Getting college credit for online learning?

In summary, there are accredited universities that grant undergraduate degrees based on credit by examination and online learning, such as Charter Oak, Thomas Edison State College, and Excelsior. It is possible to create an undergraduate physics curriculum using online material, although the issue of converting learning into credit is still a missing piece. The speaker has personally requested to take an online physics course through a community college and is waiting for approval from their university, which has no physics courses. The course is guaranteed to transfer and is designated as a Statewide Guaranteed Transfer course. The speaker will provide updates on whether their university will accept the credits for transfer.
twofish-quant
Anyone have any experience in converting online physics learning into college credit? I know of a few accredited universities that will grant undergraduate degrees based on credit by examination and online learning (i.e. Charter Oak, Thomas Edison State College, and Excelsior), but I'm interested in knowing about anyone that has actually done this.

It seems to me that there is enough material online to create an undergraduate physics curriculum, it's just a matter of putting the pieces together. One particular missing piece is the learning -> credit issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask me in about two weeks. I just turned in a request to my advisor to take an online calc-based physics class from CCC Online through Pikes Peak Community College (http://www.ccconline.org/courses/programs/Science/ [Broken] -- PHYS211-212). My university doesn't offer any physics courses, which is why I'm trying to get approval to take the course. If approved, its a guaranteed transfer. I'll find out in approximately 10 days.

On another note, if you click on the PHYS211 course, you get the following message in the course description: This course is one of the Statewide Guaranteed Transfer courses. GT-SC1.

Hope this is something you were looking for. If so, I'll keep you updated on whether or not my school will allow / accept the credits for transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the process for getting college credit for online learning?

The process for getting college credit for online learning varies depending on the institution and the specific course. Generally, students must first enroll in an accredited online course and complete all required assignments and assessments. They may then need to submit transcripts or other documentation to their school for evaluation. This evaluation process may involve a review of the course syllabus, assignments, and exams to determine if the course meets the standards for college credit.

Can all online courses be used for college credit?

No, not all online courses are eligible for college credit. In order for a course to be considered for credit, it must be accredited and meet the standards set by the institution. It is important to research the accreditation of the online course and the transfer credit policies of the school before enrolling.

How many credits can I earn through online learning?

The number of credits that can be earned through online learning will vary depending on the institution and the specific course. Some schools may limit the number of credits that can be earned through online learning, while others may allow students to earn the same amount of credits as in-person courses. It is important to check with the school to understand their policies on online learning credits.

How do I ensure the credits I earn through online learning will transfer to other institutions?

To ensure that the credits you earn through online learning will transfer to other institutions, it is important to research the accreditation of the online course and the transfer credit policies of the school you wish to transfer to. You may also need to provide documentation such as a course syllabus or transcript to the receiving institution for evaluation.

Can I use online learning to fulfill general education requirements?

Yes, many colleges and universities allow students to fulfill general education requirements through online courses. However, it is important to check with the institution to ensure that the specific online course will fulfill the required credits and subject areas for general education. Some schools may have limitations on the number or types of online courses that can be used for general education requirements.