Static friction : Moving truck

In summary, the conversation discusses the situation of an un-tethered block on a flatbed truck that is accelerating up an incline. It is mentioned that if the truck accelerates at a rate less than 2.50 m/s2, the block will remain on the truck, but if it accelerates at a rate equal to or greater than this value, the block will slide off. The coefficient of static friction between the truck and the block is then brought up, and it is mentioned that the tan(15) will give the coefficient if the truck is motionless. To account for the normal force, the formula Fn= M* G is mentioned, but the mass is unknown. The conversation then goes on to mention the maximum
Paulbird20
An un-tethered block sits on a flatbed truck as it accelerates up an incline that makes an angle of 15° with respect to the horizontal. If the truck speeds up at a rate less than 2.50 m/s2, the block remains on the truck. If the truck speeds up at a rate equal to or greater than this value, however, the block slides off the truck. What is the coefficient of static friction between the truck and the block?

Ok so i understand that tan(15) gives me the coef if the trunk is motionless i think? (.267)

And when it has motion i need to account for Normal Force which is Fn= M* G

But i cannot figure out how i get the mass. Assuming something to do with the 2.50 accel but i am stuck any tips would be great.

Fs = n tan angle also found that but still can't figure out how to get Fn

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit

Last edited:
What is the maximum frictional force?

There are 3 forces acting on the block... the static frictional force upward... gravity, and the normal force...

sum of the forces in the direction parallel to the incline = ma

set a = 2.50. what is the frictional force?

sum of the forces perpendicualr to the incline = 0

what is the normal force?

so what is the coefficient of frction...

ahhhhh i feel dumb =/ i got it now thank you for leading me in the right direction

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is experienced when two surfaces are in contact but not moving relative to each other.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the movement of an object that is already in motion. Static friction is generally greater than kinetic friction.

3. How does static friction affect a moving truck?

Static friction plays a crucial role in the movement of a truck. It allows the truck's tires to grip the road and provides the necessary force to accelerate or decelerate the truck. Without static friction, the truck would not be able to move or stop.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of static friction, which is a property of the materials in contact, also plays a role in determining the magnitude of static friction.

5. How can the static friction between a truck and the road be reduced?

The static friction between a truck and the road can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of static friction, such as tires with better traction, or by decreasing the weight of the truck. Additionally, using materials that are smoother or applying a lubricant between the surfaces can also decrease the static friction.