Why black holes can have static electric fields?

In summary, black holes can have static electric fields around them because of the strong gravitational force.
magnetar
Why black holes can have static electric fields?

The gravitation of black hole is so strong that nothing can escape from it !

Why black holes can have static electric fields around with it?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing can escape from inside the event horizon. Objects outside the horizon can and do escape.

magnetar said:
The gravitation of black hole is so strong that nothing can escape from it !

Why black holes can have static electric fields around with it?

Thank you in advance!
Why do you assume that the charges have passed through to the event horizon? A Schwarzschild observer would reckion infalling charges to come to rest just outside the event horizon and therefore the field wouldn't have to escape from it since it was never there.

I'm sure there are better explanations around for charged objects which collapse into a black hole. I'd like to hear about such a case myself.

Pete

Chris Hillman was giving me some useful links regarding black holes. See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173650

I'm afraid I haven't read the Kerr paper yet, my pile of "interesting reading material" is a foot high.

I share your interest, Pete. I've been thinking about it a lot. Yes, there's a lot going on in an accretion disk, with a massive magnetic flux. But if the black hole is just sitting there in vacuum, I just can't see how a black hole can have any charge at all. The very concept of a Reissner-Nordstrom black hole is giving me big problems. So I'll join the line forming behind magnetar's original question.

1. What is a black hole and why does it have a static electric field?

A black hole is a region in space with an extremely strong gravitational pull that is so powerful that it traps everything, including light. The static electric field in a black hole is a result of its intense gravitational pull on charged particles, causing them to accumulate in the region around the black hole.

2. How can black holes have a static electric field if they are known for their immense gravity?

The static electric field in a black hole is not in opposition to its gravitational pull, but rather a result of it. As particles are pulled towards the black hole, their positive or negative charges create an electric field that contributes to the overall static electric field of the black hole.

3. Can black holes have different types of electric fields?

Yes, black holes can have both static and dynamic electric fields. The static electric field is a result of the black hole's gravitational pull, while the dynamic electric field is caused by the movement of charged particles near the black hole's event horizon.

4. Are there any other factors besides gravity that contribute to the static electric field in black holes?

While gravity is the main factor, there are other factors that can contribute to the static electric field in black holes. These include the rotation of the black hole and the presence of other charged particles in its vicinity.

5. How does the presence of a static electric field affect the behavior of matter around a black hole?

The presence of a static electric field can affect the behavior of matter around a black hole in several ways. It can influence the movement and trajectory of charged particles, and can also play a role in the formation and stability of the black hole's accretion disk.