Rotational Mechanics - Pulley and Bucket

In summary, the linear acceleration of the falling bucket is 9.81 m/s². Thanks for trying to help, though!
Kaoi

Homework Statement

Problem:
"A cylindrical 4.91 pulley with a radius of 0.338 m is used to lower a 3.80 kg bucket into a well. The bucket starts from rest and falls for 4.06 s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s². What is the linear acceleration of the falling bucket? Answer in units of m/s²."

Givens:
[tex]
\\ m_{p}=4.91 kg\\

\\ r=0.338 m\\

\\ m_{p}=3.80 kg\\

\\ v_{i}=0 m/s\\

\\ \Delta t=4.06 s\\
[/tex]

Unknown:
[tex]
\\ a_{t}=?
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\\ a_{t} = r\alpha\\

\\ \Tau\=\I\alpha = Fd sin \theta\\

\\ I_{cylinder}\=\frac{1}{2} r^2\\

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\\ \tau = F_{g}r = I\alpha\\
\\ m_{b}gr = \frac{1}{2}mr^2\alpha\\
\\ \alpha = \frac{2m_{b}g}{m_{p}r}\\
\\ a_{t} = \frac{2m_{b}g}{m_{p}\\
[/tex]

Now, I thought that was a perfectly logical way to get the answer, but when I submitted it, the answer was wrong. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Edit: And I seem to be having difficulties putting breaks into my TeX, heh.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
torque is equal to the rate of change of angular momentum. That is-- T=d/dt(Lp+Lb)
I think that should work out.

your approach just doesn't take into account the mass of the bucket.

Ja4Coltrane said:
your approach just doesn't take into account the mass of the bucket.

What do you mean by this? I used the mass of the bucket to calculate [tex]F_{g}[/tex], which I used to find the torque that I could divide by [tex]I[/tex] to find [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Well that makes sense if Fg just acted on the pulley. If it acts over the whole system, there is some difference.
T=dL/dt=d(Lp+Lbucket)/dt=d(Iw+mvr)/dt
does that make sense? now you can distribute the d/dt to get your answer.

I am going to try to put Ja4Coltrane's math into more conceptual terms.

Note: Remember those mass/pulley systems. This problem is just a rotational analogy.

1st: You are correct that the only force is the wieght (mg) of the bucket. However F=ma and there are two masses here. Now F is a net force so it is F=Fg - torque

The two masses are the rotational mass (I) of the cylinder (which you included) but also includes the mass of the bucket (which you forgot).

2nd: Treat both masses as one system and set Fg= both masses x(acceleration).

3. use some algebra and turn angular acceleration into (translational) acceleration. I have a feeling that some factors of r might cancel out.

I hope this is helpful although the mathematical explanation is suffecient for all calculus lovers.

Last edited:

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the study of forces, torques, and energy in relation to rotational motion.

2. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to change the direction of a force, allowing for easier lifting or pulling of heavy objects.

3. How do pulleys work in rotational mechanics?

In rotational mechanics, pulleys are used to transmit rotational motion and change the direction of forces. When a force is applied to one side of the pulley, the other side will experience an equal and opposite force. This allows for mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

4. What is a bucket in rotational mechanics?

In rotational mechanics, a bucket is a container attached to a pulley that is used to hold and transport objects. Buckets are often used in combination with pulleys to lift and move materials, such as water or construction materials.

5. What is the principle of conservation of energy in rotational mechanics?

The principle of conservation of energy states that in a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In rotational mechanics, this means that the total energy of a system, including rotational kinetic energy and potential energy, remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.