Calculating Net Force on a Charge Near an Infinite Grounded Conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the net force on a charge q placed on the x-axis between two positive charges, with one charge being twice the magnitude of the other. The problem also involves an infinite, grounded conduction plane. The solution involves taking into account the mirror image of the charges on the opposite side of the plane and using the equation for the force between two charges. The conversation also touches upon the concept of equipotential and the complexity of using the image charge approach for nonplanar surfaces.
quantumworld
Dear reader,
here is a question that I stumbled upon, and I would like some insight on it :bugeye:

two positive charges q and 2q coulombs are located on the x-axis
at x = .5a and 1.5a, respectively. There is an infinite, grounded conduction plane at x =0. What is the magnitude of the net force on the charge q?

my problem is that I am unable to account for that infinite grounded conductor, I am unable to imagine which kind of force is it going to
exert on q.

Many thanks :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
quantumworld said:
at x = .5a and 1.5a, respectively. There is an infinite, grounded conduction plane at x =0. What is the magnitude of the net force on the charge q?

my problem is that I am unable to account for that infinite grounded conductor, I am unable to imagine which kind of force is it going to
exert on q.

There are some negative charges on the grounded conductor plane accumulated by induction. The effect of this charge distribution is the same as if we had the mirror images of the charges in front of the plane behind the plane, and with opposite sign.

ehild

Last edited:
So is it (1/2)*k*q^2 ? I have to take the GRE's in a month, and the Physics Subject one in November. I am dreading the physics one...

I got this answer by mirroring both across the plane with opposite charges, then added the 3 forces together.

THank you Healey, and ehild ! :smile:

I do remember something about this mirror image, and now I got it right, but it is kindof a magical solution, instead of dealing with the mess of charges on the conducting plate, we could treated as a mirror image, I wonder how did they come up with that theory, but I am glad they did :biggrin:

Last edited:
Healey01 said:
So is it (1/2)*k*q^2 ? I have to take the GRE's in a month, and the Physics Subject one in November. I am dreading the physics one...

I got this answer by mirroring both across the plane with opposite charges, then added the 3 forces together.

Draw arrows pointing into the direction of the forces the individual charges exert on the charge "+q". The "+2q" charge repels it, the negative charges on the opposite side attract it. And do not forget to include the distance between the charges in the formula for the force.

ehild

ehild said:
Draw arrows pointing into the direction of the forces the individual charges exert on the charge "+q". The "+2q" charge repels it, the negative charges on the opposite side attract it. And do not forget to include the distance between the charges in the formula for the force.

ehild

Ahh, forgot about which way theyre pushing. Gotta get more complicated and use vectors.

k*([(-2q)(q)/2^2](-i) + [(-q)(q)/1^2](-i) + [(2q)(q)/1^2](i)) = (7/2)kq^2

quantumworld said:
THank you Healey, and ehild ! :smile:

I do remember something about this mirror image, and now I got it right, but it is kindof a magical solution, instead of dealing with the mess of charges on the conducting plate, we could treated as a mirror image, I wonder how did they come up with that theory, but I am glad they did :biggrin:

It's not magic. A (perfectly) conducting surface must be an equipotential. You probably know from your introduction to fields that if you have two charges of opposite sign that there is a plane between them that is at a single potential.

The problem really becomes interesting when you try the image charge approach to a nonplanar conducting surface such as a sphere. It turns out that it requires an infinite series of image charges to get the equipotential!

Healey01 said:
Ahh, forgot about which way theyre pushing. Gotta get more complicated and use vectors.

k*([(-2q)(q)/2^2](-i) + [(-q)(q)/1^2](-i) + [(2q)(q)/1^2](i)) = (7/2)kq^2

This is almost all right but a^2 is missing from the denominator.

ehild

ehild said:
This is almost all right but a^2 is missing from the denominator.

ehild

I don't see it, please show me.

Healey01 said:
I don't see it, please show me.

There were "a*s in your first post.

Healey01 said:
Dear reader,
here is a question that I stumbled upon, and I would like some insight on it

ehild

ehild said:
There were "a*s in your first post.

ehild

uhhh, i didnt post this problem. And i assumed those were angstroms. I like how you quoted someone elses post then put my name on it :tongue2:

Healey01 said:
uhhh, i didnt post this problem. And i assumed those were angstroms. I like how you quoted someone elses post then put my name on it :tongue2:

Sorry... I just did not look at your name, I did not recognize that it was not quamtumworld any more but you... Or it was not you who originally posted the problem. Can you forgive a scatterbrained old lady? :blushing:
By the way I do not think they are angstroms. Charge "q" and 2q, position "0.5a" and 1.5a. "q" and "a" can be anything.

ehild

1. What is the electric force?

The electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It is responsible for the interactions between atoms, molecules, and larger objects.

2. How is the electric force measured?

The electric force is measured using a unit called the Coulomb, which is represented by the symbol C. It is a measure of the amount of charge and the distance between the charged particles involved.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric force?

The strength of the electric force is affected by the amount of charge on the particles involved and the distance between them. It follows an inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases as the distance between the particles increases.

4. How is the electric force related to the electric field?

The electric force and the electric field are closely related. The electric field is a measure of the force that a charged particle would experience at a particular point in space. The electric force can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the electric field at that point.

5. How is the electric force used in real-life applications?

The electric force has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and batteries. It is also used in medical imaging technology, such as MRI machines, and in telecommunications to transmit information through electrical signals.