Books for Reviewing Undergraduate Mathematics Before Grad School

In summary, a person is starting their graduate study in mathematics and wants to review topics in algebra, analysis, topology, and geometry before beginning in August. They are mostly interested in reviewing analysis and have been recommended books such as Knapp's Basic Analysis and "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that". Others have also suggested books on multivariable calculus and resources for graduate students in mathematics.
PieceOfPi
Hi,

I will be starting my graduate study in mathematics in August 2011, and I was thinking of reviewing mathematics that I have learned while I was an undergraduate as soon as my summer vacation begins in June.

The topics that I am considering to review include algebra (abstract and linear), analysis (real & complex), topology, and geometry. Of course, if there are other subjects that I should review before beginning my study at the grad school, please let me know.

I am mostly interested in reviewing analysis, since I took both real and complex analysis sequences last year (I studied all the other topics that I mentioned above this year). For real analysis, my class Baby Rudin for single-variable stuff, and Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds for the multivariable calc. For complex analysis, my class used Brown/Churchill.

In the past, I asked a similar question, and one person recommended me Anthony Knapp's Basic Analysis for reviewing real analysis. While I have not studied from this book before, the topics covered in this book seems reasonable, and I also like the idea of having solutions to the exercises (great for self-study).

Let me know if you have any recommendation of books and topics to review over the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in a similar situation. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good refresher book in multivariable calculus? I.e. one that will cover the important concepts but in a manner that is perhaps more sophisticated than what you encounter in a first year undergrad course?

slamminsammya said:
I am in a similar situation. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good refresher book in multivariable calculus? I.e. one that will cover the important concepts but in a manner that is perhaps more sophisticated than what you encounter in a first year undergrad course?

I have heard good things about "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393925161/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I am not sure if this matches up with the rigor that you are looking for (how much more sophisticated?), but it is very well received both on these forums and elsewhere.

"
I had three years of higher-level calculus between my BS and MS in mechanical engineering, and none of these classes have explained the concepts in this book with such clarity and accessibility. The sample problems at the end of each chapter cement the concepts just learned. For me, they were just challenging enough to test and hone my skills, but not so crazy that I felt like I was stroking some intellectual ego instead of learning practical concepts.

I highly recommend it to people of similar backgrounds as myself--people with already decent math backgrounds, but who need to hone their vector calculus skills to enter the world of physics, electrical engineering, fluid mechanics, continuum mechanics, or anything else along those lines (lines! Hah! Pun!). I feel like this book was written just for me! Are there really that many of us?

"

(From amazon -- the first comment that I saw..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that reviewing mathematics before starting graduate school is a great idea. It shows that you are dedicated to your studies and want to start off on the right foot. It is important to review all the topics that you mentioned, as they are fundamental to your future studies in mathematics.

I agree with the recommendation of Knapp's Basic Analysis for reviewing real analysis. It is a well-respected and comprehensive book that covers all the necessary topics for graduate level study. Additionally, having solutions to the exercises is a great resource for self-study.

In terms of other subjects to review, I would suggest looking into probability and statistics, as they are also important for graduate level mathematics. Some recommended books for these topics include Sheldon Ross's A First Course in Probability and Hogg and Craig's Introduction to Mathematical Statistics.

Overall, it is great that you are taking the initiative to review before starting graduate school. It will definitely benefit you in the long run and help you succeed in your studies. Best of luck!

1. What is the purpose of a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school?

A book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school serves as a refresher or supplement to help students prepare for more advanced math courses in graduate school.

2. Who can benefit from using a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school?

Undergraduate students who are planning to pursue a graduate degree in math or related fields, as well as current graduate students who want to brush up on their foundational math skills, can benefit from using a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school?

The topics covered in a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school may vary, but commonly include algebra, calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some books may also cover topics in discrete mathematics and analysis.

4. Are there any recommended books for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school?

Yes, there are many recommended books for reviewing undergraduate mathematics before grad school. Some popular choices include "A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics" by Martin Liebeck, "Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction" by Timothy Gowers, and "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel Velleman.

5. How can using a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics benefit me in graduate school?

Using a book for reviewing undergraduate mathematics can help you build a strong foundation in fundamental math concepts, which will be essential for success in more advanced courses in graduate school. It can also help you refresh your knowledge and gain confidence in your mathematical abilities.