Linear Charge Distribution Question

In summary, we have solved for the electric field at a distance z above the midpoint of a straight line segment with uniform line charge λ using the given equation. We clarified some notation and techniques used in the solution and provided a step-by-step explanation of how the integral was evaluated. We also addressed a potential issue with the superscripts in the equation and recommended double-checking the original equation for accuracy.
im.zaur

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance z above the midpoint of a straight line segment of length 2L, which carries a uniform line charge [tex]\lambda[/tex].

Homework Equations

dE = 2 * (1 / 4[tex]\pi\epsilon[/tex]) * ([tex]\lambda[/tex]dx / r2) * cos[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\hat{z}[/tex]

cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = z/r

r = [tex]\sqrt{x2 + z2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This an example question from my textbook with a full solution. The problem I am having is that I don't understand where the x2 disappears right after this step.

E = 1 / (4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] (2[tex]\lambda[/tex]z) / ([tex]\sqrt[3]{x2 + z2}[/tex]) dx

And I am not sure why the superscripts didn't work inside the square root function. Any help would be appreciated if anyone understands what I am asking for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for posting this question! It's great to see students actively seeking to understand their textbook problems.

First, let's clarify the notation in the equation you provided. The "dE" in the first equation should actually be "dEz", as you are finding the electric field in the z-direction. Additionally, the "r2" in the equation should actually be "r^2", indicating that it is squared.

Now, to address your confusion about the "x^2" term disappearing: in the integral, you have the term "dx" at the end. This indicates that you are integrating with respect to x. In this case, the "x^2" term is simply a constant factor and can be pulled out of the integral. This is a common technique in integration known as "pulling out a constant".

So, the integral can be rewritten as:

E = (2λz) / (4πε) * ∫ (1 / √(x^2 + z^2)) * dx

= (2λz) / (4πε) * x * ∫ (1 / √(x^2 + z^2)) * dx

= (2λz) / (4πε) * x * ln(√(x^2 + z^2)) + C

= (λz) / (2πε) * x * ln(x^2 + z^2) + C

Finally, we can evaluate the integral at the limits of integration (x = -L and x = L) to get the final solution:

E = (λzL) / (πε) * ln(L^2 + z^2)

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. As for the superscripts not working inside the square root function, it could be due to a formatting issue or a mistake in the original equation. I would recommend double-checking the equation in your textbook to make sure all the superscripts are in the correct place.

1. What is a linear charge distribution?

A linear charge distribution is a physical arrangement of electric charges along a one-dimensional line. This means that the charges are distributed in a straight line, with no variation in distance or direction.

2. How is linear charge density different from charge distribution?

Linear charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit length along a linear charge distribution. It is a measure of how densely packed the charges are along the line. Charge distribution, on the other hand, refers to the arrangement of charges along the line, including their magnitude and sign.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric field of a linear charge distribution?

The electric field (E) at a point P located a distance r from a linear charge distribution is given by the equation: E = (kλ/r)cosθ, where k is the Coulomb constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), λ is the linear charge density, r is the distance from the point to the line, and θ is the angle between the line and the direction of the electric field.

4. Can a linear charge distribution have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a linear charge distribution can have a net charge of zero if the positive and negative charges are equally distributed along the line. This means that the total positive charge is equal to the total negative charge, resulting in a net charge of zero.

5. How does the electric field change as the distance from a linear charge distribution increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from a linear charge distribution increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance (r) from the line, meaning that as r increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law.