Which classical mechanics book is better: Taylor's or Marion and Thornton's?

In summary, an intermediate mechanics book covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, rotational motion, and simple harmonic motion. Prior knowledge of calculus is necessary for understanding the concepts and equations. It differs from beginner and advanced level books by assuming basic understanding and introducing more complex concepts. Recommended resources for an intermediate mechanics book may include online tutorials, practice problems, and laboratory experiments. It can be used for self-study or in a classroom setting with access to a teacher or tutor for additional support.
bahal2
Hi all,

I am looking for a good classical mechanics book to self-study. I'm trying to decide whether to get Taylor's Classical Mechanics or Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems. Which one of these would you recommend?

Also, is there any substantial difference between the 4th and 5th editions of Marion and Thornton?

Thanks,
Aleksandar

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Taylor for my class and I liked it. His derivation of Rutherford scattering was intriguing, was slightly different than the one found in most textbooks.

1. What topics are covered in an intermediate mechanics book?

An intermediate mechanics book typically covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, rotational motion, and simple harmonic motion.

2. Is prior knowledge of calculus required for an intermediate mechanics book?

Yes, an understanding of basic calculus is typically necessary for understanding the concepts and equations in an intermediate mechanics book.

3. What makes an intermediate mechanics book different from a beginner or advanced level book?

An intermediate mechanics book typically assumes a basic understanding of physics principles and introduces more complex concepts and mathematical equations than a beginner level book. It also may cover a wider range of topics than an advanced level book.

4. Are there any recommended resources to accompany an intermediate mechanics book?

Some recommended resources to accompany an intermediate mechanics book may include online tutorials, practice problems, or laboratory experiments to further enhance understanding of the material.

5. Can an intermediate mechanics book be used for self-study or is it best used in a classroom setting?

An intermediate mechanics book can be used for self-study, but it may be helpful to have access to a teacher or tutor for clarification and additional support when needed. It can also be used in a classroom setting as a primary or supplementary textbook.