Block sliding down an incline and hitting a smaller block

In summary, two cubes of different masses collide on a frictionless incline, with the larger cube sliding down and striking the smaller cube. The incline is 30 cm high and the table is 90 cm off the floor. Using kinematics, energy and momentum conservation, the final velocities of both cubes can be calculated, with the larger cube leaving at a speed of 2.42 m/s and the smaller cube at a speed of 4.2 m/s.
12boone

Homework Statement

In a physics lab, a cube slides down a frictionless incline as shown in the figure (Intro 1 figure) , and elastically strikes another cube at the bottom that is only 1/6 its mass. The picture is located in the attachement. If the incline is 30 cm high and the table is 90 cm off the floor, where does each cube land? [Hint: Both leave the incline moving horizontally.]

Homework Equations

kinematics and MVi+MbVi=MVf+MbVf

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done several things. I tried to find the final velocity using kinematics and then plug it into find the other final velocity. I tried using the 1/6 to cancel all masses so that i get vi=vf+1/6vf. I am getting wrong answers everytime though.

Attachments

• GIANCOLI_ch07_p29.jpg
    GIANCOLI_ch07_p29.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 744
Physics news on Phys.org
Show exactly what you did. Your first goal should be to find the speeds at which they leave the table.

Hint: You'll need both energy and momentum conservation.

i used mgh=1/2mv^2 to get the speed of the big block which is 2.42 m/s I plugged it in like this 9.8(.30m)=1/2v^2 then used algebra to solve. then i did the same thing for the final velocity of the lil block so i did 9.8(.90)=1/2v^2 and i found it was 4.2 m/s. then i found the va' by doing 2.42=Va'+1/6(4.2) and that is 1.72.

12boone said:
i used mgh=1/2mv^2 to get the speed of the big block which is 2.42 m/s I plugged it in like this 9.8(.30m)=1/2v^2 then used algebra to solve.
This sounds good.
then i did the same thing for the final velocity of the lil block so i did 9.8(.90)=1/2v^2 and i found it was 4.2 m/s.
I don't understand what you did here. It looks like you found the vertical component of the block speed when it hits the floor. You'll need this later, but first you need to find the horizontal speed with which both blocks leave the table.

Once you have the speed of the big block just before the collision, apply conservation of momentum and energy to find the block speeds just after the collision.

if i use that i get 2.42=Va'+1/6Va'b i have two variables

i mean 2.42=Va'+1/6Vb'

I have no idea how to do this part. i keep getting two variables no matter what i try to manipulate. what is the eq for con of energy. 1/2 mv^2 +mgh=1/2mv^2+mgh?

12boone said:
i mean 2.42=Va'+1/6Vb'
OK. That's conservation of momentum.
12boone said:
i keep getting two variables no matter what i try to manipulate. what is the eq for con of energy. 1/2 mv^2 +mgh=1/2mv^2+mgh?
The potential energy doesn't change during the collision, so just compare the initial KE (of the big block) to the final KE (of both blocks). That's how you'll get your conservation of energy equation, which is the second equation that you need.

1. What is the force acting on the smaller block when the larger block hits it?

The force acting on the smaller block is equal to the force of impact from the larger block, which is calculated by using the equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration).

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of the block?

The steeper the incline, the faster the block will slide down due to the force of gravity. This is because the component of the force of gravity acting in the direction of the incline increases as the angle of the incline increases.

3. Will the smaller block move after being hit by the larger block?

Yes, the smaller block will move after being hit by the larger block. This is due to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. As the larger block hits the smaller block, it transfers some of its momentum, causing the smaller block to move.

4. What is the relationship between the masses of the two blocks and the acceleration of the larger block?

The acceleration of the larger block is inversely proportional to the mass of the larger block. This means that as the mass of the larger block increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa. The mass of the smaller block does not affect the acceleration of the larger block.

5. How does friction play a role in the motion of the blocks?

Friction can slow down the motion of the blocks, as it acts in the opposite direction of the motion. If there is enough friction between the incline and the larger block, it may even prevent the smaller block from moving after being hit. The coefficient of friction between the two surfaces will also affect the amount of force needed to move the blocks.