Acceleration of Pulley w/ Masses: Solving Homework

In summary, the problem involves a string passing over a pulley with two masses hanging from each end. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder with given mass and radius. The first part of the problem asks for the acceleration of the two masses if the pulley bearings were frictionless. The second part of the problem gives a specific scenario and asks for the average frictional torque acting on the pulley. The solution involves finding the relationship between alpha and linear acceleration and using three equations and three unknowns to solve for the acceleration and the forces on the masses.
jmcmillian

Homework Statement

A string passing over a pulley has a 3.8-kg mass hanging from one end and a 3.15-kg mass hanging from the other end. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 4.0 cm and mass .80 kg.
(a) If the bearings of the pulley were frictionless, what would be the acceleration of the two masses?
(b) In fact, it is found that if the heavier mass is given a downward speed of .2 m/s, it comes to rest in 6.2 s. What is the average frictional torque acting on the pulley?

Homework Equations

I= .5*M*R^2
For mass 1: F_1 - (m_1g) = m_1a
For mass 2: m_2g - F_2 = m_2a

The Attempt at a Solution

The inertia for the pulley is simple. .5*.8*.04^2 = .00064

Now, rearranging the first two equations:
a= (F_1 - m_1g)/(m_1)
a=(m_2g-F_2)/(m_2)

Since the magnitude of the acceleration has to be the same for both masses...

And now is where I am stuck. I have 3 unknowns (F_1, F_2, a), and the Inertia equation times alpha can be equivalent to (F_2 - F_1)*r. But, that introduces alpha into the mix, which would be another unknown.

What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can simply make this problem easier by elimitating one unknown either a, or alpha since there is a relationship between the two:

a = alpha * r (Not only the linear acceleration of the two masses will have the same magnitude but the one of the pulley as well since they are all in the same system)
By using this equation should be a little easier to find the acceleration since you would have three equations and three unknowns. (a, F2 and F1) and you would get another eqatuion : a = (F2 - F1)r^2/I in addition to the ones you already mentioned

I hope this helps!

You are missing the simple relationship between alpha and the linear acceleration.

Thank you both Doc Al and Hells Kitchen. The relationship between the alpha and linear accel. was floating around in my mind during my post, but wasn't really certain how to go about it. Sometimes I get so sucked into the problem that I lose focus and forget simple relationships that are the keys to success. Thanks again!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system with masses?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system with masses is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 is the mass of one object, m2 is the mass of the other object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in a pulley system?

The direction of acceleration in a pulley system can be determined by comparing the masses of the two objects on either side of the pulley. The side with the larger mass will experience a downward acceleration, while the side with the smaller mass will experience an upward acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration in a pulley system with masses?

The acceleration in a pulley system with masses can be affected by the masses of the objects, the friction in the pulley, and the angle at which the rope is being pulled.

4. How do you calculate the net force in a pulley system with masses?

The net force in a pulley system with masses can be calculated by multiplying the acceleration by the total mass of the system. This net force will be equal to the difference in tension on either side of the pulley.

5. Can you determine the acceleration of a pulley system with masses using the conservation of energy?

Yes, the conservation of energy can be used to determine the acceleration in a pulley system with masses. By equating the change in potential energy of the system to the work done by the net force, the acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2).