Solving Physics Homework: Throwing a Stone - 15yo Student, Aus

• Thread starter juliany
  • Start date
In summary, a stone is thrown vertically into the air and caught at the same height. It leaves the thrower's hand at 29.4ms^-1. The stone's maximum height reached is at 29.4ms^-1 and it takes 0.9 seconds for the stone to reach its maximum height and return to the thrower's hand.
juliany
Hello all, I'm a 15 year old student in year 11 in Tasmania, Australia. This was a question from my Physical Sciences class that I was a bit confused about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown vertically into the air and caught at the same height. It leaves the thrower's hand at 29.4ms^-1.

1. Find the time taken for the stone to reach its maximum height.
2. The maximum height reached.
3. The time taken for the stone to return to the height from which it was thrown.
4. The stone's velocity as it hits the thrower's hand on its return.

Homework Equations

I have figured out so far that:
S=0
u=29.4ms^-1
a=-9.81ms^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Is this just 29.4/9.81 ?
2. The above answer x 9.81?
3. Answer number one x2?
4. Would you use v^2=u^2 + 2as ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the equations of motions?

can u write those down? u already have three of the vars...just use those equations to calulate the rest of the vars.

Homework Equations

I have figured out so far that:
S=0
u=29.4ms^-1
a=-9.81ms^-1
s=displacement (of the stone). This is not zero. The displacement is how high into the air it goes before stopping and turning back down to earth.
So we don't know s, but what we do know is that when the stone reaches the top of its flight, its final velocity (v) is zero.

So now use an equation that relates u, v, a, s to solve for s.
The equations is: [tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

To find the time taken for the stone to reach max height, you can use (once you find s) [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
but more easily, you can use [tex]v=u+at[/tex]

I can tell you now that since these questions are assuming no forces except for gravity are acting on the stone, the time for the stone to reach the top of its flight and then to return back into his hand is the same, and the velocity at which it returns to his hand is the same as the velocity at which it was released. But you should show this with the equations.

Mentallic said:
the velocity at which it returns to his hand is the same as the velocity at which it was released. But you should show this with the equations.

Thanks for replying. Does this mean that final velocity(v)=initial velocity(u) which is 29.4ms^-1?

Yes. But use the equations you know to find the final velocity.
u=0 (it's stopped at the top of its flight)
s= (height above point of release)
a= (gravity)

Now use [tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex] and you should notice that the final velocity, v, is the negative of the intial velocity of the throw (since the rock is going back the other way).

What is the formula for calculating the distance a stone travels when thrown?

The formula for calculating the distance a stone travels when thrown is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (approximately 9.8 m/s2), and t is the time.

How do I calculate the initial velocity of a stone thrown at an angle?

The initial velocity of a stone thrown at an angle can be calculated using the formula v0 = v0x/cosθ, where v0 is the initial velocity, v0x is the horizontal component of the initial velocity, and θ is the angle at which the stone is thrown.

What factors affect the distance a stone travels when thrown?

The distance a stone travels when thrown is affected by the initial velocity, angle of release, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind speed and direction, air density, and the shape of the stone can also have an impact.

How can I improve my accuracy when throwing a stone?

To improve accuracy when throwing a stone, it is important to have a consistent and controlled release, maintain a proper angle of release, and practice with different weights and sizes of stones to find the most comfortable throwing method.

What is the difference between a projectile and a free-falling object?

A projectile is a body that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. A free-falling object, on the other hand, is an object that is only affected by gravity and falls straight down without any horizontal motion. A projectile can be considered a combination of both horizontal and vertical motion, while a free-falling object only has vertical motion.