Finding the equilibrium bwetween two celestial bodies

In summary: So in summary, use the following equation to solve for radial and gravitational force between two masses:Radial force:F=G*(M1+M2)Gravity:F=G*M1M2
cm_student
I am trying to find the easiest and simplest way of calculating the distance that two celestial bodies would need to be apart, in order for those celestial bodies to never get closer or further away from each other. I have the values of the mass, density, radius, volume and gravity of the two celestial bodies, is it possible to use the values I have to work out how far apart they would need to be to remain in a state of equilibrium? The smaller mass(M1) is orbiting around the larger mass(M2).

I tried to use the following equation, but to no avail because I neither have the gravitational force(F) nor do I have the radial distance (r) between the masses.

Newton's law of gravity: F = (M1 * M2) / r^12

I am looking for an equation that will help me to solve this problem for all planetary bodies.
Thanks for any and all help. Please keep answers as simple as possible :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no fixed distance. As they get closer together, they have to go faster to remain in equilibrium.

It sounds like you're looking for the circular velocity formula. There's a specific velocity for any distance between 2 objects.

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{G(M1+M2)}{r}}[/tex]

Take Earth around the Sun for example. Plugging in numbers:
G=6.67 * 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
M1=5.97 * 1024 kg
M2=1.99 *1030 kg
r=150000000000 m

gives you 29.7 km/s. This is tangental velocity. Radial velocity (towards or away from the Sun) would be 0. In reality, small deviations from these numbers give Earth a slightly elliptical orbit.

In your above formula for force, you need the gravitational constant G. Without it, you've simply set up a proportion. Force is proportional to the product of the masses and inversly proportional to the square of the distance. With G included, you actually compute the force.

1. What is meant by "equilibrium" between two celestial bodies?

Equilibrium between two celestial bodies refers to a state of balance or stability in their gravitational interactions. This means that the forces of attraction between the two bodies are equal and opposite, resulting in a stable orbit.

2. How is the equilibrium between two celestial bodies calculated?

The equilibrium between two celestial bodies is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravitational attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This formula can be used to determine the equilibrium point where the forces are balanced.

3. Why is finding the equilibrium between two celestial bodies important?

Finding the equilibrium between two celestial bodies is important for understanding their orbital dynamics and predicting their future movements. It also helps scientists study the gravitational effects of these bodies on each other and the surrounding space.

4. Can the equilibrium between two celestial bodies change?

Yes, the equilibrium between two celestial bodies can change over time due to various factors such as the bodies' masses, their distance from each other, and the presence of other celestial bodies. However, these changes occur slowly and can be predicted using mathematical models.

5. How do scientists use the equilibrium between two celestial bodies in their research?

Scientists use the equilibrium between two celestial bodies in their research to study the gravitational interactions between them and to make predictions about their future movements. This information can also be used to understand the formation and evolution of celestial bodies and their impact on the surrounding space.