Why can some waves pass through materials but others can't

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transmission and why some waves can pass through materials while others cannot. Specifically, the conversation focuses on the question of why visible light can pass through glass but infrared cannot. It is explained that this has to do with the different absorption lines and band structures of different materials. The conversation also mentions some resources, such as websites and books, that may provide further information on this topic.
leily
Hello,

Why can some waves pass through materials but others can't. Why can visible light go through glass but infrared can't? I know it has to do with transmission but what is the fundamental processes? In as simple terms as possible? If anyone has any websites of books that might help please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think IR can't go through glass?

I saw a picture of a hand behind a sheet of glass in IR. But I guess the reason why it can't see it is because the heat isn't transferred to the air?

Are you near an incandescent light bulb? Turn it on and put your hand near it. Can you feel the heat?

Well in that case when I put my hand under a sheet of glass can I not see it in the IR?

i. is this HW question?
ii. I don't believe this is upper undergraduate level question.

You know that atoms of different kinds have different spectra, i.e the absorbtion lines are different for each element. The same holds for solids. Different solids absorbs Em rad at different wave lenghts. And this has to do with the so called band structure of the solid.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/solids/band.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_structure

So depending on what atoms the solid are made of etc, different band structures arieses. You can think of these bands as the "orbitals" of the electrons in an atom. The bands tell you what electron can have.

1. Why can some waves pass through materials while others can't?

Some waves are able to pass through materials because they have a specific frequency or wavelength that allows them to interact with the molecules in the material. Other waves may not have the right properties to interact with the material, so they are unable to pass through.

2. What determines whether a wave can pass through a material or not?

The ability of a wave to pass through a material depends on the physical properties of the material, such as its density, composition, and structure. These properties affect how the molecules in the material respond to the wave and determine whether it can pass through or not.

3. Can any type of wave pass through any material?

No, not all waves can pass through all materials. Some materials are transparent to certain types of waves, while others are not. For example, light waves can pass through glass, but sound waves cannot. It all depends on the properties of the material and the wave.

4. How do waves interact with materials?

Waves interact with materials in different ways depending on the type of wave and the properties of the material. For example, light waves may be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected by a material, while sound waves may be absorbed or transmitted. These interactions determine whether a wave can pass through a material or not.

5. Is the ability of a wave to pass through a material affected by the material's thickness?

Yes, the thickness of a material can affect whether a wave can pass through it or not. Thicker materials may absorb or reflect more of the wave, making it more difficult for the wave to pass through. However, the type of wave and the properties of the material also play a significant role in determining its ability to pass through.