Is Taking the GRE More Than Once Recommended for Grad School Admissions?

In summary, the individual is in their fourth year of undergraduate studies and planning to apply to graduate school in the following fall. They are considering taking the GRE twice, once in the spring and once in the early fall, but are concerned about how this may be perceived by grad schools and if the later score will be received in time for their decision. They have also been advised that both scores will be visible to grad schools.
nsatya
I had a couple of questions about getting ready for grad school, mainly about taking the GRE(physics & general). I'm starting my 4th year this fall and will be applying to grad school next fall, since it's taking me 4 and a half years to graduate. As far as the GRE, I was planning on taking it twice - once in Spring 2010 and next in the early Fall 2010 before I apply. One of my concerns was, do grad schools frown upon students taking the GRE more than once? And if I get a better score the 2nd time, will they receive the 2nd score in a sufficient amount of time before making their decision? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think grad schools would look down on you taking the GRE twice, although I can't be entirely sure. During one of my grad school visits, I met someone who took the Math Subject GRE twice and he ended up going to a really good place. But again, I could be wrong about this.

And about taking the subject GRE in the fall, assuming you take it in October, grad schools with deadlines in December should receive it, although if the deadline is at the beginning of December then it's kind of risky.

just be aware that graduate schools will see both of your scores

1. What is the GRE and why is it important for grad school?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is required for admission to many graduate schools. It assesses a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. Many graduate programs use GRE scores as a way to compare applicants and determine their potential for success in the program.

2. When should I take the GRE?

It is recommended to take the GRE at least 6-12 months before you plan to start grad school. This will give you enough time to retake the test if needed and still meet application deadlines. It is also recommended to take the GRE during your junior year of undergraduate studies, as your academic skills will be fresh in your mind.

3. How should I study for the GRE?

There are various study materials and resources available for the GRE, such as prep books, online courses, and practice tests. It is important to start studying early and create a study schedule. Focus on your weaker areas and practice with official GRE questions to become familiar with the test format.

4. Are there any tips for taking the GRE?

First and foremost, make sure you get a good night's sleep before the test and arrive early to the testing center. During the test, read each question carefully and use process of elimination to narrow down answer choices. Don't waste too much time on one question and remember to pace yourself. Also, don't forget to bring a valid form of identification with you to the testing center.

5. Do all grad schools require the GRE?

No, not all grad schools require the GRE. Some programs may have their own admissions tests or may not require a standardized test at all. It is important to research the specific requirements for the graduate programs you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary.