Are time flow equally in universe?

In summary: As for time near a Black Hole, if you are at a position in space where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, time does not exist for you. In summary, the conversation covers topics such as server problems in a forum, the concept of time dilation, the idea of a "flow" of time and its possible measurement, and the effects of gravity on time near a black hole. There is also a mention of the possibility of a static universe and the idea that time may not exist at certain points in space.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

First... I wonder are forum is rollback? I post this question before, and its disappear. My previous question reply are drop from 12 to 9 as well

...well... whatever...

back to topic

Assume that we are observer that can stand still and look any where in universe, so we not effect by time dilation.

Are time flow equally in universe? (example: near center of big bang and edge of edge of universe)

English is not my native language, forgive me If I'm wrong in grammar or spelling.

Space news on Phys.org
Chitose said:
Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

First... I wonder are forum is rollback? I post this question before, and its disappear. My previous question reply are drop from 12 to 9 as well
Yes. Server problems. Posts were lost.

Chitose said:
Assume that we are observer that can stand still and look any where in universe, so we not effect by time dilation.

Are time flow equally in universe? (example: near center of big bang and edge of edge of universe)
There is no centre; there is no edge. All places in the universe were part of the BB, so all places are the centre.

Time is experienced locally; there's just no way to measure it independently or over large distances.

Chitose said:

Are time flow equally in universe?

I think of myself as an observer and I am always at rest relative to myself, I can look any where in the universe within my line of sight, and I am not affected by time dilation, it is everywhere else that will be dilated relative to me. If there is a "flow" of time I think of it as a outward motion at c relative to every point with a center connection to our past that we think of as big bang, with the flow equal for every observer.

petm1 said:
If there is a "flow" of time I think of it as a outward motion at c relative to every point with a center connection to our past that we think of as big bang, with the flow equal for every observer.
So time doesn't exist in a static universe??

So time doesn't exist in a static universe??

Where is a static universe? Space and time are tools we use to describe the matter we see into the motion of matter we feel. If it occupies 3d euclidean space it exists in time and if it moves in space it is continuous in time, yet to exist in 3d space you must be dilating in time which makes me think that matter is but a relative sphere of time filled with the outward motion of energy. I fail to see that there is anything static except as a slice of time which we can not capture except for in the mind.

Last edited:
The 'time' you observe only holds true at your position in the universe. The rest of the universe has already moved on in time 'now' - i.e., it is only an illusion. If you could somehow move instantaneously to one of the distant points of light in the night sky, you would become accutely aware that spacetime is not fixed.

Really... hmm...

But I do heard about flow of time can be influence by major gravity?

You know, when Mr.A get nere black hole and hold the clock, Mr.B who stay far away will see Mr.A's clock move slower, but Mr.A himself will see his clock move normal but see Mr.B's clock move faster instead??

Dose that mean flow of time can be messure some how?

Some theory says that center of galaxy is giantic Black hole, Dose that mean time flow in Space near center of galaxy, and time flow at edge of galaxy are flow different?

petm1 said:
Where is a static universe?
Who claimed that there was a static universe? That statement was simply a counterpoint, which you missed, to your earlier comment.

1. How does the concept of time flow apply to the universe?

The concept of time flow is essential to understanding the workings of the universe. Time is a fundamental dimension that allows us to measure the duration of events and the sequence in which they occur. In the universe, time flows at a consistent rate, and it is a universal constant.

2. Does time flow differently in different parts of the universe?

According to the theory of relativity, the rate at which time flows can be affected by factors like gravity and velocity. This means that time can appear to flow differently in different parts of the universe. However, on a large scale, time still flows at a consistent rate throughout the universe.

3. Is the flow of time the same in all directions?

Yes, the flow of time is the same in all directions. Time is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. Therefore, it flows uniformly in all directions, and there is no preferred direction for time to flow in the universe.

4. Can time flow backwards in the universe?

No, time cannot flow backwards in the universe. Time only moves in one direction, from past to present to future. This is known as the arrow of time, and it is a fundamental law of the universe. While some theories suggest that time may be able to loop or bend, it still always moves forward.

5. How does the flow of time relate to the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe does not affect the flow of time. Time continues to flow at a constant rate regardless of the size or shape of the universe. However, the expansion of the universe does affect the perception of time for distant objects due to the stretching of space-time. This is known as time dilation.