the gas law equation PV=nRT and is determined by temperature, volume, and the amount of gas. So, here is a practical way to do this problem.

We know that a certain amount of oxygen, due to its energy, in a fixed volume exerts a certain pressure. If we are to increase the volume from 2.0L to 5.0L the pressure will decrease proportionally since we are only changing one variable. We decrease the pressure by 2.5. 3/2.5=1.2 atm. Add this to the pressure of hydrogen, 3 and you get 4.2 atm.

Last edited:

Sure, I can help you with this problem. First, let's review Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures. This law states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas. In other words, the pressure of each gas in a mixture is independent of the other gases present.

Now, let's apply this law to the scenario given. We have a 2.0 L container of oxygen at 3 atmospheres of pressure and a 5.0 L container of hydrogen at 3 atmospheres of pressure. When these two gases are combined, they will occupy a total volume of 7.0 L (2.0 L + 5.0 L).

To find the partial pressure of oxygen in the new container, we can use the formula: P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of oxygen, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume of oxygen.

So, in this case, we have: (3 atm)(2.0 L) = P2(7.0 L). Solving for P2, we get a partial pressure of oxygen in the new container of 0.857 atm.

To find the new total pressure in the container, we can use the formula for Dalton's Law: Ptotal = P1 + P2, where P1 and P2 are the partial pressures of oxygen and hydrogen, respectively.

In this case, we have: Ptotal = (3 atm) + (3 atm) = 6 atm.

So, the partial pressure of oxygen in the new container is 0.857 atm and the new total pressure in the container is 6 atm.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures?

Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures states that in a mixture of gases, the total pressure exerted is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas.

2. How can Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures be applied in real-life situations?

Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures is commonly used in various industries, such as scuba diving, where the partial pressures of gases in a mixture determine the amount of oxygen available for breathing at different depths.

3. What are the units of measurement for partial pressures?

Partial pressures are typically measured in standard units of pressure, such as atmospheres (atm), kilopascals (kPa), or millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

4. Can Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures be used for mixtures of non-ideal gases?

Yes, Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures can be applied to mixtures of non-ideal gases as long as the ideal gas law is used to calculate the partial pressures.

5. How does temperature affect Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the volume of gas molecules, leading to an increase in the partial pressures of each gas in a mixture. Therefore, Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures holds true regardless of temperature changes.