Is grad school a possibility for me?

In summary, it is important to have good grades in your major courses and to have maturity levels that match your age.
joeG215
My first two years of attending the university i basically flunked out. I was in a bad personal situation that just messed me up. I shouldn't have been going to school at all. But, I did. I had may be a .75 gpa or something. Needless to say, I was academically dismissed from the school.

After that I made some major changes in my life and started going to community college. Two years later (today) I got my AA with a 3.8 gpa. I applied for readmission through a salvage program where they reset your gpa to 0.00 but you retain the courses that were taken at CC.

So currently I have a "0.00 gpa" and two years left for my degree (Biology w/ minor in Psych). I realize that it the first couple of years are always going to be on my record. My question is if anyone has had some type of experience in this situation? Do you believe if I continue to receive A's in the majority of my classes, they might "forgive" those first two years and have a chance at a decent grad program? I plan to speak to an advisor on Monday about this, but I just thought I'll throw this question out here, see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
By "resetting to 0.00", does that mean you have 0 units with 0 gpa points? Or well, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you get straight A's until you get your BS, would you have a 4.0 or a roughly 2.00?

Pengwuino said:
By "resetting to 0.00", does that mean you have 0 units with 0 gpa points? Or well, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you get straight A's until you get your BS, would you have a 4.0 or a roughly 2.00?

Sorry i was somewhat unclear about that.

I would have 60 credits with a 0.00. Straight A's from now till BS would give me a 4.0, but I have that big stain on my record. That's what I'm worried about.

It seems to be that if you failed out but then re-did essentially everything with a 4.0 overall I'm sure you'd be considered. Just remember that GPA isn't everything.

Remember that different schools calculate GPA in different ways. Even if your school says they will reset your GPA to zero, I seriously doubt they will "erase" the record of what you did before and those grades will still be on your transcripts.

When I applied to Pharmacy school, once school (USC) calculated my GPA based on everything I took, EVERYTHING. Meaning that even though I retook some classes to raise my GPA they calculated my GPA counting using both my original class grade and the grade I got when I retook the class. Another school (WesternU) only counted the highest grade earned in a class towards my GPA.

Every school has its own policy for how they will calculate your GPA based on what youve taken in your entire academic career. However, I do believe that in 90% of the cases, your upper division coursework is the most important in terms of judging your academic ability.

I am not in grad school, but am in a similar position as you. I went into UCLA as a freshman and was dismissed within a year because I was a bad student. I eventually was readmitted and ALMOST completed my BA in Sociology and Psychology and even then my grades weren't great (I still wasnt mature enough).

After leaving school for another three years, I went back to scratch and began working towards filling out the requirements for getting into Pharm School and along the way fell in love with math and physics all over again. After two years at my community college, getting great grades in every class (GEs, Bio, Chem, Math and Physics), I am now attending UCI doing a physics and math double major and intend to great in my major. I am 30 years old now, married and 100x more mature than I was and serious about my work.

I would like to think that a grad school will not only look at my achievements in the relevant coursework (my upper division math and physics courses) and also my maturity level and understand why I did as poorly as I did my first go round at a university.

Ive talked to several current grad students, recent grads and professors and they all seem to think that I should have nothing to worry about so long as I continue to do well in my major courses.

I know that all my grades are going to stay in my records but I'm hoping that they look at the academic maturity as you say. That along with some research experience and I should have a fighting chance.

1. Am I qualified for grad school?

The answer to this question depends on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Generally, grad schools look for a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and strong letters of recommendation. However, each program may have specific requirements, so it is important to research and understand the criteria for admission.

2. How important is my undergraduate GPA for grad school?

Your undergraduate GPA is an important factor in the grad school admissions process, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. However, a high GPA can demonstrate your academic abilities and dedication to your studies, which can strengthen your application.

3. Do I need to take the GRE for grad school?

Many grad schools require applicants to submit GRE scores as part of their application. However, some programs may waive this requirement or place less emphasis on GRE scores. It is important to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary for your application.

4. Is it worth it to go to grad school?

This is a personal decision that depends on your career goals and aspirations. Grad school can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, and can open up opportunities for higher-paying jobs and career advancement. However, it also requires a significant time and financial commitment, so it is important to carefully consider your options before making a decision.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting into grad school?

There are several ways to strengthen your grad school application. First, make sure to have a strong academic record and relevant research experience. Additionally, networking and building relationships with potential advisors and mentors can help you secure strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to carefully craft your personal statement and tailor it to the specific program you are applying to. Finally, applying to multiple programs can increase your chances of acceptance.