Off topic posts moved from Forum Rules Quite Obstructive thread.

• Thread starter Count Iblis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a user receiving infractions from Moonbear for reposting a locked thread and questioning her actions. The user believes Moonbear's behavior is dictatorial and wants to know where they can appeal. Other users suggest dealing with the issue through PM and explain that Moonbear's actions are in line with the forum's rules on overly speculative posts. The conversation also touches on the topic of attaching severed heads to bodies, which is deemed too speculative for the forum. The thread is eventually closed and it is advised to address any further concerns through PM or the Feedback & Announcement forum.
Count Iblis
Off topic posts moved from "Forum Rules Quite Obstructive" thread.

And I keep receiving infractions by Moonbear. He locked a thread started by me on unclear grounds. I started a new thread giving more details and also explaining (at the end of the post) my reasons why I disagreed with Moonbear (my PM to him went unanswerd). Moonbear's reaction: He removed that thread and slapped me with even more infraction points for reposting a locked thread.

So, were do I appeal against Moonbear's dictatorial behavior here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Count, you're referring to your thread where you asked if you could attach a severed head to someone else's neck until another body could be found to re-attach it to.

I have to agree with Moonbear's actions.

Count Iblis said:
And I keep receiving infractions by Moonbear. He locked a thread started by me on unclear grounds. I started a new thread giving more details and also explaining (at the end of the post) my reasons why I disagreed with Moonbear (my PM to him went unanswerd). Moonbear's reaction: He removed that thread and slapped me with even more infraction points for reposting a locked thread.

So, were do I appeal against Moonbear's dictatorial behavior here?

You should should deal with this via PM between Moonbear and yourself. If you're unclear why she deleted the thread ask for her to explain it again. Although I'm sure her initial PM would have been quite clear.

Evo said:
Count, you're referring to your thread where you asked if you could attach a severed head to someone else's neck until another body could be found to re-attach it to.

I have to agree with Moonbear's actions.

Evo, I referred to two animal experiments that were performed. I provided a link to Time magazine and to wikipedia. The question I asked was well defined.

Moonbear said that the posting was overly speculative, but PF forum rules say something different, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Overly Speculative Posts:
One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion. Posts deleted under this rule will be accompanied by a private message from a Staff member, with an invitation to resubmit the post in accordance with our Independent Research Guidelines. Poorly formulated personal theories, unfounded challenges of mainstream science, and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.

The experiments I posted about are not disputed by anyone. It's not crackpot it is not a personal theory, nothing of the sort.

When I just reposted a reformulated version, Moonbear again removed that thread and slapped me with even more infractions for "reposting a locked thread", even though I put in some effort to explain myself better and because Moonbear did not reply to my PM a detailed response why I disagree with him locking that thread.

But if this is how things are done at PF, then I think the forum rules should explicitely include a clause that says that Moonbear has the disgression to remove postings and slap people with infractions as he sees fit. :mad:

Kurdt said:
You should should deal with this via PM between Moonbear and yourself. If you're unclear why she deleted the thread ask for her to explain it again. Although I'm sure her initial PM would have been quite clear.

I did PM Moonbear but she did not reply. She keeps on slapping me with infractions without giving me a chance to get a fair hearing.

This is NOT the place to air your grievances over a specific thread action. Reposting deleted topics DOES incur a new infraction. Overly speculative topics are not permitted here either. I have responded to your PMs (no, I do not respond instantly to every PM I receive). There is nothing more to discuss on this here. Your questions went WAY beyond the original experiments performed...overly speculative. Period.

Count Iblis said:
Moonbear said that the posting was overly speculative, but PF forum rules say something different, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374
Our guidelines say
new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.
Neither Time magazine or Wikipedia qualify. Since Moonbear teaches at a medical school, she is certainly the most qualified person here to state whether what you were discussing is credible. If I remember correctly your articles were about experiments on dogs and monkeys, but you asked if this could be done with humans, which the answer is, not at this time, not even attaching a newborn human baby's head to the mother's neck, which I believe you asked about.

And one final quote from the guidelines:

rules said:
When contacting me or a specific mentor please make use of our Private Message system or email us. Do not post a topic in a forum regarding your situation.

If you have a question or comment about how a thread or post has been moderated, please send a private message to the relevant mentor. If you have more general questions or comments about Physics Forums' moderation policies, it may also be appropriate to start a thread in the Feedback & Announcement forum. Please refrain from posting questions or comments about Physics Forums' moderation policies and actions in any other forum.

Your question is not regarding a policy, but is regarding one specific incident and, as such, should be addressed via PM (if it has not already been discussed to death). Thread closed.

Last edited:

1. What are "off topic posts" and why are they moved from the Forum Rules thread?

"Off topic posts" refer to messages or discussions that are not related to the original topic or purpose of the thread. They are moved from the Forum Rules thread in order to keep the discussion focused and organized, and to prevent the thread from becoming cluttered with unrelated content.

2. How are off topic posts determined and who decides to move them?

Off topic posts are typically determined by the thread moderator or administrator who oversees the specific forum. They look for posts that do not contribute to the main topic or purpose of the thread and may move them to a more appropriate thread or delete them altogether.

3. Can off topic posts be moved back to the original thread?

Yes, if an off topic post is deemed relevant or important to the original thread, it can be moved back by the thread moderator or administrator. However, this is not always the case and it ultimately depends on the discretion of the person in charge.

4. Are there any consequences for posting off topic content?

In most cases, there are no major consequences for posting off topic content. However, constantly posting irrelevant or disruptive content may result in a warning or eventually a ban from the forum.

5. How can I avoid having my posts moved due to being off topic?

To avoid having your posts moved, make sure to read and understand the forum rules and stay on topic when participating in discussions. If you have something to say that is not related to the current thread, consider starting a new thread instead.