Solving the Wave Displacement Equation: y = 0.37 sin(t - 3.88x)

In summary, the displacement y is 0.16452 meters when t = 34.4 seconds and x = 6.7 meters. To get the correct answer, make sure your calculator is set to radians before plugging in the values for t and x.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

The displacement (in meters) of a wave is y = 0.37 sin((pi)t - 3.88(pi)x), where t is in seconds and X is in meters.

What is the displacement y when t = 34.4 s and x = 6.7 m?

Homework Equations

y = 0.37 sin(t - 3.88x)

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 0.37 sin((pi)34.4-3.88(pi)6.7)
y = .16452 meters

What am I missing here? All I should have to do is plug the t and x values into the given equation right? For some reason I'm getting it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JJones_86,

JJones_86 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 0.37 sin((pi)34.4-3.88(pi)6.7)
y = .16452 meters

What am I missing here? All I should have to do is plug the t and x values into the given equation right? For some reason I'm getting it wrong.

You need to set your calculator to radians.

Your attempt at a solution is correct. It is possible that the given equation is incorrect or there may be a mistake in the calculation. It would be helpful to double check the given equation and the values of t and x to ensure accuracy. Additionally, including units in the final answer (i.e. y = 0.16452 meters) would make the solution clearer.

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the wave displacement equation?

The variable y represents the displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position, while t represents time and x represents the position along the wave.

2. How do you solve the wave displacement equation?

To solve the wave displacement equation, you need to plug in values for the variables t and x and calculate the corresponding value for y. This can be done using a calculator or by hand.

3. What is the significance of the number 0.37 in the equation?

The number 0.37 is the amplitude of the wave, which represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, it means that the wave has a maximum displacement of 0.37 units.

4. Why is the phase shift represented by the number 3.88 in the equation?

The number 3.88 represents the phase shift of the wave, which is the horizontal displacement of the wave from its starting position. In this case, it means that the wave starts at a position 3.88 units to the right of the origin.

5. How is the wave displacement equation used in real life?

The wave displacement equation is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to model and study the behavior of waves in different systems, such as sound waves in air, light waves in water, and electromagnetic waves in space.