Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering for major?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a degree in either mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering with the goal of becoming an aerodynamicist for a Formula 1 team. They are also considering the potential job opportunities for each field and the feasibility of applying aerospace engineering concepts to race car design. The conversation ends with the suggestion to pursue a mechanical engineering degree for more flexibility in career options.
89ta
Hey everyone, I have another question for you. :D

Right now I am going into my senior year of high school, and I was wondering if I should get my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace. Eventually I want to work for a Formula 1 team as an aerodynamicist. I plan on getting a masters degree in aerospace either way. I'm not going to be able to just hop into F1 and work, and would have to work my up, proabably through other racing teams and leagues. So my question is, given that I want to work as an aerodynamicist for a racing team, should I go mechanical and then get a masters in aerospace, or aerospace all the way?

I wouldn't mind working on something else besides a race car, so if I didn't get to work for say F1, or some other racing establishment, which would provide the better job oppurtunities?

There is only one good school in my state that offers a degree in aerospace engineering (University of Michigan) which I am hoping I get into, because out of state is pretty expensive. So if I don't get in I would be doing mech probably at MSU then aero somewhere else, although I could do that at U of M...

Oh! One other question, how much of an aerospace engineering degree would I be able to apply to a race car?

Thanks for all the help. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you don't only want to work in the aerospace field I would suggest get a ME degree with a focus on fluid dynamics with a lot of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) courses. These would get you closer to your dream.

89ta said:
Oh! One other question, how much of an aerospace engineering degree would I be able to apply to a race car?

Not sure what you mean by this. Would you happen to mean how much do you learn during an aerospace engineering degree can be applied to the design or build of a race car.

A lot. First off what you should realize is that Aerospace engineers are just highly specialized mechanical engineers in the area of aircrafts and fluid dynamics.

Off the top of my head the tools that an AE can apply directly to a race car would be perhaps the design of the body and shape of the car for optimal/desired performance and perhaps even selection and testing of key structural components to achieve this.

Thanks for the reply. :D

Sorry if that last question wasn't clear, but that is what I meant. I was interested in how much of what I learn could be applied to the design/build of a F1 or other race car.

What you suggested sounded pretty good, do you think doing that would be better than getting a degree in aerospace to start with? Like I said, I'm just not sure if I should get a degree in mechanical and then a masters in aerospace which would allow me to work on other things, or just aerospace for both. I do plan on working in racing be it F1, F3, IRL, ALMS, etc. I find race cars more interesting than ariplanes or space vehicles, although I really wouldn't mind working on them, and I think that would be a good alternative to working in the racing industry.

I guess part of it depends on if I get into the college I want to go to, because if I do I could get a degree in mechanical or aerospace to start with. If I don't I'm sort of stuck with mechanical first and then aerospace later.

Sorry if any of this isn't clear or doesn't make sense. lol. I'm just not sure which would be better for getting me to where I want to be.

To be honest with you, I don't think it matters very much at all if you're going to master in it.

You sound as if you want to be flexible in your career prospects. I would suggest go with the Bachelors in ME and see where to go later. You can get into aerospace without an AE degree.

The AE degree is not as flexible as the ME. ME will open many more doors

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and processes such as engines, machines, and manufacturing tools. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What are some common courses in a mechanical or aerospace engineering major?

Some common courses in a mechanical or aerospace engineering major include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, materials science, dynamics and control, and structures and design. These courses provide a solid foundation in the principles and practices of mechanical and aerospace engineering.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Graduates with a degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, aerospace engineer, and project engineer.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful career in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

A successful career in mechanical or aerospace engineering requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and physics. Additionally, good communication, teamwork, and project management skills are important for working on complex engineering projects.

5. What are some potential challenges of studying mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Some potential challenges of studying mechanical or aerospace engineering include the rigorous coursework and the need to constantly stay updated with new technologies and industry advancements. Additionally, working on complex projects with tight deadlines can be challenging, and attention to detail is crucial in order to ensure the safety and functionality of mechanical and aerospace systems.