Creating a DIY Touchscreen: A Fun Project

In summary: Pens?Ink?whatever you call them.In summary, the person set up a Wii Remote, golf glove, Infra Red LED, and small battery to turn their computer monitor into a touch screen. They also bought a USB dongle for blue tooth and cost $91.09. They then posted a summary of their project which ended with them saying "You will all fear me and my wii!"
Cyrus
It Works!

I went out and bought a Nintendo Wii Remote, a golf glove, an Infra Red LED and a small battery and set it up.

My Computer screen is now a touch screen!

Since my computer does not have blue tooth, I had to buy a USB Dongle. The total cost was $91.09

The cool factor is priceless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Seriously? What size screen you got? Will it work on mine at 22"?

A billion inches.

Edit: someone deleted their post before this one......jared I'm looking in your direction. I'm not going to say any names, but I think you might know him.

Last edited:

Alright, so does it work or not, the vids one thing but have you actually tried it?

jarednjames said:
Alright, so does it work or not, the vids one thing but have you actually tried it?

Cyrus said:
My Computer screen is now a touch screen!

Reading comprehension 0/10.

Oh and go to hell cyrus.

I'm going to do this.

Given your usual level of sarcasm, I thought you were mocking it.

Pengwuino said:
Reading comprehension 0/10.

Oh and go to hell cyrus.

I'm going to do this.

Don't do it Pengwuino. This is way beyond your level of coolness to attempt.

cyrus said:
don't do it pengwuino. This is way beyond your level of coolness to attempt.

i will start tomorrow!

You will all fear me and my wii!

Pengwuino said:
i will start tomorrow!

You will all fear me and my wii!

When you're setting it up, make sure you point the laser in your eye and stare at it for a good 10 mins. That's the only way to see the infra red.

Cyrus said:
A billion inches.

Edit: someone deleted their post before this one......jared I'm looking in your direction. I'm not going to say any names, but I think you might know him.

I do apologise for that one cyrus, I meant to delete the one which said "compensating for something are we?" which was after the billion inches one, but ended up hitting the wrong post.

jarednjames said:
I do apologise for that one cyrus, I meant to delete the one which said "compensating for something are we?" which was after the billion inches one, but ended up hitting the wrong post.

Waves magic wand...

cristo said:
Waves magic wand...

Nicely done there. Ta

Ok so Cyrus, what did you use the golf glove for? sicko.

Wait, do I need to know C or VB to do this crap? >:(

The golf glove replaces the marker pen, you attach the infra red led and battery to the glove. From what I can see, you attach the wii remote to the pc via bluetooth and then run standard electronic whiteboard software to calibrate it along with his custom software to run it.

Ok i have an idea. What if you made a 3-laser pen. 2 IR lasers and 1 red laser, all low-powered of course. The red laser would act as a pointer and I wonder if you could get the software to somehow differentiate between each IR laser and you could make like a right click and left click pen! I really don't think you could do that but...? Otherwise you could just use 2 lasers and have a simple left-click.

What I'm imagining is working with a computer from a distance instead of having to be up at the projected image. It would replace people having to be at their computer messing with things too. Then again I think that's probably a marginal convenience haha.

Ok let's start figuring out other uses for this.

STICKY STICKY STICKY!

If you could just strap on the wii remote to one of those mini-projectors, you can have a whiteboard wherever you go! Use it with the laser pen and you could like... "air write".

hehe, strap on.

Last edited:

Pengwuino said:
Ok i have an idea. What if you made a 3-laser pen. 2 IR lasers and 1 red laser, all low-powered of course. The red laser would act as a pointer and I wonder if you could get the software to somehow differentiate between each IR laser and you could make like a right click and left click pen! I really don't think you could do that but...? Otherwise you could just use 2 lasers and have a simple left-click.

What I'm imagining is working with a computer from a distance instead of having to be up at the projected image. It would replace people having to be at their computer messing with things too. Then again I think that's probably a marginal convenience haha.

Ok let's start figuring out other uses for this.

STICKY STICKY STICKY!

If you could just strap on the wii remote to one of those mini-projectors, you can have a whiteboard wherever you go! Use it with the laser pen and you could like... "air write".

hehe, strap on.

Umm, how would air writing work? The way I see it is that the wii remote picks up the infra red dot on the board/monitor. To air write you would have to face the remote which would invert all your movements, so you would write backwards.

jarednjames said:
Umm, how would air writing work? The way I see it is that the wii remote picks up the infra red dot on the board/monitor. To air write you would have to face the remote which would invert all your movements, so you would write backwards.

It's the same concept. The laser would be pointed at the projected image. The only difference is instead of being up close as if it were a whiteboard, you could be far back because the laser... well... is a laser. You wouldn't have to worry about getting in the way of the sensor. You could sit like, in your chair behind the projector and just point the lasers towards the projected image and write in the air.

The red laser would just basically be a visual guide so you know where you're pointing. I'm not too sure how well it would work considering when I see people use laser pointers from a distance during presentations, it's a pretty shaky affair. Then again that might be because they're trying to be as straight as possible instead of getting to freely move around trying to write.

jarednjames said:
The golf glove replaces the marker pen, you attach the infra red led and battery to the glove. From what I can see, you attach the wii remote to the pc via bluetooth and then run standard electronic whiteboard software to calibrate it along with his custom software to run it.

Should have gotten a power glove instead.
power_glove.jpg

TheStatutoryApe said:
Should have gotten a power glove instead.
power_glove.jpg

I don't care if that's from the 1980s, that's still futuristic.

I just bought 2 IR Lasers and 5 red lasers from China. BE AFRAID. I also need to buy a few IR LED's from radioshack. COWER BEFORE ME!

Pengwuino said:
I just bought 2 IR Lasers and 5 red lasers from China. BE AFRAID. I also need to buy a few IR LED's from radioshack. COWER BEFORE ME!

I'm not sure what it is, but I have a feeling you've watched a lot of Invader Zim. Could that be true? If not, then maybe you should check it out. sorry for off topic post.

MY LASERZ HAVE ARRIVED! BE AFRAID!

The red one is f'n BRIGHT. I feel like it's 10V away from being a lightsaber and I could take over the world with it. PANTS!

Just be careful, you could put someone's eye out with that thing.

1. How do I create a DIY touchscreen?

To create a DIY touchscreen, you will need a few basic materials such as a touchscreen panel, a display, a controller board, and a power supply. You will also need to have some knowledge of electronics and programming.

2. What is the cost of creating a DIY touchscreen?

The cost of creating a DIY touchscreen will depend on the quality of materials you choose and the complexity of the project. On average, it can range from $50 to $200.

3. Can I use any touchscreen panel for this project?

No, not all touchscreen panels are compatible with DIY projects. It is important to research and choose a panel that is compatible with your display and controller board.

4. Do I need to know how to code to create a DIY touchscreen?

Yes, some basic knowledge of coding is necessary to create a DIY touchscreen. You will need to program the controller board to communicate with the touchscreen panel and display.

5. Is creating a DIY touchscreen a difficult project?

It can be a challenging project for those with no experience in electronics and programming. However, with the right materials and instructions, it can be a fun and rewarding project for anyone to try.