Solving for Non-Essential Singularity of f(z) at z=0

• Thread starter moo5003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient a_-1 for the function f(z) = sin(z)/[cos(z^3)-1], which has a non-essential singularity at z=0 with an ORD(f:0)=-5. The conversation also mentions expanding the power series and finding the pattern for the coefficient of 1/z, which is -Sigma[(3n+5)!/(2n+2)!]. The conversation ends with a hint to multiply top and bottom by -2/z^6 and to keep enough terms to find the form c/z, and clarifies that the singularity is not removable but a pole of order 5.
moo5003

Homework Statement

f(z) = sin(z)/[cos(z^3)-1]

Show that z=0 is a non-essential singularity with an ORD(f:0)=-5 and determine the co-eff. a_-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, after expanding the power series z^5f(z) I showed that h(0) = 2, ie removable and has order -5. My question comes when I'm finding the co-eff. I can't seem to split the function into explicit h(1/z) + g(z) form so its somewhat hard to find the a_-1 coeff. Any tips would be appreciated.

My power expansion thus far: (Sigma is always from n=0 to infinity for this)

f(z) = Sigma[(-1)^n/(2n+1)! * z^(2n+1)] / Sigma[(-1)^(n+1)/(2n+2)! * z^(6n+6) ]

How do I get a_-1 from this ?!

Alright, I think I may have gotten it:

Just written out the series goes something like:

[z-z^3/3!+z^5/5!-z^7/7!...] / [-z^6/2!+z^12/4!...]

The pattern I saw for the co-eff's of 1/z is as follows, tell me if you see the same thing :P.

-Sigma[(3n+5)!/(2n+2)!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are trying to do with the 'Sigmas' - but I don't think you have to do it. Just work with the explicit series you've written out. Convert the factorials to numbers. Now try to write out the first few terms of the quotient series. Hint: start by multiplying top and bottom by -2/z^6. If you keep enough terms you'll find one of the form c/z.

BTW, it's not a removable singularity. It's a pole of order 5.

1. What is a non-essential singularity?

A non-essential singularity is a type of singularity in complex analysis where a function f(z) approaches a finite value as z approaches a certain point, in this case, z=0. It is also known as a removable singularity because the function can be modified or "removed" at that point to make it continuous.

2. How is a non-essential singularity different from an essential singularity?

An essential singularity is a type of singularity where a function f(z) does not approach a finite value as z approaches a certain point, but instead has an infinite, oscillating, or undefined limit. Unlike a non-essential singularity, an essential singularity cannot be removed or modified to make the function continuous at that point.

3. How do you solve for a non-essential singularity at z=0?

To solve for a non-essential singularity at z=0, you can use the Laurent series expansion. This involves representing the function f(z) as a sum of infinite terms, including both positive and negative powers of z. The coefficients of the series can then be determined using the Cauchy Integral Formula.

4. What is the significance of solving for a non-essential singularity at z=0?

Solving for a non-essential singularity at z=0 can help us understand the behavior of a function near that point. It can also be useful in calculating complex integrals and in finding the residues of a function, which are important in the evaluation of complex integrals using the residue theorem.

5. Can a non-essential singularity at z=0 be avoided?

Yes, a non-essential singularity at z=0 can be avoided by modifying the function f(z) in a way that makes it continuous at that point. This can be done by removing any removable discontinuities, such as a removable singularity, or by extending the function to make it continuous at z=0. However, in some cases, a non-essential singularity may be unavoidable or even desirable in representing certain functions.