When does this get really difficult?

• Thread starter MikeBeer
  • Start date
In summary, the first two years of an astronomy/physics double major mostly consist of foundational courses, with the material becoming more difficult around the junior year. This may be due to the order in which courses are taken or attrition of struggling students. Additionally, graduate students may have a more comprehensive understanding of physics due to their longer schooling and preparation for exams.
MikeBeer
I'm starting my second year as an astronomy/physics double major. Up to this point, I've only had basic foundation courses, most of which I've come across in high school. I know this question is highly subjective, but when do the courses start to become really difficult? I've heard from TAs that the first two years are mostly foundational material and it starts getting "serious" around the junior year, is this true? However, the gpas of the courses in the junior/senior year are higher than the first two years; why is this the case? For example, I work with a first-year graduate student and, although I understand that he has had 3-4 more years of schooling than me, he seems to know a great deal about even the more specific aspects of astronomy. Any insight is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's consistent with my experience. Somewhere between second and third year is when you start to get into the stuff that isn't so much just an extension of high school concepts. A lot depends I think on the order you take the courses in. And for some people, it doesn't get hard until graduate school.

The only explanation I might have for higher GPAs would be attrition. The students who struggle too much in the first couple years tend to switch majors, removing the lower marks from the grade pool.

Also, why wouldn't a grad student with 3-4 more years of schooling know more about physics than a student going into the second year of undergrad? You cover a LOT of material over the duration of a physics degree (or at least you should). And if the graduate student is preparing for a comprehensive or candidacy exam, it is likely that he or she is spending a lot of time relating the material in different fields to each other.

I can understand your curiosity about when the courses in your major will start to become more challenging. However, it is important to remember that every individual's learning experience is different and what may be difficult for one person may not be for another. Additionally, the difficulty level of a course can also depend on the teaching style of the professor and the amount of effort put in by the student.

That being said, it is generally true that the first two years of a science major are focused on building a strong foundation in the subject. This includes familiarizing oneself with basic concepts and theories, as well as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. As you progress into your junior and senior years, the courses will become more specialized and in-depth, requiring a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

The reason for the higher GPAs in the junior and senior years could be due to a number of factors. One possibility is that students have had more time to adjust to the rigor of college-level courses and have developed better study habits. Additionally, as the courses become more specialized, students may have a stronger interest and motivation to excel in their chosen field.

As for your observation about the first-year graduate student, it is important to remember that they have had several more years of schooling and experience in the field. They have likely taken more advanced courses and have had the opportunity to participate in research projects, giving them a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

In conclusion, while the difficulty level of courses may vary for each individual, it is safe to say that the junior and senior years of a science major will require a greater level of dedication and understanding. My advice would be to continue to work hard and seek help when needed, and remember that the challenges you face will only make you a stronger and more knowledgeable scientist in the long run.

1. When does the difficulty level start to increase?

The difficulty level can vary depending on the specific topic or field of study. Generally, it can start to increase as you progress to higher levels of education or specialization in a particular subject.

2. Are there certain subjects that are more difficult than others?

Yes, some subjects may be more challenging for individuals based on their interests, strengths, and learning styles. However, difficulty can also be subjective and may vary from person to person.

3. How can I prepare for difficult topics or concepts?

One way to prepare for difficult topics is to establish a strong foundation in the fundamentals and continuously review and practice them. Additionally, seeking help from peers, teachers, or online resources can aid in understanding and mastering difficult concepts.

4. Is it normal to struggle with difficult topics?

Yes, struggling with difficult topics is a normal part of the learning process. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is okay to ask for help when needed. With persistence and determination, difficult topics can be mastered.

5. What are some strategies for overcoming difficult challenges in science?

Some strategies for overcoming difficult challenges in science include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from reputable sources, utilizing different learning techniques, and actively engaging in hands-on experiments and activities. It is also important to stay organized and dedicated to the learning process.