Exploring the Physics of Stretching a Rubber Band

In summary: The original question was about a rubber band that was "repeatedly stretched and relaxe[d]". You're both focusing on the second half, the relaxation, in which the polymer chains are allowed to re-kink and re-coil, increasing their configurational entropy. Over the complete cycle, the configurational entropy is unchanged. Any temperature increase must be due to friction.
abcd8989
Why a rubber band gets warmer when repeatedly stretched and relaxes? Where does the gained ME comes from? Besides, does rubber band obeys Hooke's Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any temperature increase after stretching and releasing would be due to internal friction, from polymer chains moving past each other. And every solid obeys Hooke's Law for small enough deformations. Take a look at a stress-strain curve for rubber to see how its stiffness changes as you stretch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapes said:
Any temperature increase after stretching and releasing would be due to internal friction, from polymer chains moving past each other. And every solid obeys Hooke's Law for small enough deformations. Take a look at a stress-strain curve for rubber to see how its stiffness changes as you stretch it.

I kinda thought it was due at least in part to thermodynamics. Try this: Get a largish rubber band, stretch it tightly (using both hands) while holding it against your upper lip. It will feel warmer right after the stretch. Now move the rubber band away from your lip but keep it stretched, hold it that way for maybe 30 seconds or so. Then hold it aginst your lip again and immediately relax the stretch and it will feel cool. The cooling wouldn't be due to friction, right?

So what is the true rational behind? And does it have something to do with elastic hysteresis?

No, and the question you had asked does not correspond to reality. If you relax a stretched rubber band it should cool.

Oldfart said:
I kinda thought it was due at least in part to thermodynamics. Try this: Get a largish rubber band, stretch it tightly (using both hands) while holding it against your upper lip. It will feel warmer right after the stretch. Now move the rubber band away from your lip but keep it stretched, hold it that way for maybe 30 seconds or so. Then hold it aginst your lip again and immediately relax the stretch and it will feel cool. The cooling wouldn't be due to friction, right?

Dickfore said:
No, and the question you had asked does not correspond to reality. If you relax a stretched rubber band it should cool.

The original question was about a rubber band that was "repeatedly stretched and relaxe[d]". You're both focusing on the second half, the relaxation, in which the polymer chains are allowed to re-kink and re-coil, increasing their configurational entropy. But over the complete cycle, the configurational entropy is unchanged. Any temperature increase must be due to friction.

I can't believe you people have me stretching rubber bands on my lips . What's next ?

" I put some salt in my eye and was wondering... ":tongue2:

I noticed that the faster the stretch, the more heat generated, I understand that, ...the cooling,...I noticed the rubberband , when relaxed against the lip, tends to draw the skin together in tiny folds as it relaxes, might there me some slight loss of heat transfer by conduction, in the form of less surface area contact between lip and rubber band ?

One would think that if the rubber were making surface contact on the relax, like it is when you are initially stretching it, it would generate a slight amount of heat from friction.

If you stretch the band out, let it cool, then draw it across your lip, you will sense the slight rise in temp from friction.

I read somewhere's that our lips are the most temperature sensitive area on our bodies, would they be able to discern such a small difference in temperature ?

Now, excuse while I go find my chapstick, this has been ...taxing

1. What is the physics behind stretching a rubber band?

The physics behind stretching a rubber band is based on the concept of elasticity. Rubber bands are made of long chains of molecules that can stretch and return to their original shape. When a rubber band is stretched, the molecules are pulled apart, but they still want to return to their original state. This creates a force known as tension, which causes the rubber band to resist the stretching and eventually return to its resting state.

2. Why does a rubber band become harder to stretch as it is stretched further?

A rubber band becomes harder to stretch as it is stretched further because the tension force increases as the molecules are pulled further apart. This increase in tension is due to the fact that the molecules are being stretched closer to their breaking point, making it more difficult to continue stretching the rubber band.

3. Is there a limit to how far a rubber band can stretch?

Yes, there is a limit to how far a rubber band can stretch. This limit is known as the elastic limit and it is the point at which the rubber band can no longer return to its original shape. If a rubber band is stretched beyond its elastic limit, it will permanently deform or break.

4. How does temperature affect the stretching of a rubber band?

Temperature can affect the stretching of a rubber band in two ways. Firstly, at higher temperatures, the molecules in the rubber band have more energy and are able to stretch further before reaching their elastic limit. On the other hand, at lower temperatures, the molecules have less energy and are more tightly bound, making it harder to stretch the rubber band. Secondly, extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, can cause the rubber band to lose its elasticity over time, making it less stretchy.

5. What happens to the energy stored in a stretched rubber band?

When a rubber band is stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of tension. This energy is stored in the bonds between the molecules that are being pulled apart. When the rubber band is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the rubber band returns to its original shape. This is why a stretched rubber band will snap back quickly and with force when released.