Understanding the Exact Differential Notation in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about the notation used in the topic of exact differentials, specifically the notation (dA/dx)_y = (dB/dy)_x. The conversation clarifies that the x and y represent the variables with respect to which the partial derivatives are being taken. The notation (dA/dx)_y means the partial derivative of A with respect to x, while holding y constant.
GoldPheonix
I'm studying calculus III topics on my own, but I've seen this notation prop up a lot. Could you tell me what it means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_differential

The notation on this page, it has this notation:

[tex]( \frac{dA}{dx} )_y = ( \frac{dB}{dy} )_x[/tex]

What do the x's and y's mean as subscript of the parenthesis? Just plug in the y value at that point into that derivative's equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a common way of denoting a partial derivative--in other words, if F is a function, then Fx is the partial derivative of F with respect to x.

But it's already taking the partial derivative with respect to x, and in the other, y. What's up with that?

OH, sorry, actually in that case I think the notation [tex]\left( \frac{\partial A}{\partial y} \right)_{x}[/tex] means "the partial derivative of A with respect to y, holding x constant." See the last example under "Notation" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_differential#Notation

Thank you.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus, also known as multivariate calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with multiple inputs, also known as multivariate functions.

2. What are the applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and to solve optimization and integration problems with multiple variables.

3. What topics are covered in a multivariable calculus course?

A typical multivariable calculus course covers topics such as vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, and vector calculus. It also includes applications of these concepts to real-world problems.

4. How is multivariable calculus different from single-variable calculus?

Multivariable calculus deals with functions of more than one variable, whereas single-variable calculus deals with functions of a single variable. This means that multivariable calculus involves working with vectors, matrices, and multiple dimensions, while single-variable calculus only deals with one-dimensional functions.

5. What are some resources for learning multivariable calculus?

There are many online resources available for learning multivariable calculus, such as textbooks, lecture notes, video tutorials, and online courses. Additionally, many universities offer free online lectures and materials for multivariable calculus courses. It is also helpful to practice problems and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.