Ionized Gases: Do Any Exist or Can They Be Made?

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gases
In summary, it is possible for ionized gas to exist without human intervention, such as in the upper atmosphere where ultraviolet photons from the sun break ionize atoms. Plasmas can also be created at lower temperatures by providing energy for electrons to leave their atoms in forms such as UV light or electric currents. The minimum temperature for gas to become ionized is not necessarily high, as plasmas can exist at room temperature.
maximus
do any exist (possibly an isotope?) or is it posible to create an ionized gas without heating it up (i.e. making it a plasma)?

Physics news on Phys.org
maximus said:
do any exist (possibly an isotope?) or is it posible to create an ionized gas without heating it up (i.e. making it a plasma)?

A flame is nothing more than ionized gas. So yes, ionized gas exists. You also have roughly an "ionized gas" in a typical conductor - the conduction electron gas. These are just your average, everyday examples beyond what you would find in a physics research lab.

One can ionize gas a number of ways beyond just heating, such as electron/proton/etc bombardment, or strong electrical discharge (which is the same as electron bombardment but at a much larger scale).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
One can ionize gas a number of ways beyond just heating, such as electron/proton/etc bombardment, or strong electrical discharge (which is the same as electron bombardment but at a much larger scale.

i guess what i was asking was whether or not such a gas exists naturally, without any human intervention (i.e. heating, bombardment, etc). and i guess what i mean by naturally is in nature, out of extreme conditions like lightning, the sun (i.e. at room temperature)

i have yet another question (that is after the first one gets answered): what is the minimum temperature at which any gas can become ionized?

The upper atmosphere is mostly plasma. Ultraviolet photons from the sun break ionize the atoms there.

Plasmas are not necessarily hot; all that you need to do is provide energy for the electrons to leave their atoms. That energy can come in forms other than heat, e.g. UV light, or an electric current passing through the gas.

- Warren

1. What are ionized gases?

Ionized gases, also known as plasmas, are a state of matter where a significant portion of the atoms or molecules have lost or gained electrons, resulting in positively or negatively charged particles known as ions.

2. How are ionized gases created?

Ionized gases can be created through various methods, such as heating a gas to extremely high temperatures, subjecting it to strong electric or magnetic fields, or through exposure to high-energy radiation.

3. Can ionized gases exist naturally?

Yes, ionized gases can exist naturally in various environments such as in stars, lightning bolts, and the Earth's ionosphere. They also play a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as auroras and the solar wind.

4. What are the applications of ionized gases?

Ionized gases have a wide range of applications in various fields, including industry, medicine, and technology. They are used in plasma TVs, fluorescent lights, and in the production of semiconductors, among many others.

5. How are ionized gases studied and researched?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to study and research ionized gases, such as spectroscopy, which measures the light emitted or absorbed by a plasma, and particle accelerators, which can create and manipulate high-energy ionized gases. The study of ionized gases is also an essential part of plasma physics, a branch of physics dedicated to understanding the behavior of plasmas.