Mechanics book recommendations

In summary, if you are looking for a good mechanics book, Spivak is a great resource. For more advanced options, consider Landau & Lifschits' book (volume 1 of the set) or Goldstein's editions. For those with a passion for mathematics, Arnold's book or one of Marsden's books may be more suitable. For beginners, An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow or relevant chapters in books like Halliday and Resnick, Serway, or Young and Freedman are recommended. French's Newtonian Mechanics is also a good choice for those looking for a more manageable option.
Spearmintz
can anyone recommend a good mechanics book.
i have just finished learning calculus from spivak
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak has probably taught you well. I would consider a combination between Landau & Lifschits' book (volume 1 of the set) and one of the editions of Goldstein.

If you have a passion for mathematics, then either Arnold's book or one Marsden's books should please you.

dextercioby said:
Spivak has probably taught you well. I would consider a combination between Landau & Lifschits' book (volume 1 of the set) and one of the editions of Goldstein.

If you have a passion for mathematics, then either Arnold's book or one Marsden's books should please you.

That's pretty hard-core telling someone to start off with those books.

Spearmintz how much physics do you know? If you don't know any then I recommend An Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel Kleppner and Robert J. Kolenkow, or for something more tractable, the relevant chapters in a book like Halliday and Resnick, or Serway, or Young and Freedman etc.

I would recommend the following mechanics books based on your background in calculus:

1. "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor - This book covers the fundamentals of mechanics using a mathematical approach, making it a great next step after learning calculus. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to reinforce understanding.

2. "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow - This book is highly recommended for its clear and concise explanations of mechanics concepts, as well as its challenging problem sets.

3. "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon - This book is known for its rigorous treatment of mechanics, making it a great reference for those looking for a deeper understanding of the subject.

I would also suggest checking out online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy for additional lessons and practice problems in mechanics. Happy learning!

What are the best mechanics books for beginners?

Some popular mechanics books for beginners include "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by Russell C. Hibbeler and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

Which mechanics books are recommended for advanced learners?

For advanced learners, recommended mechanics books include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin and "Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics" by Walter Greiner.

Are there any mechanics books that focus on specific topics?

Yes, there are mechanics books that focus on specific topics such as "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White and "Mechanics of Materials" by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno.

What are some mechanics books that include practical applications?

"Mechanics of Materials" by William F. Riley, Leroy D. Sturges, and Don H. Morris includes practical applications and examples, as well as "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by Andrew Pytel and Jaan Kiusalaas.

Can you recommend mechanics books with interactive elements?

Some mechanics books with interactive elements include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: Mechanics" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, which includes online simulations, and "Mechanics for Engineers" by Ferdinand P. Beer and E. Russell Johnston Jr., which includes a companion website with interactive exercises.