Physics w/calculus study books?

In summary, the speaker is returning to school and wants recommendations for physics books with sample problems. They mention an intro physics book by Young and Freedman and suggest using it with Walter Lewis' videos. They also mention online resources and the possibility of studying in a library.
ardents
I'm heading back to school and I never finished the second semester of physics w/ calculus, which was a few years ago. Let's just say I'm taking a lighter course load to make sure I have time to study. Any suggested books with possible sample problems anyone can recommend? I've seen a lot of online resources on this forum which I will be looking at as well, but sometimes nothing beats sitting in a library with a couple of books. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a intro physics book by Young and Freedman that tends to be the standard for intro University physics. It's just called 'University Physics', that should be enough. It's a massive 'tome' though so I hope you don't mind heavy books.

Whatever book you choose, you can use it with Walter Lewis' videos.

http://academicearth.org/universities/mit/subject:25

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks!

I would highly recommend investing in a comprehensive physics textbook that covers both classical mechanics and electromagnetism, with a focus on using calculus to solve problems. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. These textbooks not only provide clear explanations of concepts, but also include plenty of practice problems with varying levels of difficulty to help you master the material.

In addition to a textbook, I would also suggest checking out study guides or review books specifically geared towards physics with calculus. These resources often include sample problems and solutions, as well as tips and tricks for tackling challenging concepts.

Finally, don't underestimate the value of online resources. Many universities have lecture notes, practice problems, and even recorded lectures available online for free. You can also find numerous physics problem-solving websites and forums that offer additional practice problems and explanations.

Ultimately, the key to success in physics with calculus is consistent and dedicated practice. So make sure to set aside time each day to work through problems and seek help when needed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the purpose of studying physics with calculus?

Studying physics with calculus allows you to understand and describe the physical world in a more precise and mathematical way. It also enables you to solve more complex problems and make accurate predictions based on mathematical models.

2. Which calculus concepts are important for studying physics?

The most important calculus concepts for studying physics include derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. These concepts are used to describe the rate of change, accumulation, and relationship between variables in physical systems.

3. What are some recommended physics with calculus study books?

Some highly recommended physics with calculus study books include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. These books provide a comprehensive coverage of both physics and calculus concepts.

4. Can I study physics with calculus if I am not an expert in mathematics?

While a solid understanding of basic calculus concepts is necessary for studying physics, you do not need to be an expert in mathematics to succeed. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and apply the necessary calculus skills to study physics effectively.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics with calculus?

To improve your understanding of physics with calculus, it is important to not only focus on solving problems but also to develop a conceptual understanding of the underlying principles. Practice regularly, seek help from instructors or tutors, and engage in hands-on experiments to solidify your understanding of the material.