Mechanics of solids prob. help

In summary: Acircle= 16.7, Arect= 36.4, and Asquare= 108.3. The most efficient beam is the square beam. In summary, the most efficient beam is the square beam.
rahshail
Mechanics of solids prob. help!

here is a prob. i have.anybody help.
Three beams have the same length, the same allowable stress and the same B.M. The cross section of the beams are a circle, a square, and a rectangle with depth twice the width. weight wise best section in order of merit will be...??(arrange in increasing order pls)

pls tell the method by which u solve the prob.

Physics news on Phys.org

rahshail said:
here is a prob. i have.anybody help.
Three beams have the same length, the same allowable stress and the same B.M. The cross section of the beams are a circle, a square, and a rectangle with depth twice the width. weight wise best section in order of merit will be...??(arrange in increasing order pls)

pls tell the method by which u solve the prob.
You should please show at least some effort as to how you would approach the problem. What do you know about the geometric properties (area, moment of inertia, etc.) of each given cross section?

Actually i hav got this problem while m studying a book. i have written the problem here as it was in the book. so please try to boggle ur mind on the prob. as it is written here. i have no additional details on it. however i myself don't think it requires any further details. we can use bending equation and formulae for bending and section modulus. please try.

rahshail said:
Actually i hav got this problem while m studying a book. i have written the problem here as it was in the book. so please try to boggle ur mind on the prob. as it is written here. i have no additional details on it. however i myself don't think it requires any further details. we can use bending equation and formulae for bending and section modulus. please try.
Yes, the section modulus (and area) of each shape is very important to know in this problem, but the burden is on YOU to try, not me or any other responders. If you would please show your attempt at how your knowledge of Section Modulus can be used to solve this problem, then, and only then, can we be of further assistance. Please show some effort at an approach to the solution, however minimal it might be. Peace.

OK fine. Here is what i have tried.

from universal bending equation, fs= M * Z
where M= bending momet
Z= section modulus
f= allowable stress
Now if M and f are same for the all three sections then Z will also same.
For circular section Z= (π/32)d3 d--> diameter of section
For rectangular section Z= bd3/12 b-->width and d-->depth of section
For square section same as rectangular but here b=d

mass= Volume * density
= area of section * length * density
and length 'l' and density same for all beams so mass will depend upon area of section only.

now we need to solve by these two facts: 1. section modulus same
2. mass dependent on area of section
here i am unable to establis the relation between these two. now further help needed in this

rahshail: Bending stress is f = M/Z. Elastic section modulus is Zcircle = pi*(d^3)/32, Zrect = b*(h^2)/6, and Zsquare = (a^3)/6. You correctly stated that Z is the same for all three beams. Also, b = 0.5*h. Therefore, set Zcircle = Zrect, and solve for d in terms of h. Also, set Zsquare = Zrect, and solve for "a" in terms of h. Now compute cross-sectional area, Acircle, Arect, and Asquare, in terms of h. Now arbitrarily let h = 2^0.5, to see which beam is more efficient.

1. What is the difference between stress and strain in mechanics of solids?

Stress is the force applied per unit area on a material, while strain is the measure of deformation or change in shape of a material due to stress.

2. How do I calculate the modulus of elasticity for a given material?

The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, can be calculated by dividing the stress by the strain in the linear region of the stress-strain curve for a material.

3. Can you explain the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning the material will return to its original shape once the stress is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and the material will not return to its original shape even after the stress is removed.

4. How does stress concentration affect the strength of a material?

Stress concentration occurs when there is a sudden change in the shape or cross-section of a material, causing the stress to be distributed unevenly. This can lead to weak points in the material and decrease its overall strength.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of mechanics of solids?

One example of a real-life application of mechanics of solids is in the design and construction of buildings and bridges. Engineers use principles of mechanics of solids to ensure the structures can withstand external forces and maintain their integrity.