Wireless Transmitter Project Question

In summary: That way, you would have your own private transmission system, and you wouldn't need any other devices or antennas to make it work. In summary, I think that using a pre-made wireless system is the best option for this project. You will need to use a frequency not heavily used in the 300-800MHz range to minimize interference from the start, and you will need to learn about the various band plans in order to build your own system.
electricalcoolness
I have a question regarding those pre-made wireless ic's that are ready to use that you buy in pairs (one is the transmitter unit and the other is a receiver unit). Now I want to use this in a project where I take a signal that is split from my cable television line and send this signal to the wireless transmitter and transmit to a receiver that is hooked up to another tv and receives the signal. The goal is to wirelessly broadcast the cable signal to the other tv. Now would a simple Analog to digital converter converting the cable signal with proper sampling feeding the transmitter be enough to transmit the signal? And likewise at the receiver end (after the signal is received) would the signal just need to go through a Digital to Analog converter to properly recover the television signal? Now I know that for proper wireless transmission I would need to encode the data in a way that minimizes data corruption over the wireless transmission. I am asking for opinions to see if this can work and perhaps gain more knowledge about this project that I am embarking on. Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that there are some products out there, but they run on bands that are common, such as 2.4ghz or 900mhz which I know will interfere significantly with other wireless devices in my house. I was thinking of using a frequency not heavily used in the 300-800MHz range to minimize interference from the start. Part of this project for me is to learn a few things along the way and seeing if I can achieve the goal I am after.

Last edited:
electricalcoolness said:
I know that there are some products out there, but they run on bands that are common, such as 2.4ghz or 900mhz which I know will interfere significantly with other wireless devices in my house. I was thinking of using a frequency not heavily used in the 300-800MHz range to minimize interference from the start. Part of this project for me is to learn a few things along the way and seeing if I can achieve the goal I am after.

The reason that they use those frequencies (and the transmit levels) is to fit within the FCC (US Federal Communications Commission) legal requirements for RF transmissions. You can't just make a transmitter at any old frequency and with any old spectrum shape that you want -- the chances are very high that you will interfere with some licensed transmissions, and that can be a bad thing. Just think if you started stepping on the local police and fire dispatch transmissions by accident -- how long do you think it would be before you got a knock on your door? Not long, believe me.

So, your best and safest bet would be to start off using some pre-packaged transmission system, and learn what you can from that project. Then as you learn more (and maybe get your amateur radio license), you will start to understand the various band plans (the allocation of the RF spectrum by the FCC in the US, and other agencies in other countries), and you can see what projects you want to build next. For example, if you are a licensed HAM operator, you can build and operate TV links in the GHz region, but away from 2.4GHz WiFi and other bands. I don't know much about the operation, but I have seen it demonstrated before.

Another option for you would be to get a pair of those TV-over-powerline units, and distribute the video that way.

1. What is a wireless transmitter project?

A wireless transmitter project is a scientific experiment or engineering project that involves designing, building, and testing a device that can transmit data or information wirelessly, without the need for physical wires or cables. This can include technologies such as radio waves, microwaves, or infrared signals to transmit information.

2. What are the applications of a wireless transmitter project?

A wireless transmitter project has a wide range of applications, including wireless communication systems, remote control devices, wireless sensors, and more. It can also be used in various industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, transportation, and military.

3. How does a wireless transmitter work?

A wireless transmitter works by converting electrical signals into a form that can be transmitted through the air, such as radio waves. These signals are then received by a receiver device, which converts them back into the original form. The transmitter and receiver must use the same frequency and encoding method to successfully transmit and receive the information.

4. What are the components of a wireless transmitter project?

The main components of a wireless transmitter project include a power source, a circuit board, an antenna, and a modulator. The power source provides the necessary energy to power the transmitter, while the circuit board contains the electronic components responsible for converting and transmitting the data. The antenna is used to transmit the signals, and the modulator is used to encode the data into a form that can be transmitted wirelessly.

5. What are the challenges in building a wireless transmitter project?

Building a wireless transmitter project can be challenging due to various factors, such as interference from other devices, the limited range of transmission, and the need for precise tuning to ensure successful communication. Additionally, designing and building a compact and efficient transmitter can also be challenging, as it requires a deep understanding of wireless communication principles and advanced engineering skills.