Limit of rational function to rational power

In summary: For example, 2+ i and 2- i are conjugates because (2+ i)(2- i)= 4+ 1= 5 has no imaginary part. If z= x+ iy then the "complex conjugate" of z is defined to be x- iy and the product of a complex number and it's "complex conjugate" is always a real number.
vertciel

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit, WITHOUT using l'Hôpital's rule:

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{x^{1/3} + 1}{x^{1/5} + 1} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the conjugate method which does not produce a useful outcome:

[tex] \underset{x\to -1}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{{{x}^{1/3}}+1}{{{x}^{1/5}}+1}\left( \frac{{{x}^{1/3}}-1}{{{x}^{1/3}}-1} \right)=\underset{x\to -1}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{{{x}^{2/3}}-1}{{{x}^{8/15}}-{{x}^{1/5}}+{{x}^{1/3}}-1} [/tex]

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]u^{15} = x, ~then ~u^3 = x^\frac{1}{5} ~and ~u^5 = x^\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Then factor and cancel.

vertciel said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit, WITHOUT using l'Hôpital's rule:

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{x^{1/3} + 1}{x^{1/5} + 1} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the conjugate method which does not produce a useful outcome:

[tex] \underset{x\to -1}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{{{x}^{1/3}}+1}{{{x}^{1/5}}+1}\left( \frac{{{x}^{1/3}}-1}{{{x}^{1/3}}-1} \right)=\underset{x\to -1}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{{{x}^{2/3}}-1}{{{x}^{8/15}}-{{x}^{1/5}}+{{x}^{1/3}}-1} [/tex]

Thank you for your help!
That's not the "conjugate method". [itex]x^a- 1[/itex] is not always "conjugate" to [itex]x^a+ 1[/itex]. A and B (both including roots) are "conjugate" if and only if AB does not have any roots. [itex]x^{1/2}- 1[/itex] is conjugate to [itex]x^{1/2}+ 1[/itex] because [itex](x^{1/2}- 1)(x^{1/2}+ 1)= (x^{1/2})^2- 1^2= x- 1[/itex] but [itex]x^{1/3}+ 1[/itex] is conjugate to [itex]x^{2/3}- x^{1/3}+ 1[/itex] because [itex](x^{1/3}+ 1)(x^{2/3}- x^{1/3}+ 1)= x+ 1[/itex]

Instead use the facts that [itex]x+ 1= (x^{1/3}+ 1)(x^{2/3}- x^{1/3}+ 1)[/itex] and that [itex]x+ 1= (x^{1/5}+ 1)(x^{4/5}- x^{3/5}+ x^{2/5}- x^{1/5}+ 1)[/itex]. Those are the "conjugates".

Thank you for your responses, Bohrok and HallsofIvy.

@HallsofIvy: Thanks for your clarification on conjugates.

How would you define a real conjugate then? Are two terms [tex] x [/tex] and [tex] y [/tex] conjugates of each other if and only [tex] x \times y [/tex] are of degree 1 and do not have any fractional exponents?

Not necessarily of degree one but "does not have fractional exponents", yes.

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator polynomial is not equal to zero.

What is a limit of a rational function?

The limit of a rational function is the value that the function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value, often referred to as the limit point or the point of convergence.

How is the limit of a rational function to a rational power calculated?

To calculate the limit of a rational function to a rational power, we can use the rules of limits, such as the power rule and the quotient rule, to simplify the function and then plug in the limit value to evaluate the limit.

What happens if the denominator polynomial is equal to zero?

If the denominator polynomial is equal to zero, the rational function becomes undefined and the limit does not exist.

Why is the limit of a rational function to a rational power important?

The limit of a rational function to a rational power is important in understanding the behavior of the function, such as where it approaches or diverges, and can also be used in applications such as determining asymptotes and finding critical points.