Damped Oscillation: Understanding Phase Difference

In summary, there is a phase difference between the resonant pendulum and the friver pendulum. This difference may contradict the idea of resonance oscillation.
cutesoqq
In my notes, there are two sentences make me feel strange...

As we know, the pendulum whose length equals to that of the friver pendulum, its natural frequency of oscillation if the same of the frequency of the driving one. This is known as resonance oscillation.

However, somewhere I found another sentence...

"The resonant pendulum, is always a quarter of an oscillation behind the friver pendulu, i.e.there is a phase difference of T/4"

I don't know why there is a phase difference, if there is, then I think it contradicts the definition of resonance oscillation. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the phase difference is a function of the frequency and damping. At the resonant frequency, and at optimal damping ([tex]\gamma=w_0[/tex]), the phase difference is [tex]\pi/4 [/tex].

This does not contradict the idea of resonance as this IS the frequency where the amplitude is maximum.

Objects resonate, and systems resonate, driving forces don't resonate, per se. I will have to look up this friver pendulum, but the driving point does not have to be in phase with an object at resonance unless it is directly driving the property of consideration. For instance, if you directly and rigidly grab the pendulum's cable and forcefully swing it back and forth, then you would need to stay in phase to induce resonance. If, however, you have a really loose spring attached to the driving point, then you have to take into account the delay in the spring. Delay in response at a certain frequency is the same thing as phase lag.

I couldn't find anything about a friver pendulum. Can you explain what it is? BTW, if you meant "driver pendulum," then I appoligize. I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything. Even if you did mean driver pendulum, I still don't quite have a picture in my mind of the set-up.

Something that just came to mind:
There may be two resonance conditions. One is the resonance of an individual pendulum and the other is the resonance of a coupled two-pendulum system. Even if these two pendulums have the same resonance frequency, their coupling can give you a new resonance frequency. In fact, there will be two natural frequencies for the coupled two-pendulum system.

Last edited:
I thought 'friver' was a typo for 'driver' !

right... driven = driving in my notes...i feel troublesome with these words too...

Well, I don't know what a driver pendulum is. Please explain.

1. What is damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation is a type of motion that occurs when a system is subject to a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position, but is also subject to a damping force that opposes the motion and causes it to decrease over time.

2. How is damped oscillation different from simple harmonic motion?

Damped oscillation is similar to simple harmonic motion in that it is a repetitive motion around an equilibrium position. However, in damped oscillation, the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force, while in simple harmonic motion, the amplitude remains constant.

3. What is the phase difference in damped oscillation?

The phase difference in damped oscillation refers to the difference in the timing of the motion between two oscillating systems. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be used to describe the relationship between the amplitudes and frequencies of the two systems.

4. How does the damping factor affect the phase difference in damped oscillation?

The damping factor, also known as the damping ratio, determines the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillation decreases. A higher damping factor results in a larger phase difference between two oscillating systems, while a lower damping factor results in a smaller phase difference.

5. How can understanding phase difference in damped oscillation be useful?

Understanding phase difference in damped oscillation can be useful in many applications, such as in engineering and physics. It can help in designing and analyzing systems that involve oscillatory motion, such as springs and pendulums, and in understanding the behavior of systems that are subject to damping forces, such as automotive suspension systems.