Unknown Charge Ratio Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses two unknown point charges, Q_1 and Q_2, separated by a length L. At a point one-third of the way from Q_1 to Q_2, the electric field is zero. The question asks for the ratio of the charges, Q1/Q2. The solution involves setting the electric fields generated by the charges at the given point to be opposite in direction and proportional, and using the equation E=kQ/r^2 to solve for the ratio.
jlwood13

Homework Statement

You are given two unknown point charges, Q_1 and Q_2 . At a point on the line joining them, one-third of the way from Q_1 to Q_2 , the electric field is zero (see figure). The charges are separated by length, L.

What is the ratio of the charges Q1/Q2?

Homework Equations

F=k(Q1Q2)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put one charge in terms of the other, but I got lost and it seemed to be going nowhere. I'm stuck..

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch21.p41.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch21.p41.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot see the figure pending approval. What is the question? Do you know the separation between the charges?

In any case, you will need to say that the sum of the electric fields generated by the two charges at the given point is zero. Remember that electric fields are vectors, so what must be true for these two vectors to add up to zero?

I apologize. I added the relevant question.. If they add up to zero, they must be opposite in direction and proportional, correct?

I figured it out. Using E=kQ/r^2, set kQ1/(r1)^2=kQ2/(r2)^2 and solve for Q1/Q2. r1=l/3, r2=2l/3. Thanks for your help.

What is the ratio of two unknown charges?

The ratio of two unknown charges refers to the relationship between the amount of electrical charge present in two separate objects. It is a numerical value that represents how much greater or smaller one charge is compared to the other.

How is the ratio of two unknown charges calculated?

The ratio of two unknown charges is calculated by dividing the magnitude of one charge by the magnitude of the other charge. For example, if one charge is 10 Coulombs and the other is 5 Coulombs, the ratio would be 10/5 = 2.

Why is the ratio of two unknown charges important?

The ratio of two unknown charges is important because it helps to determine the strength of the electric field between the two charges. It is also used in various electrical calculations and can provide insight into the behavior of electrically charged objects.

Can the ratio of two unknown charges be negative?

No, the ratio of two unknown charges cannot be negative. This is because electrical charge is a scalar quantity and does not have a negative value. However, the two charges being compared can have opposite polarities, resulting in a negative force or field between them.

How does the medium between two charges affect the ratio?

The medium between two charges can affect the ratio in certain situations. For example, in a vacuum, the ratio of two charges will remain the same. However, in a medium with a different dielectric constant, the ratio may change due to the presence of polarization and a different electric field strength.