Continuous functions on metric spaces with restrictions

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of a function f from metric spaces E to E' when restricted to closed subsets S_1 and S_2 of E. It is shown that if the restrictions of f to S_1 and S_2 are continuous, then f is continuous. The conversation also explores the possibility of dropping the restriction that S_1 and S_2 are closed and whether the assertion still holds. Finally, it is mentioned that a function is continuous if and only if the inverse image of a closed set is closed.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

Let [itex]E,E'[/itex] be metric spaces, [itex]f:E\rightarrow E'[/itex] a function, and suppose that [itex]S_1,S_2[/itex] are closed subsets of [itex]E[/itex] such that [itex]E = S_1 \cup S_2[/itex]. Show that if the restrictions of [itex]f[/itex] to [itex]S_1,S_2[/itex] are continuous, then [itex]f[/itex] is continuous. Also, if the restriction that [itex]S_1,S_2[/itex] are closed is dropped, does the assertion still hold? Explain.

Homework Equations

Definition of continuity of a function from [itex](E,d)[/itex] to [itex](E',d')[/itex] at a point [itex]p_0[/itex]: A function is continuous at [itex]p_0[/itex] if for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] and [itex]p \in E[/itex], there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]d(p,p_0) < \delta[/itex], [itex] d'(f(p),f(p_0)) < \epsilon[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]p, p_0 \in E[/itex] and let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. Then there are two cases to consider:

1.) Since in [itex]S_1,S_2[/itex], for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]p \in S_1[/itex] (or equivalently [itex]S_2[/itex]), if [itex]d(p,p_0) < \delta, d'(f(p),f(p_0)) < \epsilon[/itex] by the definition of continuity. If, for the given choice of [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the corresponding [itex]\delta[/itex] is such that [itex]B_{\delta}^E(p_0) = B_{\delta}^{S_1}(p_0)[/itex] (i.e. if the ball of radius [itex]\delta[/itex] is entirely contained in [itex]S_1[/itex]), then by hypothesis, [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex]p_0[/itex]. The same logic applies for [itex]S_2[/itex].

2.) Now suppose that the corresponding [itex]\delta[/itex] is such that [itex]B_{\delta}^E(p_0) \neq B_{\delta}^{S_1}(p_0)[/itex]. In other words, some of the elements of the ball computed in [itex]E[/itex] are in [itex]S_1[/itex], while some are in [itex]S_2[/itex].

I'm not sure where to go from here. I have an idea (just separating into two separate balls those elements of [itex]S_1,S_2[/itex] and applying the hypothesis), but this idea does not use the fact that the two sets are closed.

As for the final part of the question, if both sets are open, then f is continuous (due to a theorem involving the preimage of a function being open implying that f is continuous), but I feel like if one of the sets is open, while the other is closed, the assertion wouldn't hold. I think figuring out how to involve the fact that the sets are closed into the main part of the proof would go a long way to figuring this out, but I'm not sure.

Thanks so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen that a function iss continuous iff every inverse image of a closed/open set is closed/open? That would make it a lot easier...

I've seen that that is the case iff the inverse image of an open set is open. To prove it for closed sets, is it just a matter of replacing the word "open" with "closed" in the proof for the open case, or is it more complicated than that?

No, I don't think replacing the word open with closed would suffice. But it's not that hard to show:

[tex] F~\text{closed}~\Rightarrow~Y\setminus F~\text{open}~\Rightarrow~f^{-1}(Y\setminus F)=X\setminus f^{-1}(F)~\text{open}~\Rightarrow~f^{-1}(F)~\text{closed}[/tex]

The other implication is analogous.

So a map is continuous if the inverse image of a closed set is closed. Can you prove it now?

Easy enough. Thank you so so much! I'm still not sure how to show that if one of those subsets is closed and the other is open, the function is not continuous, though. Any ideas on that?

Can you give an arbitrary discontinuous function. It will probably be piecewise defined. Can you split that domain up in an open and a closed set?

Gotcha. Thanks again!

1. What is the definition of a continuous function on a metric space with restrictions?

A continuous function on a metric space with restrictions is a function that preserves the structure of the metric space under the given restrictions. This means that for any two points in the metric space, if the distance between them is small enough, the distance between their images under the function will also be small.

2. How is continuity defined in a metric space with restrictions?

In a metric space with restrictions, continuity is defined using the concept of open sets. A function is continuous if the inverse image of every open set in the codomain is an open set in the domain.

3. What is the importance of continuous functions on metric spaces with restrictions?

Continuous functions on metric spaces with restrictions are important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and geometry. They allow us to study the behavior of functions on specific subsets of metric spaces, and provide a powerful tool for understanding the structure of these spaces.

4. Can a continuous function on a metric space with restrictions have discontinuities?

Yes, it is possible for a continuous function on a metric space with restrictions to have discontinuities. These discontinuities may occur at the boundary points of the restricted set, where the function may not be defined or may not satisfy the conditions for continuity.

5. How are continuous functions on metric spaces with restrictions related to open and closed sets?

In a metric space with restrictions, a function is continuous if and only if the inverse image of every open set is open and the inverse image of every closed set is closed. This shows the close relationship between continuous functions and open and closed sets in these spaces.