Coulomb's Law and Net Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three point charges on the x-axis and the determination of the equilibrium position of the third charge. The forum user sets up the problem correctly using the equation for electric force, but there may be a small error in their calculation that is leading to the incorrect answer. They are advised to double check the values of the charges and their algebra to find the correct answer.
Nghi

Homework Statement

Two point charges lie on the x-axis. A charge of +7.7 uC is at the origin, and a charge of -4.4 uC is at x = 10.0 cm. At what position x would a third charge q3 be in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

coulombslawforcediagram.jpg

This was how I set up my diagram, and then I set F13 = F23.

F13 = k(q1)(q3)/x^2
F23 = k(q2)(q3)/(0.1-x)^2

k and q3 cancels out, so it becomes

q1/x^2 = q2/(0.1-x)^2
(7.7e-6)/(0.1^2) = (4.4e-6)/(0.1-x)^2

I got a final answer of 0.0244 m for x, or 2.44 cm. But it's not the right answer. What am I doing wrong? x__x

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have set up the problem correctly and have used the correct equation to solve for the equilibrium position of the third charge. However, there may be a small error in your calculation that is leading to the incorrect answer.

Firstly, please make sure that you are using the correct values for the charges. In the problem statement, the charges are given in microcoulombs (uC), but in your calculation, you have used the values in coulombs (C). Make sure to convert the charges to the correct unit before plugging them into the equation.

Secondly, when you cancel out the k and q3 terms, you should be left with:

q1/x^2 = q2/(0.1-x)^2

However, in your calculation, you have an extra 0.1^2 term on the left side of the equation, which may be leading to the incorrect answer. Please double check your calculations and make sure that you have not made any small errors in algebra.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Your approach seems correct, but it's possible that you made a calculation error. Make sure you are using the correct units for all variables (uC for charge and m for distance). Also, double check your algebraic steps to make sure you didn't make any mistakes. If you are still having trouble, try plugging in the given values for q1 and q2 and solving for x to see if you get the correct answer. It's also helpful to include units in your final answer to make sure it is the correct magnitude. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for the constant k, which is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between the electrical force between two charged particles and the distance between them. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to net force?

Coulomb's Law is used to calculate the net force between two charged particles. The net force is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the particles. Coulomb's Law helps determine the magnitude and direction of the net force between charged particles.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the net force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. The value of k is 8.99 x 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2.

4. How does distance affect the net force between charged particles?

According to Coulomb's Law, the net force between charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged particles increases, the net force between them decreases. In other words, the further apart the particles are, the weaker the force between them.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to both positive and negative charges. The sign of the charges in the formula will determine the direction of the force, with like charges repelling each other and opposite charges attracting each other. The magnitude of the force will also depend on the charges, with larger charges resulting in a stronger force.