How do I solve for the solutions of sin 2θ = sin θ in degrees?

In summary, to find the solutions in degrees for the equation sin 2θ = sin θ, we can use the identity sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ and set it equal to sin θ. We can then divide by sin θ, giving us cos θ = 1. The solutions for this are 0 degrees and 180 degrees, within the given range of greater than or equal to 1 and less than 360.
patriots1049

Homework Statement

sin 2θ = sin θ Find the solutions in degrees.

Homework Equations

sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

sin 2θ = sin θ
2sinθcosθ = sin θ
sinθ *cosθ/sin θ = 1

That's as far as I can get, and I think that is wrong. How do I procede from 2sinθcosθ = sin θ?

Physics news on Phys.org
patriots1049 said:

Homework Statement

sin 2θ = sin θ Find the solutions in degrees.

Homework Equations

sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

sin 2θ = sin θ
2sinθcosθ = sin θ
One obvious possibility is [itex]sin(\theta)= 0[/itex]. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give that?
IF [itex]sin(\theta)\ne 0[/itex], you can divide by it.

sinθ *cosθ/sin θ = 1
So cancel the [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]s, giving [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/math]. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give that?

That's as far as I can get, and I think that is wrong. How do I procede from 2sinθcosθ = sin θ?

Therefore the answer would be 0 degrees and 180 degrees? The book states that answers must greater or equal to one and less than 360.

1. What are Trigonometric Equations?

Trigonometric Equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

2. What are the most common trigonometric functions used in these equations?

The most common trigonometric functions used in these equations are sine, cosine, and tangent. Other less commonly used functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

3. How are trigonometric equations solved?

Trigonometric equations are solved by using algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable of interest. This typically involves simplifying the equation, using inverse trigonometric functions, and solving for the unknown value.

4. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, navigation, and physics. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in real-world scenarios, such as determining the height of a building or the distance between two points.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

One common mistake to avoid when solving trigonometric equations is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians or vice versa. It is also important to be aware of the domain and range of trigonometric functions, as some values may not be valid solutions to the equation.