Rooting for the Steelers: A Cleveland Native's Story

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: I live in Patriots territory these days, but I'm a Pennsylvania native, so that makes my choice pretty easy!I don't care who wins out of the two teams. But I hope to one day see the Steelers in the Super Bowl.I don't care who wins out of the two teams. But I hope to one day see the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Who are you rooting for in the Super Bowl?

• Green Bay Packers

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Super Bowl? What's that?

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of dozens of post-game articles I've read this morning, I feel http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jordy-nelson-green-bay-packers-surprise-super-bowl-star-020611"tells the best behind-the-scenes story of the Packers trials both before and during the game, as well as their triumph.

What was hurting? “Everything,” [Nelson] said. “But it’s OK. We won the Super Bowl.”

ETA: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/-Win-Injured-Woodson-breaks-down-during-halftim?urn=nfl-317672" highlights one of the reasons why they came back so strong in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow American football, so I don't really have much to say about the game. However, I think the halftime performance was probably one of the worst I've ever seen. I think it sounded terrible.

Dembadon said:
I don't follow American football, so I don't really have much to say about the game. However, I think the halftime performance was probably one of the worst I've ever seen. I think it sounded terrible.

Agreed. Just a bunch of lights and noise.

I'm sooooo happy the Packers won. I'm sick of the Steelers winning so much. Plus it seems like the league favors the Steelers more than any other team..

Half way through the 4th quarter the announcer said their had only been ten running plays in the entire game. It's all air ball now. I don't know how they pull this off without the excessive turnovers this would have caused years ago, but they do. Who needs running backs anymore?

mheslep said:
Half way through the 4th quarter the announcer said their had only been ten running plays in the entire game. It's all air ball now. I don't know how they pull this off without the excessive turnovers this would have caused years ago, but they do. Who needs running backs anymore?

This was game plan. The Steelers have an amazing run defense. They also have an excellent front 7 (offensive line and linebackers). The Packers offensive game plan was to spread the Pittsburgh defense out using wide routes along the edges and then deeper crossing routes in the middle. This forces the linebackers to move back and cover or risk having lots of one on one matchups.

Lack of interceptions is a function of mostly one on one matchups against receivers and well thrown passes by Rodgers.

Regarding running backs: The Steelers were running all over the Packers, even when they were down. This almost lost the Packers the game. If Big Ben wouldn't have thrown so many interceptions and gotten so far behind, Pittsburgh could have ran the ball more and likely made the game MUCH, MUCH more difficult on the Packers.

fillipeano said:
Plus it seems like the league favors the Steelers more than any other team..

I think that you are forgetting about the Patriots. lol

I am glad i didnt bet anyone!

I was going to bet on steelers for $100 [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

It was a good game though [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Last edited by a moderator: